Rand Paul says he might sue government
June 9th, 2013

Rand Paul says he might sue government

Washington (CNN) – Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, said Sunday he's looking into suing the federal government in the wake of what has been a tumultuous week for the Obama administration and National Security Agency.

"I'm going to be seeing if I can challenge this at the Supreme Court level. I'm going to be asking the Internet providers and all of the phone companies; ask your customers to join me in a class-action lawsuit," Paul said on FOX News Sunday.

"If we get 10 million Americans saying, 'We don't want our phone records looked at' then maybe someone will wake up and things will change in Washington."

The controversy began this week after multiple published reports said the NSA has been mining the phone and Internet records of both U.S. citizens and people around the world in a quest to prevent terrorist attacks.

President Obama addressed the issue Friday, saying the information gathered is extremely broad and that the government isn't monitoring the content of the data or people's names unless they have probable cause and a warrant.

But Paul said this data collection is by no means a modest invasion of privacy and in fact may even weaken America's counterterrorism operations.

"We are looking through so much data that I think it makes our fight against terrorism worse," Paul said.

In the end, Paul - known as a strong proponent of civil liberties - said this intelligence-gathering strategy is simply a step too far.

"I think the American people are with me and I think if you talk to young people who use computers on a daily basis, they are absolutely with me," Paul said.

Filed under: NSA • Rand Paul
  1. mary kempski

thank you Rand, i have a verizon phone and cant afford to get another one somewhere else,, i will stand behind you 100%. the government has no right doing this, i never even had a traffic ticket and i'm 60 yrs old how dare them listening to my calls and texts.. this is AMERICA last time i checked... THANK YOU for men like you Mr Paul

June 9, 2013 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Political party doesn't matter on this one. He is right and Democrats and Republicans should get behind him on this one.

June 9, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. Michael Riggs

Rand Paul 2016! I am an Iraq veteran who lost friends and dear brothers over sees doing what we thought and were told at the time was to defend our country but it breaks my heart and makes me physically sick to see AMERICANS so eager to hand over rights for security when so many service men and woman have died for you to have those rights please REMMBER the fallen when you say "I have nothing to hide so I don't need the 4th amendment" please take longer to think on this issue then you would over the little things , this is important. We must slow down for once and analyze where we are going and have a real discussion not a Facebook commentary . I have PTSD and struggle everyday with what happened over thier please don't let my life and millions of others veterans life's go to waste , please.

June 9, 2013 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Eyrothath

Look at Rand Paul's voting record on vote smart! It's a website, can look up anyone's voting record who is in office, Rand Paul voted NO on the Patriot Act and opposed it in 2011 and still opposes it! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

June 9, 2013 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. Eh

Actually, it seems that he voted against extending the Patriot Act 3 times. He's not perfect, he's not Ron, but he's better than just about any politician we have going right now. Miles better than this Bush/Obama reign of terror we've had going for the last 13 years.

June 9, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  6. Melanie

I would agree with you Mr. Paul but it makes me falter to wonder if you aren't under the Koch brother's payroll to divert the US citizens attentions. As much as I would like to believe that you are who so many think you are, you have proven to be a disappointment to me (as majority of all politicians on any level) by being under the Koch brother's thumb on previous occasions, especially when dealing with our Social Securities.

June 9, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  7. Me too

The prez was entirely too smug when he announced his approval of the NSA monitoring. It fits right in with his policy of Big Government. He is an evil facist.
    It isn't a matter of whether or not I have nothing to hide. I don't – but still do not want the gov-ment all up in my business. I don't want them listening to my phone calls (I can control what I say but not what my crazy sister might say!), don't want them reading my e-mails. While social media is one thing – you are basically putting everything out there with no privacy expectations, on the phone with family, you do.

June 9, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. lisa

Your the only one in Washington who is for the people, not against them.

June 9, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

Vote This CLOWN OUT!

June 9, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  10. OKfine

Beth Dusty

I think something HAS to be done!! Obama is trying very hard to take over this country and make all of the American people his slaves... Come on America!! We are better than Obama is!! We can beat him and his Democratic cohorts!!

Grow up Beth. This law was written and enacted under Bush – bet you didn't have any problem with it then, did you.? The vote to extend it in 2011 and had far more Republican votes in favor of doing so then Democratic votes.

June 9, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Name Uche Agonsi

If you want to shoot, you shoot. Dont talk...... Rand Paul should rather evoke the Heaven to fall for all I care. This guy mouth is like a running tap, it has everything bad coming recklessly from it.

June 9, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. jesus

yeah Sen. Paul I'm with you

June 9, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. jkane sfl the gop national disgrace party will be swept out like the trash they are in2014 ?

Bland Paul is a national joke and teaparty loser and an embarrassment to the state of ky, the same as bachmann is to Minn.

June 9, 2013 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. LaVerne

For the sake of all the people in KY...Please shut up!!! Do you not realize that President Bush started these programs under the Homeland Security Program? I am not saying that what he did was wrong, but please stay off the TV and give us a break as you make the rest of us Kentuckians look like idiots!!!

June 9, 2013 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. Mark Caldwell

Ditto Paula.

June 9, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. Anthony in California

McCain just came out and blasted Rand because he(Rand) VOTED for this Patriot Act revision.
    This is the levels of cluelessness in the Gov now a days.

Who's Rand going to sue? HIMSELF?

June 9, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. mzaz2012

Put up the web site. I'll stand behind you.

June 9, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. mzaz2012

where do I sign???

June 9, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. Gwen Anderson

I am very much in favor of this law suit, I feel like im being watched and listened to all the time but I believe Verizon and all othe phone companys and internet providers for not telling us we were being spyed on

June 9, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. Gwen Anderson

I believe that Verizon and all other phone companys and internet providers be suied too for not leting us know we are being spyed on

June 9, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  21. Marian Gleason

I want to sign up! I'm a Verizon customer and I want out of my contract!

June 9, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. Revolution

Rand Paul your a true American!

June 9, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. Gary

10000000 americans to sign. You can't get 10000000 votes. The other 220000000 know your a fool.

June 9, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. Leftcoastrocky

Instead of suing the government, Rand Paul, you should introduce legislation to amend the Patriot Act.

June 9, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. plain&simple

Education.... The enemy of the tea party! Rand Paul counts on it. Otherwise he never even suggests what he did. Ignorance is his only friend.

June 9, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |