E.W. Jackson: Nothing 'to rephrase or apologize for'
May 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

E.W. Jackson: Nothing 'to rephrase or apologize for'

(CNN) - E.W. Jackson, Virginia's new Republican nominee for lieutenant governor, said he has nothing to apologize for regarding his startling past comments about abortion, race and homosexuality.

"I say the things that I say because I'm a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me," Jackson told reporters Tuesday at a Fredericksburg campaign stop, according to the Washington Post.

"Attacking me because I hold to those principles is attacking every church-going person, every family that's living a traditional family life, everybody who believes that we all deserve the right to live," he continued. "So I don't have anything to rephrase or apologize for. I would just say people should not paint me as one-dimensional."

An African-American pastor and attorney from Chesapeake, Jackson has compared Planned Parenthood to the Ku Klux Klan and hammered African-Americans for their "slavish devotion" to the Democratic Party.

He has also referred to gays and lesbians as "sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally."

After Republican activists nominated Jackson at their party's convention in Richmond last weekend, Democrats began bringing Jackson's past statements into the limelight, seeking to discredit the conservative ticket, which includes gubernatorial nominee Ken Cuccinelli, at the top.

Cuccinelli, the state Attorney General, will likely face Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman, in the November election. Democrats will formally decide their nominee in a June 11 primary.

Poll numbers so far show neither party with a sizable lead in the race, less than six months before Election Day. Because Virginia voters elect the governor and lieutenant governor separately, it's possible that the winners could be from different parties.

– CNN's Ashley Killough, Paul Steinhauser and Peter Hamby contributed to this report.

Filed under: Virginia
  1. GOP = Greed Over People

One must admit, the GOP wears it's bigotry hidden under the cloak of "chri$tianity" but wears it proudly!

May 22, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. Data Driven

Wonder why Virginia is turning Blue? Exhibit A. Instead of promoting fiscally conservative candidates that might appeal to independents, the "Republican activists" in that state nominate a person of borderline sanity. He will drag down Cuccinelli's candidacy, bank on it.

May 22, 2013 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  3. GonzoinHouston

No, the governor's race is tight. The demmies just locked up the Lt Gov. slot. Virginia isn't nearly as stupid as South Carolina.

May 22, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Sorry, sir, but if the first thing out of your mouth is a defense of your virulent attacks, then you are a hateful person. To declare that gays and lesbians are "sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally,"does not paint you as a person fit to serve them as Lieutenant Governor, and to claim to speak for people of faith is an arrogant assumption as to the individual nature of faith. Once again,a person who checks all the boxes for those on the Far Right but forgets they will be serving everyone is screwing it up for the GOP.

May 22, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. Al-NY,NY

------

and aside from the thumpers that you cater to, you and your "boss" Cucinelli(sp?) will lose the election. easy as that

May 22, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. stop and think about it

The guy supports allowing babies to live instead of being murdered in abortion murder mills and or this he is attacked? What has this country come to?

May 22, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. just sayin

oh oh... a black guy that isn't a democrat running for public office??? liberals, progressives, democrats, communists attack, attack, attack!!! this abhorent behavior must not be tolerated!! liberals, progressives, democrats, communists attack, attack, attack!!!

May 22, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

"attacking every church-going person, every family that's living a traditional family life"

Perhaps, the good pastor would explain to the class, in a country with a divorce rate over 50%, just exactly what his definition of "traditional family life" in America is today?

May 22, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

"Attacking me because I hold to those principles is attacking every church-going person."
    -------------------------------------------
    Well E.W., I'm a Christian as well who goes to church, but I don't hold my religious views against swaths of the population. This is not theocracy sir. However, you should be happy to live in this country where your entitled to free speech.

May 22, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  10. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Apparently this guy thinks that he can say anything with no way to back it up. I guess that goes with most talking heads and commentators. For the statements he made, there needs to be something more than just what he thinks.

May 22, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Tony

Calling your own people slavish is like calling them slaves. How will you feel if people say you are like Uncle Tom?

May 22, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

Spare me the persecution talking points. I am a Christian. I certainly have never felt "attacked" for my beliefs. Then again, I don't pimp the Lord for money, for votes, for causes, or whatever else some folks think "lying for the lord" will get them in this world.

May 22, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. lottie

once again the republicans think by putting a black face on it they can continue with the same old tired policies. Black voters should be insulted to think that's all that is needed to get their vote.

May 22, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. scarf

Hate the sin; love the sinner. Except Jackson hates the sinner.

May 22, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. thomase

I am disappoint Virginia!

May 22, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. Evergreen

Why are some factions of the christian faith so judgemental of others? Condemning others will eventually condemn yourself.

May 22, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

---------------------------------------------–
    Some gay people are born that way. I know this because a child(boy) that comes to my clinic is more feminine than he is masculine and his parents are straight. This child likes to wear lipstick and paint his toenails. Maybe you and Marcus Bachmann can pray away the gay.

May 22, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Christian?! Haters going to hate.

May 22, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

"And we would like the current, 2013 definition, not the 1957 definition where mom fixed breakfast dressed in heels and pearls(psst, I was 6 then and ONLY in TV shows did Mom fix breakfast fully dressed, in my house, you got cereal and you got it yourself, even in 1957)."

LOL. In my house we were lucky to have cereal in the morning. And yeah, we got it ourself. Mom (bless her) worked second shift to help put the cereal in the cupboard and was fast asleep by the time we left for school. High heels and pearls? Not her. Polyester and pin curls.

May 22, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. straight talk

Doesn't this guy know his place is on the Democrat plantation? How dare he use his brain to think outside of the Democrat collective hive/plantation! He must learn his proper place is in the back of the Democrat bus. Open fire liberals, open fire.

May 22, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  21. "High" Information Voter

OMG is this guy going to debate anyone??? I definitely want to see that if it is happening

May 22, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. Liberty&JustForAll

That's right. People don't have to believe in depravity and they should stand up for morality and values. You libs could call everyone names that don't agree with you, but it isn't going to change anything.

May 22, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. lolo

The GOP Christians are the biggest hypocrits I have seen. Please stop persucuting everyone that doesn't live, love, look or think like you. I respect your beliefs, but quit trying to push it on everyone. If you don't want an abortion don't have it. If you are not gay, let others who are live and love in peace. If you truly follow the word of God please stop condemning people because they are not white. If God wanted the world one color he would have made it so.

May 22, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  24. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Hey GOP, hows that image makeover working for you?

May 22, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  25. TONY

@Stop and think about it.
    You did not stop and think about anything this guy say have you? no surprise here anyway you right wingers wouldn't know what that is.

May 22, 2013 11:21 am at 11:21 am |