Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table
June 7th, 2013
10 months ago

Bachmann: 2016 is not off the table

(CNN) – Rep. Michele Bachmann, who announced last week she won't seek re-election next year, says she may run for elected office again one day and is not ruling out another presidential bid.

But the Minnesota Republican said her future career in politics is not her top priority at the moment.

"I'm not retiring, I'm not going silent, I'm not quitting my public involvement," she said late Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity." "In fact I may run for another public office. That could happen. But for right now I'm going to find a different perch in order to be able to weigh in on these matters."

While she said she didn't have a specific plan as of now, she is "wide open and looking."

Discussing her reason for leaving Congress, the fourth term representative said she will have served about the same amount of time as a president would serve–eight years. "And I do think that this is a body that needs to have continual turnover."

Bachmann ticked off a list of what she considers her accomplishments on Capitol Hill and in the tea party movement. Asked about a potential 2016 bid for the White House, Bachmann said "I'm not taking anything off of the table."

"But certainly that's not my number one item that I'm looking at right now," the 2012 GOP presidential candidate said. "I'm in the game for the long haul."

She was not asked about a recent congressional ethics inquiry into the improper transfer of campaign funds. However, Bachmann said last week that was not part of her decision to leave.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2016 • Michele Bachmann
  1. rockysfan

Keep dreaming, honey. If there is a God, when you step down, that will be the LAST we hear of you. Sick to death of your fear and war mongering hate speak. Would love to be a fly on the pearly gates when you try to explain your sad sadistic behavior to St Peter and he kicks your but out!

June 7, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Mike

THANK GOD!!!! There's hope for those of us who can't get enough of her idiocy.

June 7, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. The Real Tom Paine

"2016 is not off the table."

Perhaps, but, Bachmann's problem is that fact that she is not even in the dining room to partake of 2016. People only listen to her now because she is in office and says the sort of things people usually utter when they are either drunk or delusional: once she leaves, what little credibility she has with her shrinking base will disappear with her.

June 7, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. glorydays

Oh goody!

June 7, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  5. duckie

Unless you are running for the school board, yes 2016 is off the table. 98% of the voters think you are a crackpot.

June 7, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Alina1

I hope so... Others are boring.

June 7, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Ahyeah

Bachmann is like the gift that keeps on giving.

June 7, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Congress to America

Tag! You're it!

June 7, 2013 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. Bob

That's cool, keep saying your same old ignorant stuff, and we'll keep pointing at you and laughing.

June 7, 2013 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. Hohumm

Super Weeds...we have learned a thing or two from her...but they are not the things anyone would want to be remembered for.

June 7, 2013 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Bill2000

LOL, that said she will make more money on Faux News and on speaking appearances.

June 7, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  12. RickC

good we can use comedy during elections

June 7, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. Chedar

Blackman is more annoying than anything else. Glad one headache is gone. More to go so congress can be back to serious business. Get rid of all candidate backed by the Tea Party in 2014. Otherwise, the Congress will remain a circus with lots of unwanted clowns.

June 7, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  14. Vader

Another visit to crazy town.

June 7, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. Ivy

I have learned a thing or two from her.... Well, just one: You don't need to be Jay Leno or Conan O'Brien to be a comic. She is a disgraceful, unsavory, inflexible, unintelligent, judgmental moron, whose up-n-comings are due.

June 7, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. TheObserver--Elated

HahahahaHaha, hahahaha, great news. Young comedians, bloggers, faithful and the bemused: get ready for the sequel "Bachman Undone, Dumber and Dumbest, part 2.

June 7, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. Paul

Democrats can only hope she runs in 2016. Late night comics are in a state of depression with her getting out.

June 7, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. allenwoll

She may not be off the table,but she is certainly off her rocker - Unfortunately she is NOT alone !

June 7, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. cel1

stick a fork in her, she's done.............

June 7, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. John

Bachmann is like Palin. Time to quit and get out before it gets too hot and gets investigated too much.

June 7, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. Dave

Oh my aching back!!!!

June 7, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. JHL

She needs to focus on getting as rich as she can as quickly as she can to feed the brood. I don't think she has much of a half-life and her audience is shrinking. Get that money!

June 7, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. VA Teacher

Oh please!! I am a Republican and I cannot STAND her! She is the epitome of stupidity, arrogance, and ignorance that is prevalent in the Republican party, and one who seriously gives us a bad name. Those Republicans, like me, want to get rid of this 'old guard' way of thinking and put others in office like Gabriel Gomez.

June 7, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. HAHAHA

As a huge fan of seeing what a bunch of ignorant morons the GOP has become and the comedy they produce, please.... please let this be true.

June 7, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. its_twu

Please run, we could use another Dem. in office.

June 7, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |