Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Thomas Dean

This is one dangerously ignorant woman that should not hold public office.

June 7, 2013 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  2. StopTheMadness

Hands down win for the democrats in 2016. I honestly hope she doesn't disappear. It's to much comic relief.

June 7, 2013 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  3. Dennis Freeman

Please run in 2016...please, please, please...

June 7, 2013 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  4. Manhattanjohnnie

Michelle Bachmann needs to just go away. I know Republican's tend to go for retreads, but they do select the candidates who came in a close second. Not the back of the pack.

June 7, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  5. Realist

Haaaaaaaa Haaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaa OMG please stop!!

June 7, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  6. Sully29

Have you seen that list of Bachmann's best quotes? This woman needs to be as far away from politics as possible.

June 7, 2013 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  7. jinx9to88

Please run!!! The GOP has an empty seat in the clown car reserved for you.

June 7, 2013 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz aka Take Back The House

She doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning a presidential election.

June 7, 2013 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  9. Who me?

She wasn't asked about the ethics inquiry.On Fox-go figure.If there is a god,please allow her to make another presidential run.I kind of miss Marcus.

June 7, 2013 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  10. Damian

Wow – she's great at buzz words and catch phrases...

June 7, 2013 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  11. PushingBack

Oh please, it is the entertainment we will all be waiting for. Please feel free to spend gobs of money and completely waste your time, we are counting on it and so is Comedy Central!

June 7, 2013 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  12. SentTheWave

Keep this psycho away from the presidency.

June 7, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  13. Bob

We all know this isn't going to work.

June 7, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  14. Jeb

I hope she does run. It will be hilarious to watch her lose again.

June 7, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  15. Marty Mcfly

Oh god. Please let her run. That will make for some amazing late night t.v. until she gets destroyed in the primaries.

June 7, 2013 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  16. FactCheck

Please, God, tell her to run again! There are so few good comedies on TV any more. Michele, listen, listen to that Voice! Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling!

June 7, 2013 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  17. enough

please NO just go away enough with the made up "facts" she spouts

June 7, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  18. mikeretired

Please just go away forever.

June 7, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  19. JROLL1

Please, I am sure there is a circus somewhere that is in need of a 'Lost Clown'....go apply!

June 7, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. Ben Bear

She should run in South Carolina. They love to elect nut jobs and adulterers there. Heck, it seems a prerequisite!

June 7, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  21. Jeebusss

She doesn't know yet because she has to see if she can finish praying her husband's gay away before then. The invisible people in the sky don't seem to be responding to her.

June 7, 2013 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  22. Krang

Lets fill the GOP race with the clowns again. Maybe that pizza guy will run again too! Wonder why the GOP doesn't have a leader??? Its because too many people are embracing imbeciles like Bachman. The GOP needs a pragmatic, enigmatic and enthusiastic leader. Not the clown posse again.

June 7, 2013 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  23. Chuck

Michelle, please go perch yourself indefinitely on Mr. Olympus.

June 7, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  24. Steve Cantle

Yeah. Well, good luck with that.

June 7, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  25. McShannon

Rep. Michele Bachmann running for president in 2016 what a great idea. I encourage her to do so maybe Romney or Ryan would consider VP spot it would be wonderful. The dreamers surely wouldl flock to battle her opponents and attest to her worthiness.

June 7, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |