Rand Paul says he might sue government
June 9th, 2013
1 year ago

Rand Paul says he might sue government

Washington (CNN) – Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, said Sunday he's looking into suing the federal government in the wake of what has been a tumultuous week for the Obama administration and National Security Agency.

"I'm going to be seeing if I can challenge this at the Supreme Court level. I'm going to be asking the Internet providers and all of the phone companies; ask your customers to join me in a class-action lawsuit," Paul said on FOX News Sunday.

"If we get 10 million Americans saying, 'We don't want our phone records looked at' then maybe someone will wake up and things will change in Washington."

The controversy began this week after multiple published reports said the NSA has been mining the phone and Internet records of both U.S. citizens and people around the world in a quest to prevent terrorist attacks.

President Obama addressed the issue Friday, saying the information gathered is extremely broad and that the government isn't monitoring the content of the data or people's names unless they have probable cause and a warrant.

But Paul said this data collection is by no means a modest invasion of privacy and in fact may even weaken America's counterterrorism operations.

"We are looking through so much data that I think it makes our fight against terrorism worse," Paul said.

In the end, Paul - known as a strong proponent of civil liberties - said this intelligence-gathering strategy is simply a step too far.

"I think the American people are with me and I think if you talk to young people who use computers on a daily basis, they are absolutely with me," Paul said.

Filed under: NSA • Rand Paul
  1. BrownDirt

Sure why not sue but can you sue them personably so as not to waste more of the sheeps tax dollars, I for one am really tired of giving you 30% of my hard earned money and have a bunch of bickering bandits waste it on taking our freedoms away.

June 9, 2013 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  2. RandyIA

I keep hearing people say I have nothing to hide, so snooping doesn't bother me. Should it not instead be, i have done nothing wrong, why are you looking at me?

June 9, 2013 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. Concerned American

Sounds like a bunch of libs on here!!!

June 9, 2013 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  4. Tom L.

@Bessy,
    He voted against the Patriot Act. He is very consistent witht his issue. Are you?

Were you for the Patriot Act when it was passed under Bush? Or did you gain support for the Patriot Act when it expired during Obama's term and he had it extended?

June 9, 2013 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. laren

Congress passed the Patriot Act after 9/11. Almost everyone thought it was a great idea. Some of us expressed concerned but we were accused of all sorts of things for questioning this. It is just further evidence that he has no idea what he is talking about. He thinks grand standing will take him to the White House. congress passed this he doesn't need to sue just put forward a bill that they undo it. Idiot

June 9, 2013 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Art

Democrats seem not to understand the concept of rule by the mob. Democracy usually ends up to leading to a rule by the mob and socialism. Socialism leads to a tyrannical government. But besides that Rand Paul has a right to sue the government if he feels that the mob is infringing upon his rights. Although I think this stems further due to the fact that a secret court allowed this infringement on our privacies. You have to love a government ran in secrecy for the "benefit of the people."

June 9, 2013 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  7. Larry

Just so you all know Rand Paul is a freshman Senator. So he is trying to shut down a lot of the unjust laws the were passed before he was in the Senate.

June 9, 2013 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  8. jim

I can't believe you guy's are so naive.It's about government take over, tyranny, running amok, chasing Americans when they should be chasing. Muslims, invasion of privacy.. I have nothing to hide either, but I sure don't want anyone recording my messages or emails or anything that is my personal biz. give them an inch and they will take a mile . and as long as you guys go with the flow and say go ahead the more they will do until one day you'll wake up and say wow How did that happen?We have absolutly no freedom anymore.Everything I do or don't do is on record and is being used against me.I can't even get a job because of it.etc.. IHow did that happen.? It happened because you let it happen. It may seem like small beans now, but what's next? Every week it's something else with these assholes. Whats it going to be next?Your making it way too easy for them. And how is having a,cess to everyones phone and internet action going to prevent anything.They are doing it for some other reason . In the guise of our protection.. you people are so blind it sickens me.

June 9, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein

Where would he get standing? I know that people could feel violated, but there is a need to show harm. Given all this is secrert, how is discovery going to go?

June 9, 2013 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. fandancy

Rand Paul gets more and more desperate to get his name in the news.
    He's a Glen Beck wannabe and a Lee Harvey Oswald lookalike.

June 9, 2013 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  11. Thomas

@James
    Haters be hatin' today...do yourselves a favor and lay off the Haterade.
    =========
    Just because Rand Paul is a self centered freshman politician with an ego larger then his brain doesn't mean we hate him.

You have to admit , he loves his job . And it's funny to listen to a guy that wants less government , working in government . The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Aqua TEA Buddha forever !

June 9, 2013 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  12. June Bug

I support Rand Paul. The government has gotten out of control. I have no problem listening to a phone call with probable cause, but for the millions of people they are looking at their phone calls, they all can't have probable cause.
    By the last few scandals, we know this government can not be trusted and have no credibility. So I will join Rand Paul in his law suit..

June 9, 2013 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  13. fandancy

Woody.............
    Are you talking about the Ben Franklin who died over 300 years ago before terrorists were trying to kill Americans in every way imaginational? The guy who died before rockets, bombs, telephones, airplanes, computers, the internet, al etc. were invented?
    And Al Qaeda existed?
    That guy?

June 10, 2013 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  14. Doug

Go get them Mr. Rand Paul!

June 10, 2013 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  15. Kris

After reading through two pages of comments. I've lost all hope for society as a whole, and have come to think that most people that even vaguely pay attention to politics are knee-jerk reactionaries with no knowledge whatsoever of political science or even basic history.

... That and people seem to not care that the USA is turning into a draconian welfare/warfare police state...

June 10, 2013 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  16. picnick

Rand Paul is right.

I am glad someone with foresight and backbone is in DC fighting against this.

I hope Randal Paul runs for POTUS.

I would finally have a POTUS that I could be proud of.

June 10, 2013 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  17. Josh

I don't like Rand Paul, the Tea Partiers, or any Republican. I voted for Obama because everything else was a cartoon show – but everything since 9/11 and this latest NSA crap – I give up. Voting is a waste of time. America is dead and its time to leave.

June 10, 2013 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  18. Robin

Where do I sign?

June 10, 2013 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  19. Tammy Thompson

I realize most CNN watchers are mostly communist, socialists but get a clue. Rand Paul can't get anything passed in the Senate because it is full of Communist Socialists. The anti God party who is leading this country into the depths. Rand Paul at least is trying to wake up the kool aid drinkers so they see what their futures are going to look like. If you are one of the free loading minion, I understand your want for the freebees to continue, but for anyone who actually works and loves this country.....WAKE UP

June 10, 2013 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. Janice Williams

Where do I sign

June 10, 2013 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  21. J.V.Hodgson

Has he any idea what that could imply for his party.
    If I understand our constitution and the supreme court agreed with him; I believe that would be grounds for impeach ment of every senator or house member who voted yea for the patriot act.
    Just like most all his other bills it wont get to the house floor nor will this nonsense get to the supreme court.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 10, 2013 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  22. ChaznGwenie Gugins

to all you people that think it is ok to snoop because you have nothing to hide, I've got news for you it is still illegal to do this. What you have to hide is not the point morons. You are giving up your freedom that are in our constitution.

June 10, 2013 04:18 am at 4:18 am |
  23. Supergranny11

What many Americans fail to understand is whether you have something to hide or not, the federal government does not have the right to collect data indiscriminately. The 4th Amendment is pretty clear on this issue. Senator Paul is one of the few voices in the Senate willing to question the insanity. The author of the Patriot Act has stated that seizing phone, data, photos, emails, etc. from the citizenry is not in the law he wrote. We have to stop this ever-intrusive government from ignoring our rights. A warrant can only be issued based on probable cause. There is no provision anywhere in our Constitution for a blanket warrant of this magnitude or nature to be served on the citizens.

June 10, 2013 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  24. AAM

Where was he when the Patriot Act got passed then??

June 10, 2013 04:54 am at 4:54 am |
  25. Freedom4America

Judging by the many comments from all you SHLEEPLE it looks like Bush's "NO CHILD LEFT WITH A BRAIN" act worked!! It did what they wanted and DUMBED down Americans!!

For those of you that think Rand Paul became a Senator because he wanted to you are truly clueless. Like his father he became a Congressmen to try and fix what has been WRONG with this government for many, many years and caused by BOTH Major Political Parties!!

There is no Left vs Right anymore there is only RIGHT and BOTH parties have been doing WRONG for too long of a time now!! We would prefer to totally do away with political parties and vote on a candidate's platform instead of being LAZY and just vote along a political party!!

Rand Paul realizes that Congress is HOPELESS and just votes the way LOBBYISTS tell them to whether it is BEST for We the People or not!! By taking it to the Supreme Court something stands a much better chance of being accomplished than by submitting another bill that Congress will just IGNORE!!

We the People can NOT blame Rand Paul for Congress refusal to co-sponsor his bills. Go read those bills that he tried to get passed. They are to protect We the People and especially our RIGHTS!! Congress is the PROBLEM as well as the rest of Government and NOT Rand Paul!!

June 10, 2013 06:20 am at 6:20 am |