Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
11 months ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. bob baden

This is like when you fight an illness and then you think you're cured, but you wake up and the illness is back. Some people just don't know when they are not wanted.

June 7, 2013 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  2. Data Driven

"She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds"

Why not?

June 7, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  3. sandman

I am a registered Republican and I can say with great confidence she's a qualified idiot who'd embarrass the nation.

June 7, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. mark

She ought to run it takes away votes from everyone else in the republican party . But on the other hand if she just leaves er and her husband can try to convert all the gay people on the planet . No offense to the gays

June 7, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  5. th

She should just crawl back into the hole she came from and take her followers with her

June 7, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  6. rschier

She won't last even half as long as last time around – i.e. she'll be visible for all of 3 minutes.....

June 7, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  7. Primewonk

On behalf of rational people across the nation, let me be the first to say – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run! And if by some miracle you would win (better shot of hell freezing over), Marcus can be First Lady.

June 7, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  8. W.

There are some people who are predisposed to suffer the "Peter Principal." McDonald's restaurants have plenty of employment applications available. Take the hint.

June 7, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  9. evan

I told you she'd run again. It's the reason Chris Christie is running so scared lately.

June 7, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  10. Gurgyl

I think she should stay in the race. She is a perfect fit. Talks stupid and racial too. HILLARY16.

June 7, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  11. Larry L

Even Bachman must know she has no shot at winning anything but those pockets of red-state crazies who beleive being a pathological liar is a good thing. She's working an income stream of books and speaking engagements and needs to keep her face in the media to exepidite sales.

June 7, 2013 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  12. Jon in Pittsburgh

Please run Michelle,,,we still need the entertainment...

June 7, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  13. Kathy0715

Did anyone even expect Hannity to ask this crazy woman about the investigation going on with her last campaign? I hope she does run for president again, however, we could all use another few laughs.

June 7, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  14. jb1963

II see they mentioned her tick list of accomplishments but did not list any. That's about right she did nothing but I do want her to run in 2016. We need the comedy and whatever she says will only hurt the party send progressives to the polls in record numbers.

June 7, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  15. IvotedforObama

She will be wasting her money and time if she runs in 2016.

June 7, 2013 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  16. kandw101

Go away, please.

June 7, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  17. The Right Left

The Queen of Scream, lingers on. Every day the likes of her, Plain and so many crazies hang around, is a good day for Democrats and a day of cringing for DC Republicans. The GOP is sinking with the crew its carrying. Instead of pouring water out of the boat they are pouring it in by the bucket load.

June 7, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  18. wwf

Staying out of jail is.

June 7, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  19. jim

So much for scrubbing away the stupid.

June 7, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  20. Daniel

If Bachmann is on the Republican ticket in 2016, the Democrats could nominate Jay-Z and still win.

June 7, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  21. charles

LOL She really does need to run for President. I mean the Republicans do not have any, i repeat any, viable candidate that could seriouusly win. Just like the last 2 times they tried. They just dont have any candidate that could seriously challenge the Democates. So please, put her up. If you do, then its another 8 more yrs in the white house.....I am doing a happy dance just thinking of it.

June 7, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  22. SC Paul

Please!!! ...nothing would be better for the 2016 GOP Presidential Primaries than another cast of cartoon characters like 2012

June 7, 2013 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  23. bitphr3ak

She really is crazy! :)

June 7, 2013 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  24. ST

This woman really needs Obamacare though she wants to get rid of it. 2016 not off the table?? I would not say this woman is sick because am not a doctor, BUT she looks like she is!

June 7, 2013 08:45 am at 8:45 am |