Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. USAF Vet

Palin/Bachmann 2016! I would love to see the dabates! It would be funnier that anything on TV right now! Once Bachmann goes away, I will be proud to say I am fom Minnesota again!

June 7, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. fsmgroupie

Bachmann/Palin 2016 yeehawwww!!

June 7, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. MaryM

I want to know who in the hell is donating to Bachman. From what I have read, she has millions to spend.
    I thought the Republican party was under re-construction. Why do they allow these crazies to represent them?
    It is really sad, The republican party use to be respected but now it is just a joke to the majority of the Americans people. I blame the tea party people and the extreme religious right for the demise of the GOP.

June 7, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. MeanOldMan

Imagine that. A republican not being asked about their being investigated in a FOX news interview. I guess FOX used up all its energy trying to make up a scandal about the president and just has nothing left for her.

June 7, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  5. MakeThemEatCake

Truck, I agree with you. there are plenty of loons on the left (men and women alike) the thing is, right now none of them have publicly hinted at a presidential run in 2016. she did not do well in the last GOP primaries so for her, and the few actual supporters she has, to think 2016 will be any different is surprising. Even though 2016 is 3 years away, the election finance investigation that she is going through right now is not going to go away. Neither will the foot in mouth comments she will make between now and then.

June 7, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  6. david mann

Yo Truck.... You must have been one of the 2% who voted for her in the Repugnant Primary. Look around you Bubba. You don't have much company with your opinion.

June 7, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. Minnie Mouse

If politics and what's happening in our country year round is not your priority, then don't put yourself through it all again if you are uncertain.

June 7, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. Borderless

Bachmann, please go away. Get out of politics. You aren't fit to serve.

June 7, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. Bob

It's funny how all the threads I just read about her attack her via opinion instead of fact. "fear and war mongering hate speak." "voters think you are a crackpot." "that keeps on giving." "keep saying your same old ignorant stuff," "Blackman is more annoying than anything else." You would think that if she had said anything so offensive to you, you'd be able to pinpoint what was said or done. She definitely doesn't have as big a target on her as your President and his regime like Hillery, Holder, and Rice. those who have words and actions that can be noted and quoted. Nor is she staying in office till she dies of old age. If you read this and say to yourself "I'll teach him! I'll find a quote and reply!" do it. It will show me that you actually look at the facts and are in the know and not just riding the wave hatred and ignorance.

June 7, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  10. anahadwolves

Bachman-Palin in 2016. Yet ANOTHER BP that pollutes.

June 7, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  11. Dfer_Doug

If a Liberal and a Conservative do the same wrong thing, the Conservative is
    condemned because Conservatives aren't allowed to do wrong things – and
    Conservatives always have evil intentions. The Liberal is coddled and
    protected because Liberals always have good intentions – and that's all that
    matters.

June 7, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  12. B. McKay

Seems appropriate that a "Dingbat" would have a perch.

June 7, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Donkey Party

Bachmann is living proof that not all extraterrestrials are intelligent beings.

June 7, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. northerstar

Yea; more entertainment for 2016. Seriously, who donates to Bachman.

June 7, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. Chuk

PLEASE run for "president" in 2016. Please! We need you to help screw up the GOP even more. Thanks in advance.

June 7, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. milenko

Left or Right this woman is insane, but not just insane looks like she is not medicated either. Please tell me she is joking, last thing this country needs is someone bipolar.

June 7, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Jo

I see we've got the entertainment lined up...

June 7, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. wakiash

A presidential run may not be off the table, but I know of two republican woman who are certainly off in many ways!!!

June 7, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. ritmocojo

I still get goosebumps and shudder at the mere thought that this psycho was being considered as a GOtP candidate for POTUS.

June 7, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  20. Dom

Deluded by a false belief that God has ordained her to become the president. These type of people are dangerous not because they are crazy; they are delusional. Since God has ordained them, anything they do is divinely right...even to the point of supporting outright lies; look at her record on Politifact...Her belief in her anointed status makes her completely dangerous as a person who would have her finger poised above the launch button.

June 7, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  21. Mark W. Ellis

I will miss the comic relief generated by her incompetence.

June 7, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  22. whohoowho

Geez, not even Michele Bachmann is crazy enough to vote for her!

June 7, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. don draper's brother

You know, Michelle can see Canada from her backyard.

June 7, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  24. KC

The GOP is already a floundering party full of retreads, they need to pull Bachman aside and tell her to run as an Indy but that she'll receive no support from the GOP, period. This woman is a phony and is even less intelligent than Palin. So what does that tell you.

June 7, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Scott

Someone needs to increase the dosage on this woman's medication....

June 7, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |