May 20th, 2013
11 months ago

Congressman describes path of destruction in Oklahoma hometown

(CNN) – The tornado that swept through the outskirts of Oklahoma City Monday destroyed parts of U.S. Rep. Tom Cole’s hometown, the Republican lawmaker told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer.

Speaking by phone, Cole said he recognized familiar landmarks in Moore, Oklahoma, as he was watching television images of the destruction, including roofs ripped off buildings and entire blocks leveled.

“I can literally recognize the homes and the businesses,” Cole said on “The Situation Room,” adding later: “This stuff is within blocks of where I live. These are neighborhoods I walk through when I go out in the evening.”

He added he had spoken to his wife and son, who live in the area and survived the storm in a reinforced room in their home, which does not have a basement.

“Moore is primarily a suburban city, so you're looking at a lot of housing as well as small business damage, and obviously the school in West Moore appears to have gotten hit again,” Cole said. “So you worry about anything because obviously you've got children in school.”

“They take this stuff very seriously, so I don't have any doubt the right things were done, but it's just awful,” he continued.

Filed under: Oklahoma
  1. California Gary

Just wondering........is this guy one of those "small government" Republicans? And how did he vote when the good people of New Jersey needed federal aid.....was he one of those that delayed the process and/or voted no? I wonder how much federal aid he would like to see now that it is his state and his neighborhood that got hit?

May 20, 2013 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Sniffit

So when do the GOPers/Teatrolls start demanding that OK can only have federal aid if we repeal the ACA or privatize SS? When?

May 20, 2013 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. PaulCat

I hope this republican lawmaker doesn't ask for federal help. Government is too big already.

May 20, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. The Elephant in the Room

I`m sure none of those "RED STATE" Congressmen will be asking for, nor voting in favor of, FEDERAL Aid for these Tornado victims. Afterall, we all remember how principled they were AGAINST Federal Spending when the "BLUE STATE" victims of Hurricane Sandy needed assistance. I`ll be keeping anEye on the National media types @ CNN & Fox to see if they hold [hose legislators kaccountable". Afterall, their outrage at the Justice Department supeona`s was explained by them as being justified due to their role in holding politicians "Accountable" So let`s see some of it. Wolf? Erin? Anderson? I`m waiting.

May 20, 2013 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  5. timvervba

What is the likelihood that Oklahoma Senators Coburn and Inhofe will vote no on any federal relief? But these two senators said no and held up relief to the East Coast states after Hurricane Sandy.

May 20, 2013 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. PJ

Our prayers go out to our Oklahoma neighbors.

May 20, 2013 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Wake up People!

I wonder of they're going to need FEMA???

May 20, 2013 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. Zerubbabel

Thank God that Rep Cole's family is safe and my prayers go out to the entire community. Especially to those who have experienced loss and suffering in this tragic disaster. A very special prayer for the little elementary school children. I wonder if Rep Cole will obstruct federal aid to his home town as he did to the victims of Sandy? I wonder if his sense of loss for the little school kids and parents of the Sandyhook tragedy would be the same if any of the little school kids were unfortunatey lost in his hometown tragedy.

May 20, 2013 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. Ed1

Watch out the government might write up laws to ban all twisters.

Our prayers go out to all the families and victims in all the states that were hit.

May 20, 2013 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. ThinkAgain

Was Eric Cantor around to tell Rep. Cole that in these tough budgetary times, we can't afford to assist Oklahoma right now?

May 20, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  11. GI Joe

WOW=== I suppose the feds won't have to help them since there are so many Tea Party groups in Oklahoma that will hop right in there and provide new homes, food, clothes, all the other stuff those poor victims need at this time, being as how they are a charitable group and collected millions of dollars in tax free contributions.

May 20, 2013 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  12. Donkey Party

Now, he'll be making sure that any federal money assistance will be offset by spending cuts before his state receives a dime, right?

May 21, 2013 05:21 am at 5:21 am |