Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. edpeters101

This woman should not only not be allowed in public office, she should not be allowed in public! Perhaps somebody could send her a one-way ticket to Alaska so she could be with that other lunatic!

June 7, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  2. Satan

The deal was 8 years Michelle. Now back in your cage

June 7, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  3. Slinky

Oh, I hope she runs. It would be worth it for the entertainment value alone.

June 7, 2013 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  4. Birds

Don't try to liken us to you... We're nothing like you, we have much larger brains.

June 7, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  5. Jack

Women, go away! You are an embarrassment!

June 7, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  6. Perch

Oh no you don't!

June 7, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  7. edpeters101

June 7, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  8. me neither

I may also run. I mean... if SHE can....

June 7, 2013 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  9. livingston

And so the clown car starts to fill. My guess is she is calling "shotgun!"!

June 7, 2013 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  10. Alex

I am a bag of hammers and might also run for the GOP nomination.

June 7, 2013 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  11. Aardman

Run for office again? I didn't know the position of Village Idiot was an elected post. For that one, she is eminently qualified. I'd even volunteer in the campaign.

June 7, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  12. No one

I can't wait to see her as president!

June 7, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. Bubba

What an idiot.............

June 7, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  14. PaganScorp

The rest of us not living in the United States laugh our butts off at the thought of this. However we then live in fear at the thought of this cause it might just happen. Remember Bush and then the 2010 midterms? We weren't laughing then. We were just shaking our heads in disbelief.

June 7, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  15. Paul

Uh, crazy lady bachman.
    YOU couldn't be elected dog catcher in a town full of cats
    YOU are a special kind of crazy

June 7, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  16. Nate Mark

Michelle Bachmann, what a joke... she should spare herself the humiliation.

June 7, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  17. debbyt

please.. can't somebody make politicians take a history and geography test before they can run for public office?

June 7, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  18. phillip777

"She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds."

Hannity didn't ask?? What a SHOCK!!!

June 7, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  19. Blaine

Best laugh of the day!

June 7, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  20. Kay

Don't waste your time, Michelle. You blew any chance you had of being elected President some years ago when you said the east coast was being battered by hurricanes because they were being punished by God for their liberal leanings.

June 7, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. Mr. Bachmann

Oh god no.....

June 7, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. mickeymommy

This "woman" is an embarrassment to woman-kind. How she was elected, repeatedly, is a sure sign of the coming apocalypse.

June 7, 2013 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

If it means we get another chance to see her and hubby do that Minnesota huck-a-buck again, go for it.

June 7, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  24. Oliver Clothesoff

SMH... I swear she is just out to ruin the republican party... :Sigh.. Popcorn time already...

June 7, 2013 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  25. PraiseTheLard

A real dilemma... should it be Palin/Bachmann or Bachmann/Palin...

June 7, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |