Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
11 months ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. damn John

people like Bachman, Romney and the rest of the republicans are so thick skulled, they can't even get the picture their battleship is sunk ... and why it will always leak no matter how much you want to resurrect and drive it.

June 7, 2013 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. jinx9to88

She is looking to land a book deal.

June 7, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. superman

One can only hope this nutcase stays as far away as possible from any US public role.

That such a fool, and the fools whom support her in any way exist is an embarrassment to humanity.

Can I be more clear?!

June 7, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. naimed12

Can I be more clear?!

June 7, 2013 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. bombastus

I can hear all the democrats now: Run Michelle...please run! Michelle...the gift that keeps on giving.

June 7, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  6. Philly

If she were elected President, I'm moving to Siberia..

June 7, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  7. awaken

The only thing Bachman needs to be running for, is the hills. As a right-leaning moderate, I find her appalling to the intellect and decency of the American people. Our elected officials should be a positive representation of the people. She is definitely NOT it!

June 7, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  8. clephas

Stupidity should never be encouraged, thus please do us the favor of staying out of politics, Ms. Bachmann. I used to lean to the right until I realized just what kind of BS was being spouted by people like you. Until the GOP purges people like her, I won't be able to bring myself to vote for their candidates.

June 7, 2013 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. fayray11x

yup, the insane clown posse of the GOP is going to stick around cause they will always have they head up their ....

June 7, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. Briggles

I hope she does go into the race. The Colbert Report always seems to be funnier with her in the race.

June 7, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Pete

Let Michelle run and put her in the trunk of the clown car because they need the added weight in their rears and they still won't catch up to Hillarys campaign and will lose big as well in 2016..

June 7, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  12. mike0404

Everybody needs to laugh, and Bachmann running for President in 2016 will provide lots of humorous moments.

June 7, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Diane

She is a nutcase. Period!

June 7, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Bamador

This story kind of scared me. Not that I think she has a snowball's chance in Texas of winning another seat ANYWHERE, but tis passage...

"the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover." "

I actually agree with something Michelle Bachman said...I need a drink...

June 7, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Barb

Am hoping she fades away. Of course so many looney tunes who support her they are the problem.

June 7, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  16. Michael Hobart

She acts like she wants to follow the Palin model – take the money and run (away – not for office). It is telling that in essentially the most conservative Congressional district in Minnesota, which Romney won by 14%, she barely eaked out victory last time, winning by just over 1%.

She did essentially nothing for her district other than getting a few pork barrel projects approved.

June 7, 2013 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Lou

We cant seem to get rid of "hearing" about Sarah. Let's hope it won't be the same with Michele.

June 7, 2013 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  18. HBsushi

I do not think she understands that even her own party did not want her to be president. How can she think she could ever get the nomination ?

June 7, 2013 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  19. JDL

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

Oh yes it is !!!

June 7, 2013 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  20. DoNotWorry

I hope she does run... I laughed my head off during the last Republican Primary.

June 8, 2013 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  21. clarke

I am sorry, but I don't feel she is a very smart person. she rides on the shirt tails of others, If she was the only person running still would not vote for her.

June 8, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. Dan5404

Please, Michelle, stay in the game. You can't get elected dog catcher in your hometown, but you provide comic relief compared to the other extremists spouting hate and regression in the Tea Party/GOP.

June 8, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. JOE B

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

Didn't she realize in the last primary that people weren't going to support the female version of Hitler. If she managed to get elected she would go on an invasion spree as she has indicated all for the glory of big business and the bankers.

June 8, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  24. Cooper Smith

Good, we will need some side show comedy in 2016.

June 8, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. willie heath

It seems veryone that gets an interview, Hannity badgers them with a "are you running for President?" Give it rest Hannity we just finished an election 7 months ago!

June 8, 2013 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |