Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
10 months ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Floyd from Illinois

Every political process needs a court jester.

Bachmann is it.

June 7, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  2. Al H

What a JOKE! Maybe Sarah Palin and her can run on the same ticket that way we can be assured of another Democrtic sweep in 2016!

June 7, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. tim43

The gift that keeps on giving.

June 7, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. judith

Oh, please Michele, run for President again. You shine a spotlight on just how radical and clueless conservatives are and you are gift that keeps on giving to Democrats. As a progressive, I encourage you to be very active and continue pulling the GOP on it's disastrous rightward course to electoral loss.

June 7, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. JAGinAZ

Dear Michelle. Oh yes it is.

June 7, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. Jim

Surely there cannot be enough sheeple to cause this person to appear on a ballot, not even for dog catcher.

June 7, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. forte139

She can dream, but she is out.

June 7, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. GAK

Of course her "retiring" has nothing to do with the fact she is under 2 investigations for miss use of campaign funds and that she would probably lose in the next election...

June 7, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. mnfolkgirl

As much as I enjoy watching her make a fool out of herself, I honestly wish she'd just shut up and go away. I love how she does her first interview with a national program but won't talk to any of the media here in MN.

June 7, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Brcats

BWAHAHAHA!!! Really? Really, she just needs to fade away. She is not doing the GOP any favors by hanging around.

June 7, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  11. TexasCentrist

I'm glad Bachmann's not going silent. We need to comic relief. She's so entertaining! In fact, having her vocal and not in public office is the ideal situation. Best of both worlds.

June 7, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. anothermuse

Kind of the Sarah Palin approach, I don't want any responsibility, I just want to weigh in on stuff without any real authority to do anything about it, or any accountability for my actions. Well, not saying politicians are accountable for anything other then their popularity but still.

June 7, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. Brcats

The nice part is she will never get out of the primaries (probably very early dismissal).

June 7, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. rb1948

Please Please Please – run for President. The late night comedians can use the material.

June 7, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Margaret

Go home Bachmann and stay there. You are not needed. Just go away.

June 7, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. D.Mama

Can you imagine how happy theGOP will be if she runs for any office. Just think of all the wonderful thoght provoking remarks and great planes she would have for our country! Why the GOP willbe bursting with pride as they match her acomplishments against Obama. Oh yes! what was it she did again.Oh! be the fearless leader of the Tea Party or better known as t.p and all those brilliant remaks. Yes the GOP sure has thier share of fools to choose from. Everyone knows the first word a child learns is no. The GOP sure learned how to use it. ?Bring her on and give the country a chance to say NO!!!!

June 7, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Damian

I hope she does enter the race, i love seeing rich people blow their money on useless things so all of her campaign donors will give me hours of entertainment.

June 7, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. gb0432

in other words I need to find a TV gig on Fox

June 7, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. atlposter

Yes. yes,yes......... please run in 2016.

Another win for us Dems!

June 7, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  20. Mcmik

Yes! I promise I will vote for you IF you choose HERMAN CAIN as a running mate!

June 7, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  21. Vad

Oh please. Plain did the same thing. Hint at running, garner some free media attention sell a few books and wammo! No run at all. Bachman and Palin are nothing more than reality TV stars.

June 7, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  22. flatbushfred

This is great news for the Democrats and the country. You go, girl.

June 7, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. BD70

Wow! Her self importance far out weighs her worth.

June 7, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  24. Rich

In other words, "I think I can make more money being a political commentator. If I am wrong or it doesn't last, I'll go back to making my money via politics."

June 7, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  25. boogabooga

It might not be off the table but it is certainly off the wall. less that a snowball's chance on the surface of the sun; a waste of time and money.

June 7, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |