Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
1 year ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. patNY

The only people happy about this announcement are the late night talk show hosts and comedians, particularly Bill Maher.

June 7, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  2. PraiseTheLard

I wonder which it will be... Palin – Bachmann or Bachmann – Palin...

June 7, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  3. Super weeds

We could learn a thing or two from her

June 7, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Bismarck

This dim-witted religious nut is like a bad lip sore that won't go away, but she sure does serve the Democratic Party well with late-night comic material.

June 7, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  5. Jazz Butcher

"Alex

I am a bag of hammers and might also run for the GOP nomination."

------------------------------

Yeah? Well I'm an upturned mop with a bucket for a head and I may also run for the GOP nomination.

June 7, 2013 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  6. Sam Raimi

Good! Now she can go back to being the wicked witch. It was the role she was born to play

June 7, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  7. sarah

Please run, you were always a highlight!When I was feelinf sad or low, I would turn you on just to watch you misquote, and my day just got better

June 7, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  8. babooph

Why not ,George W . made it,Koch & Murdoch $$$$ may do it in 2016...?Obama will not be around to save us next time though...

June 7, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  9. Tanker

She can run, but she won't run far...

June 7, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  10. I AM

Oh....noooooo...here we go. I thought she died along with the Tea Party. Zombie Politicians are a curse to the USA.

June 7, 2013 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. ready

It's off the table for voters who will not vote for her.

The only people that care about her anymore are ignorant tea party women who were brainwashed aging slave-wives of their husbands.

June 7, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  12. GJGVT

so basically, she went on Hannity and did a job interview for Fox News

June 7, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. Norm

Of course not. You don't think Fox News would ask one of their darlings an embarrassing question, do you? They save that for people they don't like, which is anyone that isn't a member of the GOP. Unless, of course, they consider them a RINO.

June 7, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. Danny

I can't believe I agree with her on one thing:
    Although I think more along the term limits line, and all elected officials should have term limits.

June 7, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. Richard Miller

Go. Go home and stay home. Go any place where we don't have to put up with your crap anymore.

June 7, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  16. allens

she does not realize how dumb she is. people like her are destroying the repub party

June 7, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  17. Atheism is for everyone

This would be truly win-win. Entertainment value for one. Secondly, anyone dumb enough to donate to her campaign deserves to lose some money.

June 7, 2013 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  18. Joe Linka

She's too stupid to be involved in anything other than politics. Any other occupation would send her packing in minutes.

June 7, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Bill Lomee

Bachmann wants to be President so her husband,Marcus ,can re-decorate the White House with the help of Nate Berkus!

June 7, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. charles bowen

Michele's IQ - ! WOW! That Low? You have got to be kidding. Compared to most Republicans she is a Genious, Geneus, Geneyus! Charles Bowen Solomon Stone

June 7, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  21. Linden Atrocity

Save your money Bachmann. Better yet why don't you take all the money you would produce from super PACs and other such donations, and just use it towards our deficit. Because you won't win.

June 7, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  22. Kevin

The question of term limits is a good one. But I seriously question the assertion that she's leaving out of a self-imposed term limit (and doubt she even knows both sides of the argument about term limits anyway)....

June 7, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  23. America

Well that was a fun 8 years. What are we going to laugh at now?

June 7, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. Leigh

Every time this lady opens her mouth, she sticks her foot in it. Shut up already, Michele. Nobody's interested in your clownish antics anymore.

June 7, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. Randy, San Francisco

Great news! Good to see Republicans and Tea Partiers shoot themselves in the foot again. Rebranding of the party is a joke.

June 7, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |