June 15th, 2013
10 months ago

Palin embraces SNL sketch, dishes out her own humor

(CNN) - There are so many scandals in Washington, Sarah Palin said, they could be lumped under the name of the botched gun-running sting that landed Attorney General Eric Holder in hot water long before the Benghazi, IRS or NSA stories came to light.

"These scandals are coming at us so Fast and Furious," she quipped at an annual gathering of conservatives on Saturday.

More: There's an alphabet soup of government overreach, Cain says

Palin was the final speaker and star of the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference Saturday program, where she served up her criticism of President Barack Obama with her trademark witticisms.

The former Alaska governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee offered no clues in her speech about her political future but was introduced by a video that culminated with footage of a roaring and rearing bear. It was a tribute to her "mama grizzly" effort on behalf of tenacious women running for public office.

Asked by CNN if she would be on the campaign trail again in 2014 on behalf of fellow Republicans, Palin replied, "Absolutely, more than ever."

"Time's-a-wasting. Things are moving really quickly and if we don't get out there and defend this republic then America will be transformed into something we do not recognize," she told CNN.

More: Priebus: Romney was vulnerable like a "duck on the pond"

She is also returning to television, where she has been largely absent since her contract with Fox News ended last year. The network said Thursday that she is returning as a paid commentator.

At the conference, she said the Washington controversies remind her of a sarcastic sketch performed by her "really, really good friends at Saturday Night Live." (They're friends, she said, because she provided actress Tina Fey, her look-alike, "job security.")

"Our government spied on every single one of your phone calls but it couldn't find two pot smoking dead-beat Bostonians with a hotline to terrorist central in Chechnya. Really?"

"Its built apparatus to sneak into all the good guys communications, but oops-a-daisy, it missed the Fort Hood mass murder of our own troops despite this Islamic terrorist declaring his ideology in numerous Army counseling sessions and on his own business cards," she said. "Really?"

More: Perry: Politicians aren't perfect

And the IRS "can't figure out how it managed to spend over 4 million dollars on a training conference because it didn't keep the receipts. Really? You try that with the IRS."

Palin swiped at a fellow Republican, too.

She appeared to reference former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's remark at the same conference on Friday that immigrants were "more fertile," made in the context that legal immigration could "create an engine of economic prosperity."

Bush is a proponent of immigration reform.

Palin responded, "I think it's kind of dangerous territory, touchy territory, to want to debate this over one race's fertility rate over another, and I say this as someone who's kinda fertile herself.

"I don't think that's where we want to go in deciding how we incentivize the hard working responsible families that want to be in the light, follow the law, and become Americans versus those whose very first act on our soil is to break the law," she said.

The former governor took what appeared to be a light-hearted dig at first lady Michelle Obama, who said while being heckled at a fundraiser this month, "One of the things I don't do well is this."

Palin said near the top of her speech, "If there's any protesters, speak now or forever hold your peace, because facing the protesters, facing the critics - that's something I do well."

She voiced her oft-stated dislike for Washington, calling it a "hot mess," and said lawmakers should listen to a senator new to the city.

"You know what I wish Congress would do - just for a week, perhaps, just put themselves on cruise control," she said.

"Ted Cruz control," she added, naming the freshman GOP senator from Texas who she campaigned for last year.

Filed under: 2014 • 2016 • Sarah Palin
  1. Donkey Party

ConanX says "This woman speaks wisdom".

I will gladly pay for your vasectomy, Conan, just so I (and America) can sleep a little more comfortably at night knowing you can't reproduce.

June 15, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  2. Smarterestest Human

Just what I want in a political leader, one who mocks things. Yikes! She is dangerous.

June 15, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. MesaMax

Sarah Palin: The woman the Lefties LOVE to hate. And then they go around labeling other Americans as Haters. I guess it is just the 'do as I say, not as I do' thing again. Leftism is the fastest growing religion in the Western world.

June 15, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. thinkergal

This woman speaks trash, and in a very irritating voice at that.

June 15, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. abby1

I hate that politics have been become theatrical. The politicians are always putting on a performance to earn money.

June 15, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I think Sarah found out a million a year is better than nothing.

June 15, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. Getoverit

Nice hatred spews, Libs. Reminds me of my 3 month old chucking up her strained peas. Keep it up.

June 15, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. Steve

Sarah Palin is a relic of a conservative movement that will not survive the next decade due to its outdated, simplistic world view.

June 15, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  9. scarf

"If there's any protesters, speak now or forever hold your peace, because facing the protesters, facing the critics – that's something I do well."

Not really. Insulting someone for legitimate criticism of you is a sign of immaturity. It's one of the main reasons intelligent people don't have any respect for Palin.

June 15, 2013 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. luke,az

Sarah Palin, symbol of the tea party. Incompetent and misguided.

June 15, 2013 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  11. mylife

Pathetic.

June 15, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. kkummmen

anyone like Palin who believes dinasours lived a few thousand years ago is an idiot.....

June 15, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. nintex

As much as I truly dislike this woman, she just may be the best thing the Democrats have going for them, going into the coming election cycle. Every time she opens her mouth, I think more people cringe at her same-old, same-old line of disrespect toward the President. I know she put me totally in the Democratic camp in 2008 – the first time she opened her mouth, I started toward the left end of the spectrum, both financially and with my time, volunteering in every Democrat fundraiser at the local level I could find. I really, really want someone to ask her just exactly what she would do to handle the world's problems, since she doesn't care for the way President Obama is doing it. I want her to put forward a solution to the problems, not just more of the same blah, blah, blah that she's been repeating for the last hundred or so years.

June 15, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  14. Richard Long

Damnit people!!!! Obama still has three more years if rule! Stop talking about the 2016 elections already!

June 15, 2013 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Matt Mattson

I often wonder what did this woman do to deserve such ire. Did she use the Internal Revenue Service attack political enemies? Did she invent a gun running operation to Mexico with the ultimate aim of defrauding Americans of their 2nd Amendment rights? Did she invest billions of tax dollars in bogus energy companies, 50% of which had donated to her? Did she plan vacations to spend the maximum taxpayer dollars by flying the maximum number of aircraft? Did she double down on a spy operation to change it into spying on Americans at home? I guess she did all these things, nobody else seems to get any heat for them.

June 15, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. rs

If she remains a public figure associated with the GOP, Ms. Palin alone may prevent the party from winning a national election ever again. Letting her walk around and say things in the name of the Republican Party reduces what is left of their credibility to naught.

June 15, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. fsmgroupie

Palin/Bachmann 2016 !!!

June 15, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Phaerisee

I vote Democrat these days, but one thing I do admire about Palin is she says what is on her mind most of the time. I think more transparency and candor would engender a great deal of goodwill among disgruntled GOP voters. The rest of the GOP should follow her example.

June 15, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  19. MaryM

ENOUGH! Enough of the Failin Palin

June 15, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. Hugh_Mann

Faith and Freedom Coalition is funny enough to begin with – The American Taliban wants you to have the freedom to disagree with them? I seriously doubt that

June 15, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. don

get back in the kitchen where you belong palin and make your husband a sandwich and don't forget the beer.

June 15, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  22. John N Florida

A Winner NEVER quits and a QUITTER never wins. Bye-bye Sarah.

June 15, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. ohioman

Oh Pathetic Palin..when will you ever shut up and just go away...

June 15, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. rosethornne

She needs to take her ill-gotten gains and vamoose.

June 15, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. ohioman

Oh Pathetic Palin..when will you ever just shut up and go away?

June 15, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |