Read the IRS acting commissioner's resignation letter
May 15th, 2013

Read the IRS acting commissioner's resignation letter

(CNN) – In a letter to Internal Revenue Service employees, acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller announced "with regret" that he'll be leaving the agency in early June.

"This has been an incredibly difficult time for the IRS given the events of the past few days, and there is a strong and immediate need to restore public trust in the nation's tax agency," said Miller, a 25-year IRS veteran. "I believe the Service will benefit from having a new acting commissioner in place during this challenging period."

Read the full letter below.

CNN obtained the memo shortly after President Barack Obama announced from the White House that Treasury Secretary Jack Lew requested Miller's resignation.

May 15, 2013

The internal message to IRS Employees from Acting IRS Commissioner Steven T. Miller

Dear Colleagues,

It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June. This has been an incredibly difficult time for the IRS given the events of the past few days, and there is a strong and immediate need to restore public trust in the nation's tax agency. I believe the Service will benefit from having a new Acting Commissioner in place during this challenging period. As I wrap up my time at the IRS, I will be focused on an orderly transition.

While I recognize that much work needs to be done to restore faith in the IRS, I don't want anyone to lose sight of the fact that the IRS is comprised of incredibly dedicated and hard-working public servants. During my 25-year IRS career, I am profoundly proud to have worked alongside you and to be part of an institution that has worked hard to support the nation. I have strong confidence in the IRS leadership team to continue the important work of our agency.

I want to thank everyone for all of their support and friendship during my career in government service. And I especially want to thank each and every one of you for your continued commitment to the nation's taxpayers.

Steve

Filed under: IRS
  1. bergus

is this really who we want to help with an 'orderly transition'? hit the door jack. and be happy you're not up on charges.

May 15, 2013 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  2. John

So the "Acting" IRS Commisioner" was forced to commit Harakiri.Oh well, the show's over. Now get back to the important stuff like the Kardashians or how the Repulicans are to blame for everything wrong in the world.

May 15, 2013 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  3. nuclear mike

Crocodile tears for the IRS and the President...

May 15, 2013 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  4. IRS

This was not a low level employee. These orders came from higher up. The IRS is the enforcement wing of the corrupt administration.

May 15, 2013 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  5. Nelson Der

I think it's a shame that Acting IRS Commissioner Stephen Miller has to take a hit for doing his job. It's the function of the IRS to collect taxes and it's proper for the tax payer to pay as little as possible. Non-profit listing brings immense tax benefits because they are suppose to do social good and their reward is no taxes. Even if one is not doing social good, trying to increase one's profit is normal. The title "Tea Party" doesn't imply doing social good and does imply a political agenda. The real question should be why did Congress fail to do right by writing such poor legislation that allows a political organization to receive non-profit status. It's Congress that should resign and not a loyal American like Commissioner Miller.

May 15, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  6. Larry L

If the IRS isn't allowed to profile PACs who clearly aren't tax exempt they might as well just quit collecting taxes. The Tea Baggers most certainly would love to find a way to cheat the federal government – their goal is to destroy most of our federal agencies.

If an organization like a Texas Militia constantly speaks of armed rebellion would the FBI give them a good look? I hope so. This is no different but nobody has the stones to speak out.

May 15, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. BE

This guy is obviously taking the fall. He will have a job for as long as Obama has any power, wherever he ends up after the white house, because thats typical chicago politics.

May 15, 2013 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  8. henry c

I hope the IDIOT is not getting a severance package or pension payment for his stupidity ..but I am sure he will.

May 15, 2013 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  9. Kathy

Sacrificial lamb, this guy is. The policy was in place way before he became acting Commisioner. I am no fan of the fall guy concept.

May 15, 2013 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. Kathy

Jake, get to the bottom of this. You are the only one with the cojones and clout to figure this out and report the findings.

May 15, 2013 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  11. Jamie Beckett

Peculiar. The slug on this story reads, "Read the resignation letter." But there is no resignation letter here. Just an internal message to employees of the IRS explaining the departure of the boss.

Who resigns by sending a letter to their subordinates?

CNN misleads again. This is becoming something of a habit, isn't it.

May 15, 2013 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  12. Worf

oh damn. I lked him. he bought me lunch once.

May 15, 2013 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  13. Justjean

The question is, how does one create oversight and checks without having a draconian big brother workplace.? I doubt this IRS acting commissioner wanted anything like this behavior to happen. How will the next leader develop not only improved traiing, but increased analysis and oversight of what the investigators are doing? One wonders if in their zeal to complete more "telling"investigations and to put a stop to abuse of the 501(c)(4) option, some took the easy route and LOOKED for abuse where they seemed to be finding it. Not an excuse...but perhaps a realistic explanation as well as an indicator of need for much additional, yet dispassionate and even handed assessment of ALL 501(c)(4) groups.

May 15, 2013 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  14. buongiorno

GOD SPEED

May 15, 2013 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Spaz

"Restore public trust"?? When has there EVER been any public trust in the illegal IRS outfit?

May 15, 2013 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  16. tobytyler11

So did he resign because it was requested or was his assignment ending and he was resigning anyway?

May 15, 2013 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  17. tobytyler11

Did he resign because it was requested or because his term was ending and leaving regardless?

May 15, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  18. Kalua

Jack Lew has more off shore accounts than Mitt Romney.
    What about the non tax paying Timmy Geithner – but that's OK?
    Quite a crowd – wonder what George Souros is doing today.....
    This resignation is a sacrificial lamb who was ready to become a pensioner anyway.

May 15, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  19. Mariner II

Perfect time to do tax reform. 10% across the boards no loopholes and reign in all of the offshore tax cheats for big business. Ge paid no taxes on 30billion sales. Zero. Let me repeat that number. Zero. Why should the middle class have to pick up the tab for the wealthy. Did you get your bonus this year? We can do all of the other types of reforms later. Let's tackle taxes first so we can all make it to the promised land, intead of just a few.

May 15, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  20. Eric

Let's move to the flat tax system please. Let's make it so simple and fair accross the board. Taxes are an unnecessary evil that involves too much grey area and allows too many people to scam the system. You can't scam the flat tax. Each person only pays for what they need and use.

May 15, 2013 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Mr. Watson

"It is with regret that I will be departing from the IRS as my acting assignment ends in early June." Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like he was fired or that he resigned. Instead, since his "acting assignment" (whatever that means) "ends in June", he decided to step down. The way that I see it is if people went to jail because they looked up Obama's personal computer files, then people at the IRS who broke the law need to go to jail as well. It is only fair!

May 15, 2013 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  22. Steve

So he was fired...but is leaving in June when his post expires? Hummm....sounds like the POTUS is really not taking this seriously

May 16, 2013 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  23. Steve

Wow, I bet you will not allow comments on this because this situation is so FUBAR to use a military term.

May 16, 2013 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  24. theo

So they payoff or threaten some guy to take the fall, to give some eloquent letter.

When politics are involved the person blamed is rarely the culprit. They weave a tangled web and its never so simple

May 16, 2013 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  25. Dr_jack0040

This is a good first step. The next step is to expand the IG's audit to and investigation that includes the FBI and both houses of congress. This is necessary because the IG's report stated that investigating whether outside influence was involved was not I within the scope of the audit being conducted. The IRS stated no outside influence was exerted but according to AG Holder we already know that he believe perjury will be a forth coming charge against IRS officials.. From my perspective, I want this fixed so that those that have the power to seize our bank accounts and deny applications based on political position will never be able to do this again.

May 16, 2013 12:44 am at 12:44 am |