Did Biden make an O.J. Simpson reference at funeral?
June 5th, 2013
11 months ago

Did Biden make an O.J. Simpson reference at funeral?

(CNN) – It was hardly intentional, but Vice President Joe Biden had some observers remembering old rental car ads featuring O.J. Simpson during his speech at Sen. Frank Lautenberg’s funeral on Wednesday.

Describing a time when he was a senator from Delaware, Biden recalled a day he was hustling to catch an Amtrak train, only to be told it was being held for the late New Jersey Democrat.

"One day I'm breaking my neck to get to the train,” Biden said. “I'm like those old commercials, running through the airport, carrying my bags. I get there and the conductor said, 'Joe, hold up. Don't worry. We're holding it for Lautenberg.’"

"They never held the train for me," he joked.

Biden’s description matched an old Hertz commercial from the ‘70s with the now jailed Simpson – known then for his football heroics and acting roles – in a break-away run through an airport, hurdling obstacles to get to his rental car.

Simpson was acquitted in his ex-wife’s murder in the 1990s, and is currently jailed for a 2007 armed robbery assault.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. boungiorno

Who Cares This Is Stupid

June 5, 2013 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

I'm confused. Because OJ used to do the old Hertz commercials and the conductor held the train for the Senator, and VP Biden said he never did it for him....... How is that an OJ reference??

What in the world has happened to journalism??

June 5, 2013 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  3. bubblyboo

Not even a connection dude.

June 5, 2013 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  4. NameMw. Jay

A bit of a stretch to make a headline!

June 5, 2013 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  5. Anthony in California

Slow news day, eh?
    Not only that, OJ was huge at that time, and EVERYONE made airport-rushing-late in the airport "O.J." jokes.

Moving on...

June 5, 2013 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  6. Richard Long

Can't wait for him to be crowned President of the United States! Biden 2026!
    Biden!!!
    Biden!!!
    Biden!!!
    Biden!!!
    Biden!!!

June 5, 2013 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein

Really? I don't recall that commercial. When was that aired? It is so long ago that few people would even know that.

June 5, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  8. swej

Conjuring up this garbage is despicable even for the Cartoon News Network.

June 6, 2013 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  9. Marie MD

This is news because?
    CNN start helping the tea troll news in the state level come out so we can stop them from the bottom up.

June 6, 2013 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  10. TomInRochNY

Ah, Joe, I see you're preparing for 2016.

June 6, 2013 06:59 am at 6:59 am |