'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says
May 23rd, 2013
11 months ago

'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says

(CNN) – On the day of Anthony Weiner's first official campaign stop, the governor of New York offered a scathing evaluation of the disgraced former congressman's bid for mayor.

"Shame on us" if New Yorkers elect Weiner to City Hall, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told the editorial board of the Syracuse Post-Standard.

Previously, Cuomo had been tight-lipped about Weiner's run for mayor, which was made official on Wednesday. Asked in April for his thoughts on the race, the Democrat only offered a "no comment."

Cuomo's remarks were published the day Weiner made his first official stop on the campaign trail, chatting up voters in Harlem at a subway station. Speaking to reporters afterwards, Weiner said many New Yorkers have told him they're ready to offer redemption on Election Day.

But, he added, there are also detractors who may not be ready to forgive the mayoral candidate for the lewd messaging scandal that brought his political career to a halt two years ago.

"There may be people who say they're not, and that they'll never vote for me. And I get that, I respect that. They have the right to have that view," he said. "But even those people, I want them to hear me and what I have to say."

After months of speculation, Weiner officially launched his bid for mayor Wednesday in an online video, which also featured a rare appearance by his wife Huma Abedin. He's campaigning as a crusader for the middle class, with a platform that includes education reforms and lowering taxes for struggling New Yorkers.

It's those ideas Weiner says will get him elected in November.

"I think most New Yorkers, particularly those in the middle class in neighborhoods like this, want to talk about the solutions to the challenges that New York faces, that's what they care about," Weiner said, noting the voters he met Thursday were focused on city issues rather than his past.

"People are going to make their determination based on the issues they think is important," he said. "If citizens want to talk to me about my personal failings, that's their right. I'm going to do everything I can to answer them."

Filed under: Andrew Cuomo • Anthony Weiner
  1. just sayin

'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says
    -–

wow... a democrat with some common sense and morales?!! what is this world coming to?!!

May 23, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

The late night comedy circuit had a ball with this story last night. Anyway, Weiner can separate himself from his competition by opposing a view that his opponents support. Bill de Blasio and Christine Quinn both support spying on Muslims in NYC. I think that's a very touchy topic. If I were Weiner, I'd be against their position and challenge them on it.

May 23, 2013 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  3. Sandy

What Wiener did was wrong, but it was not against the people or the state. It was tweeting his junk to some women, which his wife forgave him for. He did nothing criminal. If his wife forgive him, then I have no problem with him running. Not saying I would vote for him, but he has a right to run.

May 23, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

Anthony Weiner's problem is that he's done nothing to repair his public image since he resigned from Congress. It's as if he expects people to have forgotten about it. It's almost as if he's acting like, "Okay. I've done my time. Now I can resume where I left off."

Not putting in the time to first rehab his image is going to work against him. It will only make the effort to actually do it all the more harder, because it will look like he's forced himself into it, instead of doing so willingly.

May 23, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. Lynda/Minnesota

"Weiner said he was "encouraged by the number of people who say they want to give me a second chance and listen to my ideas."

Hey. I'm from Minnesota so I am unable to vote for or against this man. With that said, where is the journalistic talk of a redemption tour filled with forgiving constituents who want nothing more than to issue forgiveness to one (and all) of our fallen angels ... that we were being feed in article after article during Mark Sanford's recent election?

Me thinks we are witnessing a double standard of hypocrisy especially considering CNN itself coined Mr. Obama hypocritical in one of his cabinent member nominations due to a political ad his campaign released against Mr. Mittens singing America the Beautiful while pretending to be one of the little people.

May 23, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. PJ

"....wjhat is this world coming to?"
    ----
    That's what I thought when the 'family values' party elected Mark Sanford.

May 23, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. Al-NY,NY

just sayin

'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says
    -–

--------------

ask the residents of SC who sent Mr Appalachian trail back with no hesitation

May 23, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  8. Wake up People!

That's "morals", not morales.

I say go for it Weiner and it's time to dems grew a pair and become just as partisan as the GOP. What's shameful is how the GOP managed to get an adulterer elected to Congress after leaving his job as Governor for a booty call in another country. That's shameful. But those are the GOP ways, do as I say, not as I do. Party of family values NOT!

What Weiner did was stupid but it was nothing compared to Sanford.

May 23, 2013 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Fair is Fair

Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement.

May 23, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

--------------------------------------–
    CNN has become Fox News(Lite).

May 23, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Rudy what did Sanford do to repair his public image? The man is going around town with Evita like he's won the Lotto.
    Wiener is still together with his wife. Maybe they've gone to counselling to save their marriage, I don't recall that if he did something unethical like Sanford's use of state funds and going AWOL while being state governor, that would put him in a position where he would have to repair his public image.
    He apologized. He resigned. He worked on his marriage. He's back.
    Us New Yorkers can certainly be as nuanced as South Carolinians...

May 23, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People!

That's "morals", not morales.

-------------------------------------------------
    Out! Out! Out of my head I say!!!!!
    I'm so with you Wake up!!!
    Morales....Lord gosh!

May 23, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. SuperD

The difference between Weiner and Sanford is Sanford is conservative. He got voted in because of those values. You know, small govt, low taxes, no welfare state. Weiner is nothing but blood sucking progressive Liberal and he'll just continue the rot that is the Democrat party these days.

May 23, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Doc1

just sayin

'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says
    -–

Actually @justsayin', it would have been a surprise if these words came from a Republican. I don't know, say.....Nikki Haley when you know who was running for the first district in South Carolina.

May 23, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. Safejourney

That's right, democrats do not want Weiner to run. Unlike republicans in SC that just voted for Mark Sanford to go to congress .

May 23, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  16. Thomas

I support Gov. Andrew Cuomo ,

He's not right for the job !

May 23, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. thomase

__________________________

Ahaha, conservatives talk a big game but show me, outside of chatter and rhetoric, where republicans have done ANYTHING to reduce the size of government.

May 23, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. patNY

What Weiner fails to get, is that most people just don't trust him as far as they can throw him, because he initially lied about being responsible for sexting images of himself, blaming an undisclosed hacker to his twitter account, and actually called for a criminal investigation, until he finally came clean and admitted it was all him. That he sexted, is immaterial to me. That he lied and tried to cover it up, that's the bigger deal.

May 23, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  19. Republicans rule Obama

'Shame on us' if Weiner elected, NY Gov. says
    ______________________________________
    Funny I heard the same thing when you were running for office, look what you have done for New York, which is nothing.

May 23, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

He got voted in because of those values
    -------------------------------------------------
    Aaah, no.
    He got voted in because people knew his name on the ballot and couldn't care less that he had no values to speak of.
    People in South Kakalakee got as big a chuckle as we did with the bs that he pulled while in office. The difference is that we don't live in South Kakalakee and are not affected by his dereliction of duty, poor jdugment, using state funds to boink out of the country, lying while doing it, and putting his piece on the side before his wife and kids.
    Stupidity and a lack of foresight got Sanford re-elected.

May 23, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

Indeed it has, Dutch.

May 23, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  22. ghostriter

Dominican mama 4 Obama

"The man is going around town with Evita like he's won the Lotto."

Now that is funny.....

May 23, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  23. Tinisha

Same on us not not really. Yeah Anthony Weiner took a picture of himself and texted it to a women that was not his wife. Did he use tax payer money to go and see his mistress, dont think so. Weiner is not Mark Sanford. He actions did not directly affect his job at the time. If he is the right person for the job he should be elected.

May 23, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Good luck Mr. Wiener.
    I hope you get elected. People were saying during your fall from grace that you'd done a good job for the people of your district. Let's hope that counts for something,
    I'm gratified that you were able to salvage your marriage. If your wife is standing by you why shouldn't New Yorkers.
    All the best.

May 23, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota:
    -------------------------------------------------
    "...pretending to be one of the little people" Bwahahahahahahaha.
    You do have a way with words my friend.
    Closely following and enjoying ALL of your posts whether I comment on them or not.

May 23, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |