E.W. Jackson: Nothing 'to rephrase or apologize for'
May 22nd, 2013
11 months ago

E.W. Jackson: Nothing 'to rephrase or apologize for'

(CNN) - E.W. Jackson, Virginia's new Republican nominee for lieutenant governor, said he has nothing to apologize for regarding his startling past comments about abortion, race and homosexuality.

"I say the things that I say because I'm a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me," Jackson told reporters Tuesday at a Fredericksburg campaign stop, according to the Washington Post.

"Attacking me because I hold to those principles is attacking every church-going person, every family that's living a traditional family life, everybody who believes that we all deserve the right to live," he continued. "So I don't have anything to rephrase or apologize for. I would just say people should not paint me as one-dimensional."

An African-American pastor and attorney from Chesapeake, Jackson has compared Planned Parenthood to the Ku Klux Klan and hammered African-Americans for their "slavish devotion" to the Democratic Party.

He has also referred to gays and lesbians as "sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally."

After Republican activists nominated Jackson at their party's convention in Richmond last weekend, Democrats began bringing Jackson's past statements into the limelight, seeking to discredit the conservative ticket, which includes gubernatorial nominee Ken Cuccinelli, at the top.

Cuccinelli, the state Attorney General, will likely face Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman, in the November election. Democrats will formally decide their nominee in a June 11 primary.

Poll numbers so far show neither party with a sizable lead in the race, less than six months before Election Day. Because Virginia voters elect the governor and lieutenant governor separately, it's possible that the winners could be from different parties.

– CNN's Ashley Killough, Paul Steinhauser and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Virginia
  1. Eddie B

The GOP makes real christians look bad

May 22, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Sniffit

"E.W. Jackson: Nothing 'to rephrase or apologize for'"

Except maybe all that opposition you had to the plan to desegregate Boston public Housing in Southy. Nutjob.

May 22, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. Sniffit

He even publicly opposed Mayor Flynn's plan for desegregating public housing in South Boston. Watch how fast CNN doesn't report on that. Blink...oops, missed it.

May 22, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Marcus

Liberty&JustForAll – Funny that with such a pen name you decide that 'All' doesn't really mean 'All' at all...

May 22, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Joi Gibson

You should apologize for maligning a group of people simply because you disagree with their lifestyle. You should apologize for generalizing the fact that African-Americans tend to vote democratic – they vote that way because they like the democratic policies, not some slavish devotion to the party. You should apologize for not knowing the difference. You should apologize for assuming all Christians hold the same beliefs as you. More importantly, you should apologize to all the people who you do not care about even though – should you win the election – you would be serving as an elected official – that would be ALL the people of Virginia.

May 22, 2013 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. We did it again.

As a Virginian I am supporting Ken Cucinelli but I won't support Jackson. So I will vote Republican and Democrat.

May 22, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. robert Jay

Like all Republicans – he never listens to himself speak – "every person ahs a right to libe" EXCEPT the ones he doesn't like or think should – as long aseveryone behave the way Republicans want them to the world will RIGHT! Really ???

May 22, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. robert Jay

Like all Republicans – he never listens to himself speak – "every person has a right to live" EXCEPT the ones he doesn't like or think should have those rights– as long as everyone behaves the way Republicans want them to the world will JUST RIGHT! Really ???

May 22, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Malory Archer

Well, alrighty then.

May 22, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. ST

Bad apples or rather rotten fish among the good ones, are always found anywhere. I can't hesitate to say this man belongs in that category.

May 22, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |