June 8th, 2013
10 months ago

Cory Booker announces Senate candidacy Saturday

(CNN) – Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker on Saturday declared his candidacy for the Senate in this year's special election to fill the seat of the late Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg.

Booker's campaign sent out an email release the day before stating that the mayor would make an announcement regarding his candidacy at the event in Newark, followed by a similar event a few hours later in the southern part of the Garden State.

At Saturday's news conference, Booker cited a track record of compromise as Mayor of Newark as an example of how he can help change gridlock in Washington.

"I am here because I believe that people who care, can find solutions to even the most difficult problems. I am here because when we work together, I know from experience that there is no problem we can't solve," Booker said.

Lautenberg died Monday at age 89 and was buried on Friday at Arlington National Cemetery. On Tuesday New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced plans to hold a special Senate election this year, with the Democratic and Republican primaries on August 13 and the general election on October 16. The winner would serve the final 14 1/2 months of Lautenberg's term. An election to a full six-year term will be in November 2014.

CNN reported Thursday that Booker had begun collecting signatures to run in the special election. Candidates hoping to run in the race must hand in 1,000 signatures by 4 p.m. ET on Monday.

Booker, considered a rising star in the Democratic Party, earlier this year announced he was exploring a run for Senate in 2014. He made the news before Lautenberg announced he would not run for re-election.

Booker will become the second Democrat to formally jump into the race. Rep. Rush Holt, who's in his eight term representing New Jersey's 12th Congressional District, said in a statement that on Thursday that, "I ask for your support as I seek to serve as your Senator in that seat. The reason is simple: I believe I am the best candidate to continue the passionate advocacy for progressive values that Sen. Lautenberg exemplified."

Rep. Frank Pallone, who's also considered likely to make a bid, has not made any announcements. A Democratic source with knowledge of Pallone's thinking told CNN "an announcement will be forthcoming" but added that it would come after the late senator's funeral process is over, "out of respect to Lautenberg, who was a close friend to the congressman."

Pallone has the biggest war chest of the three Democrats, with approximately $3 million cash on hand. Booker, who is seen as the favorite in the Democratic nomination battle and who has the potential to raise a large sum of money thanks to his star power and national connections, currently has a smaller war chest than Pallone, with Holt having around $700,000 in the bank.

On the GOP side, former Bogota, New Jersey, Mayor Steve Lonegan says he'll run. Other possible candidates include Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno, Rep. Jon Runyan, and biotech executive John Crowley. State senators Joe Kyrillos and Tom Kean Jr., who have both run for the Senate in the past, seem to be leaning against making another bid this time around. Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnic has said he won't run.

Christie on Thursday appointed state Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa, a fellow Republican, to serve as interim senator until the October election but Chiesa said he won't run.

As for Booker, he challenged critics Saturday who say Washington can't be fixed, a sure campaign theme of his going forward.
"We in New Jersey know a thing or two about toughness, about resiliency and strength. I know this and I've seen it over and over at every point in my career as an elected official. I know the truth of who we are when we are together and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, especially here in New Jersey, that there is nothing we can't do together," Booker said.

-CNN's Greg Clary contributed to this report

Filed under: Cory Booker • New Jersey
  1. Blinded by the republican lie

Good for you Cory...I will be sending a donation to your campaign.

June 8, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Skeptic34

I read this as Cory Stoll from House of Cards. Too much damn TV for me.

June 8, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. Robin Jones

Will Booker be wearing his superhero tights and a cape during his campaign? Should be entertaining.

June 8, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. OldSchool

Excellent. This guy is genuine and actually seems to give a s$%t about the people who he represents and the plight of the downtrodden.

June 8, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Captain Cancun

Sir, how may I be of use to you?

June 8, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. Larry L

The Senate is completely broken – with Republicans blocking all debate and working only for political gains. New Jersey needs to select a candidate willing to compromise to make the democratic process work!

June 8, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. Lib

He has my vote.

June 8, 2013 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. Woops

No offense, Cory. Your accomplishments are laudable, but you can't compromise with folks whose idea of compromise is my way or the highway. You either defend your principles, or you give them up. There is no middle ground with today's Republican party.

June 8, 2013 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. SHJ

He's gonna be the second black Prez of the U.S.

June 8, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. motorfirebox

He pulls cats out of trees, maybe now he can pull the economy out of the well it's fallen into.

June 8, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. McBob79

Blah, blah, blah. Horrrible

June 8, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Hillary2016

I'd rather him be Hillary's VP. ;-)

June 8, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. East of Eden

Only a matter of time. Newark is only his platform.

June 8, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. johnharry

isnt there a mandatory federal retirement age? Never mind its still the do NOTHING congress.
    Only reason the FAA got unfurloughed someone in congress got delayed.

June 8, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. The Facts

The Mayor of Newark, a highly economically depressed and welfare city, does not necessarily make for a good Senator of a whole State. Neither does it make one a good Governor.

It's about representing ALL the people of you state, not only using your power to force others in your state to pay high taxes to support a Welfare City and your power base.

The people of New Jersey should decide wisely.

June 8, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. HBsushi

I hope he is elected as the next Senator from NJ. He seems to be the type of person that is lacking in Congress today.

June 8, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Leonore H. Dvorkin

Go, Cory! I wish I could vote for you, but I live in Colorado.

June 8, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. Peter Grenader

In the next 70 or so days, look for a story which reads: Cory Booker wins senatorial seat in New Jersey. Good for him for doing this.

June 8, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  19. lovethiscountry

can't wait hopes he wins and then run for President in 2016. I live in Texas!

June 8, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. Gem

He's a likable guy. I support his decision.

June 8, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. independant jim

good for the state of NJ good for America..

June 8, 2013 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. rtk25301

"Booker cited a track record of compromise as Mayor of Newark as an example of how he can help change gridlock in Washington. 'I am here because I believe that people who care, can find solutions to even the most difficult problems. I am here because when we work together, I know from experience that there is no problem we can't solve,"'"
    Sadly, this is the same picture I had when reading about Obama prior to 2008 election. The reality is that we would need hundreds like him in the Congress to accomplish the goal of solving problems. Good luck, Mr. Booker. Go Cardinal!

June 8, 2013 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. Thomas

He can handle it !

June 8, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Jneuy

Change..... We heard that before and it's the must divided America ever and our Govt/ IRS is more corrupt than ever. He ll probably win though

June 8, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. stevephoenix

So he's quitting as Mayor of Newark, leaving the city in further shambles than when he began, to run for higher office.

Sounds like failing upward to me!

June 8, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |