Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Pandamonius

Anyone else find it funny that she said she was looking for a different "perch"? To me it conjured an image of some screeching harpy, flapping from branch to branch.

June 7, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  2. HenryB

Oh, no, she's baaaaaaaaaaaack. The gift that keeps on giving.

June 7, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  3. Art Eliff

We can only pray to the dear Lord that she and Sarah will bless us by running for President/Vice-President in 2016 leading our Republican Party to a victory for Jesus.

June 7, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  4. PRA

It definitelty SHOULD be off the table. She's a flippin' moron!

June 7, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  5. Texas

Please...can we get an intelligent, experienced person to run?

June 7, 2013 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  6. JRNY

LOL! She's only saying this to divert people from the fact that she dropped out of her job – didn't retire, dropped out – because she knew she was going to be caught in a scandal with the FBI.

June 7, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  7. Dave

No...it's Bachmann who is, I'm afraid, still off the table. Any rational thought process here? I don't think so.

June 7, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  8. 1byrd

Oh please, Michele, run!! For Prez!! Please please please please!!!!! A candidate like you would be a humorous and damaging distraction from any serious candidate........ Please please please......

June 7, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  9. Smarter than ewe

Off the tabel? You mean off her rocker. This dolt is going nowhere.

June 7, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  10. Soren

She knew she wasn't going to be reelected in her own State and now she wants to rule the world.

Serious delusions of grandeur.

June 7, 2013 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  11. Bobby

"If something appears too good to be true, it usually is." Bummer...

June 7, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  12. Rush L.

She'd be a fool not to run.....

June 7, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  13. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Another presidential bid? Really? I'd rather vote for a clanswoman...O' wait! Never mind!

June 7, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  14. Vader

That's right Michele, jump in to the race in 2016. We can always use comic relief.

June 7, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  15. Mark

She could not even make it through the first primary, can't imagine why anyone would think she will this time.

June 7, 2013 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  16. EvinAR

Trust me, Michele. You're off the table.

June 7, 2013 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  17. GTA

"I'm not taking anything off of the table."

You won't have to because the voters will do it for you.....

June 7, 2013 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  18. upside down

I haven't ruled out me running. So it's no big deal. CNN likes to stir the pot.

June 7, 2013 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

2016 is not off the table, huh. I don't care what she says. She's off the hook.

June 7, 2013 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  20. Computer DNA Sequenced By Rebel Hackers

She should be safe and harmless, just like trying to live 4 years in a room full of CO2 is safe and harmless.

June 7, 2013 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  21. rabbitcommarogerindyreader

"I'm not taking anything off of the table."
    Comedy gold, right there.

June 7, 2013 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  22. Bhawk1

Heard she is visiting South America right now. Is that true. And what is her connection to the data mining since she is on the intel committee and knew of it. Why did she get a free pass on leaking intel.

June 7, 2013 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  23. Anonymous

What "accomplishments" ??

June 7, 2013 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  24. rare_earth

Our country used to be made up with true believers in what we stand for as a people.
    And now, we give credence to absolute nut-cases like her.
    It's shameful, to say the least.

June 7, 2013 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  25. nintex

Of course Hannity wouldn't ask her about the recent congressional ethics inquiry. That might force her to address why she really isn't running and we sure wouldnt want her to have to tell the truth for a change.

June 7, 2013 08:59 am at 8:59 am |