Walker trip fuels 2016 speculation
May 23rd, 2013

Walker trip fuels 2016 speculation

(CNN) - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker heads to Iowa Thursday, stoking speculation that he's considering a run for the White House in 2016. But the Republican governor is downplaying the visit to the state that votes first in the presidential caucus and primary process.

Walker will headline the Polk County, Iowa Republican Party fundraising event, at the invitation of Iowa's GOP governor, Terry Branstad. Polk County, home to the capital city of Des Moines, is the most populous county in the Hawkeye State.

Walker became a national name and a hero to conservatives two years ago when he pushed through Wisconsin's state legislature a bill that limited the collective bargaining rights of public sector workers. The move sparked massive protests which resulted in a recall election, which Walker won.

In interviews earlier this year, Walker said he was open to the possibility of running for president, but said he loves being Wisconsin governor and is not running for any other office other than re-election as governor in 2014.

"Yeah, I'm going to Iowa, but I get invited to other states that have nothing to do with presidential politics," Walker recently told reporters, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. "Terry Branstad is a good friend and asked me to come on over. I said, 'We'll do that.' I do other surrounding states. It's an easy trip, to still put a good day's work in and get over to Iowa."

But regards of his playing down of the visit to Iowa, there's plenty of speculation by political pundits that Walker is considering a bid for the White House. He's writing a book about his life and political career, he fired up the audience in March outside Washington at the Conservative Political Action Conference, the largest and oldest gathering of conservative leaders and activists from across the country, and he addressed the annual gathering of the National Rifle Association, held in Houston, Texas this year.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: 2016 • Iowa • Scott Walker
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

This guy will not be President. He almost got recalled as governor of Wisconsin. The Raegan wannabe will have a hard time trying to get reelected in Wisconsin.

May 23, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  2. Ken

In Wisconsin there's a billboard someone put up just west of West Bend entitled "Wisconsin – A Taxpayer's Hell". Not sure if it's still there, but I am wondering if that person is considering whiting out the word "Wisconsin" and replacing it with "USA". Depends on his view of Walker. I commend Walker for some of the things he is trying to do, but there does seem to be some backroom politics involved with it. As with any politician there are going to be a lot of loud people who aren't happy they're not getting their way. Walker runs for President in 2016, that volume control will go up. But that's true about anyone running.

May 23, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

You do that Scott Walker. That whole "doing" surrounding states thingy. And get back to us ... oh ... say in 2017, and let us know how "good" it was for you.

May 23, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. California Gary

You can't be serious Walker.......your own state came close to tossing you out on your rear.......and you are going to use that as a springboard to national office? Get real........

May 23, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  5. Gary

We're gonna have to get a bigger Clown Car

May 23, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. Lisa P.

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

May 23, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only way he would ever be President is if he could manage the same 73-to-1 spending ratio that he enjoyed in the recall election. And even then he only kept his job because a third of the voters didn't believe in recalling elected officials who hadn't been convicted of a crime. Gov. Walker's popularity has not grown one percentage point since then, and neither has Wisconsin's economy. At least Reagan had an economic recovery in his favor.

Compared to Walker, Reagan was an honest man but not half the actor. And for some reason rich people from other states keep on buying Walker's b.s. Probably a sign they have more money than sense. I would have expected better of Iowans.

May 23, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. EDDIE

TYhis is the funniest thing I've read all day.Teabillies are so blind and self absorbed among a few other things.

May 23, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. California Gary

@Gary.........besides having a really cool name........you nailed it dude! I'm not sure they make clown cars big enough for what is needed........we may need to go to a clown bus!

May 23, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. Georgia

I don't know–he looks a bit like John Dillinger.

May 23, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. Colorado

After all the reports of teachers acting the heroes role lately, no way this guy even gets the nomination for what he did to them in his home state.

May 23, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wait. Is this the same Scott Walker that missed being recalled by the good people of the state of Wisconsin by two and a half votes??!
    THAT Scott Walker is being talked up as a potential presidential runner in 2016?
    The GOP has busted through the bottom of the barrel and is halfway to China...
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

May 23, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. Bessy

Remember, people in this country have short memories and they kept the fool in office when they had the recall election. I'd like to see him get bounced, but, no guarantee.

May 23, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. Data Driven

Hey "Base": I know you guys love Walker, but Democrats hate him. You need Democratic votes to win a presidential election.

Go ahead and nominate Walker.

May 23, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  14. Al-NY,NY

barely surviving a recall vote in your own state and you think you have a chance for POTUS??? Fantasy in the GOP continues unabated

May 23, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

California Gary
    -------------------------------------------------
    Maybe he'll incorporate that fact into one of his presidential ads, you know, to make it seem like he's one of the little people!
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

May 23, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Scott Walker ad pandering to Latinos on Telemundo:
    "Look, they won't let you in and they tried to kick me out. Vote for me. I'm just like you".

May 23, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. Pam from Iowa

I have as much respect for Walker as I have for Branstad – NONE !!!!

May 23, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. Patrick in Minnesota

40th in job creation Mr. Walker. Mitt Romney would be proud. As someone who studies in your state (at the same school as both your sons), hit the road and doncha come back no more! Wisconsin deserves much better than you!

May 23, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  19. WiredWeirdinSF

Oh man, the corrupt union thugs, dope addicts and welfare frauds are really trashing this guy, he must really scare them. The recall vote was a failed union attempt using money stolen from their membership to keep the taxpayers of Wisconsin in debt and ensure their services deteriorated while the thugs made luxuriant pensions for not working. The close vote showed the unions were not able to pay off and threaten everyone in Wisconsin.

May 23, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Lynda/Minnesota

@Domininca mama

As do I follow you (and so enjoy) your comments, my friend.

@Al-N.Y. It is that GOPerville Fantasy of theirs that keeps me in laughter day in and day out. I'd just as soon it continues unabated. I really don't want them in power anymore. Not this group of clowns anyway. This new GOP is no longer the party I supported year after year. Their loss, I guess - were they to care, which obviously they don't.

May 23, 2013 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"Walker trip fuels 2016 speculation"

Walker trip fuels his delusions of grandeur.

FIFY

May 23, 2013 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. California Gary

I'd forgotten that he included teachers on his list of "enemies of the people"........anyone that thinks our teachers are not worth their money need only review their actions in the school shooting in Connecticut and the tornado in Oklahoma....they literally put their lives on the line to protect the kids in their charge.......and Walker has done great harm to them in his state (as have a number of GOP governors)........not the kind of guy I want to see on the national stage.

May 23, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. MTATL67

One of the most disliked/dispised governors in the country. He is a criminal that hasn't been caught....yet

May 23, 2013 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. U.S. Citizen

Someone with a backbone to run for the Presidency?
    Tell me it isn't so.

May 23, 2013 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. chill

When he gets his butt kicked in 2014, there will be much less speculation. He only won the recall because enough people weren't comfortable with oveturning the 2010 election.

May 23, 2013 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |