Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
11 months ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. GOP ,witch hunters or witch doctors

you have got to be kidding me, this worthless seahag would be better suited south of the boarder participating in a donkey show.

June 7, 2013 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  2. Anonymous

HAHAHAHAHA Please do!

June 7, 2013 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  3. Anonymous

God I love the circus

June 7, 2013 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  4. Patricia

It is OFF the table. She needs to understand that NO ONE wants her for the highest office in the land.

June 7, 2013 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  5. Bubba

Please, please, please run for President in 2016. Your run will ensure a Democrat President through 2024, and possibly beyond.

June 7, 2013 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  6. Michael

She should perch with Failin' Palin up in Alaska where they could BOTH watch over Russia from the front porch. Bachman's a total fraud and should stay completely away from the public spotlight. If the people of Minnesota ever elect her to another public office, well, shame on them. If she decides to enter the POTUS race for 2016, the quicker she is sown the door, the better for all of us ... except that she provides comic relief ...

June 7, 2013 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

"Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

Yeah. Whatever.

June 7, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  8. rearden215

This is too funny for comment.

June 7, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  9. Larry

She is another Sarah Palin only a little smarter, but just doesn't have it! Hey, Michele and Sarah on one ticket then the Democrats will win the next election too.

June 7, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  10. FrankinSD

OMG! Please, let it be so!!

June 7, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  11. maximusvad

Let the GOP Circus primary continue.

June 7, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  12. kellys

Please, Please go away....our country is diminished by people like you in a visible public office. thank you MN for finally making it clear she will not get re-elected....I will work on forgiving you for having elected her in the first place–I may have to just chalk it up to effective jerrymandering

June 7, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  13. Jordan

She needs to just go away!!! EWWWW

June 7, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  14. paul

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement... I am just copying Palin and pretending to run for president so I can clean up on the pundit circuit.
    She has as much chance of winning the presidency as my cat has in reciting Proust

June 7, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  15. virginia girl

Of course she wasn't asked about her being investagated, she was on faux news. She and Sarah can have their own non reality show. only thing they're good for!

June 7, 2013 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  16. GrendelBane

Michelle Bachmann 2016 – the Democrats secret weapon!

June 7, 2013 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  17. Ron in SC

Really? Do we need the reappearance of the "idiot"?

June 7, 2013 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  18. jamessavik

yes... it is. Bachmann's bigotry and ignorance are emblematic of all the worst things about the republican party.

She's not going anywhere in 2016 other than the laughing academy

June 7, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  19. charles bowen

Not a snowballs chance in a very very hot place.....Charles Bowen Solomon Stone

June 7, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  20. Notagopfan

Please run Michelle. America needs a good laugh.

June 7, 2013 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  21. MisterPL

She'd be nothing more than a distraction is a presidential campaign. Stay home.

June 7, 2013 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  22. AreYouKidding?

Don't worry, I hear the Ladies' Penal System has lots of activities for her inmates. There's gin, 2-year-old magazines, 10-year-old computers, they play hearts...

June 7, 2013 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  23. Grumpymedic

Go ahead. Run for President, Michelle. You'll only confirm to the voters that the GOP is-once again-the party of the stupid. If Hillary runs, you won't even get THAT far.

June 7, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  24. Jack

Not done living off the public dime. Loser!

June 7, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  25. John

HA! My cat has a better chance of getting elected.

June 7, 2013 08:36 am at 8:36 am |