Christie has repair work to do with conservatives
June 14th, 2013

Christie has repair work to do with conservatives

Washington (CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie declined an invitation to attend a major gathering of social conservatives this week in Washington, opting instead to make a high-profile appearance at a forum organized by former President Bill Clinton in Chicago.

Christie's decision was hardly a bombshell: Up for re-election in November in a Democratic-leaning state, the governor can hardly afford to be seen courting Christian conservatives and sharing a stage with divisive figures like Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2016 • Chris Christie • Republicans
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't want to share a stage with Michelle Bachmann.

June 14, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Canuck

When I read 'faith and freedom' I automatically assume 'hatred and bigotry'.

June 14, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. Maria Rivera-Carvalho

Then he should start that repair work right away. It will alienate the progressives, will buy his political career and the world will be a better palce.

June 14, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

That might be "mission impossible".

June 14, 2013 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  5. emskadittle

he to make up to conservatives because he cares for his state, this world had gone crazy

June 14, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

What can he do besides set his hair on fire?

June 14, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

When I read 'faith and freedom' I automatically assume 'hatred and bigotry'
    -------------------------------------------------
    You and me both.

June 14, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. ge

something wrong when republicans don,t want to be seen with other republicans

June 14, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Steveo

I don't like the mindless party drones on either side. Christie has an independent streak! I like that!

June 14, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

I guess the poor guy has to pay a visit to the right wing's thought police. He'd return talking in tongues.

June 14, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Jopa

Too late to repair anything, outside of Jersey and the liberal press...he doesn't even come up on the radar

June 14, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wouldn't it be easier and saner to just chage his Party designation and become an independent?
    I say that wearily though because I'm not sure that Christie can stay sane, rational and fair ad infinitum in order to be an independent. He is likely to revert.

June 14, 2013 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  13. Me

Canuck

When I read 'faith and freedom' I automatically assume 'hatred and bigotry'.
    _________________
    That is because you are hateful and a bigot!

June 14, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  14. Thomas

He will do fine if he picks a running mate like Rick Perry or Rand Paul.

Right !

June 14, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Pardon me, that should've been "warily" not 'wearily". I gotta stop hanging out with the "usual suspects" as I am starting to write like them! LOL!

June 14, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. Larry L

The Faith & Freedom Coalition is simply a PAC-subset of the Tea Party. The same ridiculous clowns we saw lining up for the 2012 election are looking for a seat in the GOP Clown Car now. Bachman essentially called Latino immigrants ignorant and worthless – future free-loaders. Bush, in a nicer way, said they reproduced like rats. They will never be anything but the American Taliban.

June 14, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. CronoT

Maybe if more Republicans were more like Gov. Christie, the Tea Party wouldn't be dumping all over the political process, & Congress wouldn't have an average approval rating of 10% right now.

June 14, 2013 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Christie isn't going to do anything to repair his image with neo-libertarians. The long range forecast says that the current crop of extremists should be gone in a few years, hopefully replaced by what used to be called establishment conservatives.

June 14, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |