Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Rembrant

"Bachmann" and "accomplishments" in the same sentence?
    I cannot help but notice the great job Republicans are doing with their "rebranding" efforts. With Bachmann in the mix they will have a looooooong way to go. Clearly Republicans are bound and determined to never win an election ever.

June 7, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. RinosRwinos

I think 2016 is the number of loose screws this woman has. Why would she waste her time running again? Last time destroyed what little credibility she had left.

June 7, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. adm

Humanity has the profound determination to take a 4 by 4 piece of lumber and try to drive it into a 1/4 inch diameter steel tubing. When it doesn't work they turn it around and try the other side. When that proves unsuccessful they turn the board side ways. Good luck GOP.

June 7, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. Mike Texoma

Bachman is off her rocker

June 7, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. Reasonably

Dear Bachmann – please run. We need humor in the 2016 race. And idi ots need a place to throw their money away.

June 7, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. Ordinary Average American

Don't bother, Bachmann! I have a better chance of being voted in the office of POTUS than you do and I'm not running!

June 7, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Jeff

This just in:

Sources say that 99% of Bachmann-for-president donors are late-night comedians.
    Said one such donor, "Hey, this is a great investment for my profession"

June 7, 2013 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. alpeaston

Michele PLEASE RUN! Nothing will confuse and confound the public more then several republicans ripping each other to shreds to get the nomination. It will be fun to watch, fun to see the GOP go down in flames and fun to see Hilary WIN!

June 7, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. liz

Oh but it is Michelle.

June 7, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  10. Bob

Oh please, this woman couldn't get elected President of her high school reunion committee! She's a silly whack-job. She has done enough to hurt the Republican party and should go home and become a hermit, she's done, finished. Best news I've read this year is she wasn't running for Senate again, she's awful......

June 7, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  11. Mitch

Personally, I do not want Michelle to leave the media spotlight. She serves as an excellent example of , " The party of stupid."

June 7, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  12. Chris

Uhh Yes it is off the table, Move on

June 7, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. timelord7202

She took $250,000 in taxpayer-funded subsidy, while telling all of us how badsocialism is... amongst others in a list of issues so big that...

June 7, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. RMW

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table.

U.S. electorate: Yes, it is.

June 7, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. capnmike

Hope the big mouth nut case runs...it will only serve to emphasize the looniness of the Re PIG lican party.

June 7, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Little Guy

What makes this conservative tea bagger think she has a chance at 2016?

June 7, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. ricke1449

Bachman was right about the snooping. Sorry guys and gals

June 7, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. pale blue dot

You have to admit without her and that other wingnut Palin..............politics would be DULL........Thanks for keeping it alive.......LOL

June 7, 2013 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. BobFromPA

This should be filed under the "Comedy" section for all the obvious reasons!

June 7, 2013 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. RA

C'mon honey, you don't stand a chance. How about the Republicans run a real conservative with the balls to stand up to the lies of liberalism? No more RINOs...no more kooks...

June 7, 2013 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. QueenVelveetaJamimaLaqueetaTelmaColenderDaKeeshaaLaPorsha

YOu goes girl!

June 7, 2013 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. Sam Adams

This is wonderful news for the media. They will have more fractured history lessons to unravel, like what was "Hoot-Smalley" ? Really? OH, that was a GOP sponsored tax bill dealing with tariffs. Who knew?

June 7, 2013 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. MarkB

Michele Bachmann enumerating "a list of what she considers her accomplishments" is akin to a lounge-lizard singer proudly proclaiming, "Now I'm going to do a medley of my hit."

June 7, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  24. Rick

That's a good one, Michelle. You always were the class clown–still punking people, I see.

June 7, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. Malory Archer

D

Wait, didn't she accept Swiss citizenship? So she may run for President of the United States, while simultaneously holding dual citizenship in a socialist European country...THAT would be great to see.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't even know how she's able to hold dual citizenship and still be in Congress. My husband had dual citizenship and was forced to relinquish his Swiss citizenship in order to join the military, because according the U.S. government you servicemembers aren't permitted to swear allegiance to two nations.

June 7, 2013 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |