Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. ToldUSo

"I'm not going silent." America weeps, but comedians rejoice!

June 7, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Chris

I laugh at those screaming about how Obama is ruining the country. How exactly? Employment going down, DOW at an all-time high, U.S. debt dropping like a rock, Bin Laden is dead. What's the brilliant reason for hating him? Taxes on most everyone are totally unchanged. What do the haters have? International embassies that the Repubs declined to protect? IRS questioning groups claiming to be social groups who are actually political groups who are supposed to be taxed but they are hiding it? What?

June 7, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  3. Ron in SC

Really, the GOP is really pandering to the uneducated extremists out there. Do they really think this is the way to go? No wonder they are trying to raise college loan rates. Keep the public ignorant so they will believe anything we say no matter how stupid.

June 7, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. Jobu

Hahahaha.............
    Here come the gaffes!

June 7, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. Data Driven

Glad to see CNN covering all the Fox News interviews by that network's personalities. Perhaps Murdoch is planning on buying CNN. Given the way stories are covered here lately, I don't think I'm too off-base.

June 7, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Former GOP

......Oh, ....THAN YOU...THANK YOU...........PLEASE RUN, Michelle.......I cannot imagine a political season without your bunny like brain and googlie eyes prancing about the podium, spewing illogical thoughts and outright LIES.....
    .......you ARE the Tea Party Michelle........you gotta run...............

June 7, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. knob

That is all America needs right now is another out-of-touch with reality, know-nothing, self-serving president. What is wrong with the American political system that it can even be an option for someone of her limited abilities to be in a position where this could be possible? However, I say, do it, Michelle. The public and the media will have you torn apart within minutes of your announcement to run.

June 7, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. True American

we need some comedy for 2016. We need some stupid arrogant on the ballot so that it will easy to differentiate bad vs worst. not sure how she got elected to Congress ....so unethical and non cooperative ....who is just for herself. we need more people who is more the country than for themselves or focusing on a particular race religion etc

June 7, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. Thomas

Didn't Michele Bachmann and her husband volunteer to go to Mars ?

It would be difficult to govern from Space .

volunteerMichele Bachmann / Rand Paul 2016

Aqua Buddhas from Mars

June 7, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  10. epenguin

Its like the Republicans have no interest in ever winning an election again.

June 7, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  11. ritmocojo

The image of that portrait of her in the cover of 'Time' still haunts me to this day. Those eyes, it's those eyes, that loony look in them. Aaahh! I'm going into convulsions just imagining that cover all over again! Excuse me now folks...

June 7, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. Dude in Colorado

Please, please, please, please run, Ms. Bachman! (snicker.) America needs you! (chuckle.) You need run as third party candidate, the people need another choice! (GUFFAW!)

June 7, 2013 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. Mark

"We believe that Michelle Bachmann would be an extremely viable and competitive candidate for President, should she decide to run in 2016" (Democratic National Committee)

June 7, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. Dom

I am an independent who is conservative when it comes to spending, taxes and illegal immigration but liberal when it comes to social issues like abortion and gay marriage. I lean Republican in most cases but i did vote for Obama in 2008. Having said all that – I hope Michele Bachmann stays out of politics from now on... She is an idiot and people like her have held the Real Republican party hostage long enough. The time has come for the moderates in this country – in both parties – to rise up and push the extrermists on both sides who ruiining this country out !!

June 7, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. BigSir

The (Bad) Dream Team: Palin and Bachmann

June 7, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  16. Odo

And that's her story...until the FBI criminal charges come up....

June 7, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. popeye1128

Oh goody, I love a circus!

June 7, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Honestuck

I hope she does run and make all those inflamatory comments that has helped the Republican ticket with its base.

June 7, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. MesaMom

Made Jon Stewart's day. We have another season of CRAZY to look forward to.

June 7, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  20. AV

I think she should run for 2016, this will make sure that Republicans will remain out of white house for another 4 years.

June 7, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Chris

Hey the GOP could put on a real clown show if it ran Bachmann for President and Palin for VP or vice versa. The nation would be laughing so hard it couldn't get to the polls.

June 7, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. Steve

It may not be off the table, but you sure are!

Oh please!

June 7, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. Michael in Houston

In other words...."I crave the spotlight so much that I fully intend to be in front of the cameras as much as possible".
    She is like Palin....there is nothing they can offer, they have been flatly rejected, but they remain in front of the cameras for the attention and the money.
    The GOP's biggest challenge is figuring out a way to jettison the "stupid" factor that comes with the typical GOP candidate these days.

June 7, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. cleareye1

Will her jokes never end? And the DNC is simply being cruel by encouraging her.

June 7, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |