Breaking: Christie appoints N.J. attorney general to Senate
June 6th, 2013
1 year ago

Breaking: Christie appoints N.J. attorney general to Senate

(CNN) – Jeffrey Chiesa, New Jersey's attorney general, will serve as a U.S. senator until the seat is filled in a special election later this year, Gov. Chris Christie announced Thursday.

Chiesa will serve until a new senator is chosen in an October 16 special election. A primary vote will take place August 13. Christie said Thursday Chiesa will not make a bid for the permanent seat.

"To have this chance to continue to serve in public life is a wonderful opportunity for everybody," said Chiesa, who's served as attorney general since January 2012. Previously he acted as Christie's chief counsel and executive director of the New Jersey's governor's transition team. He is a registered Republican.

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey • Senate
  1. monbois

@Sniffit I don't know who you're quoting, but I want to add that it was the Republican fiscal corruption and greed that caused the recession we're still struggling to get out of. And Democrats win plenty of state elections. Bush & Co. declared war on Iraq just so they could post an OPEN FOR BUSINESS TO THE HIGHEST BIDDING WAR PROFITEER. Our country's infrastructure is falling apart, a federal surplus was buried in a giant federal debt, and the executives at Haliburton & Blackwater are now billionaires. And all it took was trillions of our taxpayer dollars and a few hundred thousand lives.

June 6, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Kevin

This was a tough decision for Christie and I feel he handled it as fairly as possible.

June 6, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Malory Archer

Kevin

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

However, NJ and the district represented by this senate seat are both heavily dem. Christie just sealed his fate with those people, and despite all he's done for the state, when the voters go to the polls in November it probably won't bode well for him.

June 6, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. RettasVegas

He just cost NJ over 10 million for the special election, that benifits no one but him !

He can't have it both ways, I thought he was smarter than the average republican, I was wrong.
    SURPRISE! He's only thinking of himself, I 'v heard enough, he needs to go to the back of the line behind all the other wanna be presidents in the republican party.
    No I'm not a "hater", he really impressed me, until he made this move.

Independent voter

June 6, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. sne

He is doing a good job. He can't please democrats, he can't please republicans. He works for people and its important.

June 6, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. just sayin

Malory Archer

you are as clueless as ever. elections for senators are state wide. there are no districts involved. that is for house members.

June 6, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Scott

I had some respect for Christie but spending 24 million for an election scheduled jut to make sure he does not have a higher democrat turn out for his own election when his state is bankrupt, he is closing public parks and cutting government workers pay and now appointing a Republican to a Democrats seat just to pander to his own party has destroyed it. He's just another dishonorable politician out for himself.

June 6, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  8. Wake up People!

I hope this opens peoples eyes when it comes to Christy. He is still the same dude he was this time last year, kissing Mitts butt and bashing the POTUS.

I knew it wouldn't take long for his true colors to shine through...

June 6, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Slinky

Oh, no! As a Democrat, I'm upset about this! Er, I mean, as a Republican, I'm upset about this!

All I know is, whichever party I belong to, I'm supposed to be upset over whatever Christie does.

June 6, 2013 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Len

Two democratic senators elected by the people.......appoints a republican.....I hope he votes as the senator he replaces!!!!!

June 6, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Bob

If he was the NJ Atty General who takes his place? Senate Majority leader? Minnesota's AG doesn't do boo most the time.

June 6, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Dave

He's still way too fat to be president!

June 6, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. Dave

Bloated Christie for a bloated government. He's still too humongous to be prez.

June 6, 2013 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Malory Archer

just sayin

Malory Archer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While I thank you for educating me on NJ's electorial process (surprised the rethugs in Florida haven't attempted to pass). I attempted to find information about that online and came up empty – perhaps you could be a lamb and provide a credible link to that legislation. Additionally, responding to every post from those with whom you disagree on issues shows that you are a pathetic little coward who is incapable of discussing issues. What are you so afraid of little man?

June 6, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Dave A

He is still too H U G E to be president.

June 6, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Sniffit

One would think that after his lovely little speech about letting the voters have their say he'd have made his Senatorial appointment in a manner that coincides with what NJ voters said last time they elected that Senator. I guess his words were just words...just self-serving claptrap to rationalize his gamesmanship on the special election's scheduling.

June 6, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Dave A

He's the worst example of government pork ever. CNN keeps censoring me because I just want to speak the truth and say how F @ T he is.

June 6, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Malory Archer

just sayin

Malory Archer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While I thank you for educating me on NJ's electorial process (surprised the rethugs in Florida haven't attempted to pass). I attempted to find information about that online and came up empty – perhaps you could be a lamb and provide a credible link to that legislation. Even if it's true it doesn't change the fact that NJ voters lean heavily toward the Dems.

Additionally, responding with ad hominem attacks to every post from those with whom you disagree on issues shows that you are a pathetic little coward who is incapable of discussing issues. What are you so afraid of little man?

June 6, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He is worried that he wouldn't win the general elections by double digits if the Senate race was on the ballot at the same time. I don't know the AG at all because he hasn't made a name for himself.

June 6, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. The Real Tom Paine

-Malory Archer

just sayin

Malory Archer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

***************
    Malory, he is not interested in discussing anything: he wants validation, and ranting online is the only way he gets it.

June 6, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Marie MD

Tis is a ploy. These new guy's name will e front and center and then a lot of people will vote because of name recognition not realizing he is tea troll.

June 6, 2013 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |