June 19th, 2013
1 year ago

Christie is a fan of who??

(CNN) - He went there.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie announced his support for one of the most divisive football teams in the country–and it's not one of the two teams that play in his state.

"My favorite football team is not the New York Giants," he told elementary students Tuesday, as they responded with a loud round of boos at an assembly in Parlin, New Jersey. "It's not the New York Jets and it's not the Philadelphia Eagles."

"Get ready now," he teased. "My favorite football team are the Dallas Cowboys."

The students erupted into a mix of cheers and boos.

"Which by the way is not the smartest thing for the governor of New Jersey to want to be is a fan of the Dallas Cowboys," he said.

Christie, who's up for re-election this year, previously revealed his support for the Cowboys in 2010 during a newspaper interview.

When he was a kid, he told the students, he was big fan of Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach.

"The Giants and the Jets pretty much stunk when I was a kid. And my father was a Giants fan and I used to remember watching him when I was eight, nine years old and every Sunday he would watch the Giants and yell at the TV set," the Republican governor said. "I used to think to myself why would I want to root for a team that makes you angry?"

But to prove his regional loyalty, Christie has talked before about his support for the New York Rangers, the New York Mets, and the New York Knicks.

While Jersey now has the Devils for hockey and previously had the Nets for basketball, Christie said in 2010 that he grew up when the Nets played in Long Island and the Devils didn't exist. (Hence, the Knicks and Rangers favoritism.)

Disclosure: This writer is a lifelong Cowboys fan who recently switched to the Washington Redskins. RGIII all the way!

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey • New York • Texas
  1. Rudy NYC

....the Republican governor said. "I used to think to myself why would I want to root for a team that makes you angry?"
    ------------------
    He must spend his NFL Sundays watching reruns of old games. The Cowboys have been very frustrating to their fans as of late. They made the playoffs for the first time in 16 years a couple of years ago, only to be knocked out in the first round. The Giants have had the Cowgirls in their pocket since they opened their new stadium, which the G-Men christened with a victory.

June 19, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. nilla

"While he considers it politically incorrect to be a Cowboys fan in New Jersey, he may be making a smart move.

Choosing one of the New York teams might not win him many friends in the south part of the state, close to the Philadelphia Eagles–and vice versa."

Note to the author: Eagles fans typically hate the Cowboys more than they hate the Giants.

June 19, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Data Driven

Ms. Killough, you can't just switch allegiances from the Cowboys to the Redskins, ancient rivals in the NFC East. You were never a Redskins fan, now fess up!

June 19, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. PuzzledInPeoria

"Get ready now," he teased. "My favorite football team are the Dallas Cowboys."

Since "team" is the subject of this sentence, I think it should be:

"My favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys."

June 19, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. emskadittle

hmmmm Maybe republicans should think the same way, I"why would I want to root for a team that makes you angry?"

June 19, 2013 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. nilla

@Rudy NYC:

Since the 1997 season, the Cowboys have made the playoffs 6 times. Most were first-round losses, with the exception of their last appearance in 2009, where they beat the Eagles in the Wild Card round, only to get trampled by Bret Favre and the Vikings in the divisional round. They lost to the Giants in the divisional round in 2007 after winning the NFC East.

June 19, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

G-MEN!!! This will lose you support Christie. Bad answer!

June 19, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. doug

That explains why he supports a plan to big the largest Mall/Water Park/environmental Disaster in the Meadowlands right near the Stadium. This guy should be run out of the State on a rail. He is the worst Governor we have ever had by a big margin.

June 19, 2013 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. MSWRavens

You cannot be a Cowboys fan & "switch to the Redskins"...what you are is NOT a football fan, but a fan of the flavor of the month...

June 19, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"He went there. "

NEWSFLASH: There is no there, there.

NOBODY CARES.

June 19, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

nilla

@Rudy NYC:

----------------
    My mistake. The Cowgirls had not *won* a playoff game for 16 seasons. They finally got a win a couple of seasons ago. Shucks, without the Cowboys poor play, the Giants couldn't have won Superbowls.

June 19, 2013 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Sniffit

""My favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys.""

But but but, I thought our childrens is learning! We definitely need to create more education....

June 19, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. sambell1

that's funny, he lied about why he called a senatorial election 3 weeks before the scheduled election and he's not willing to lie about his favorite football team. the guy is weird!

June 19, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. John

And all this matters because?

June 19, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Joe

Headline: 'Christie is a fan of who?' Did anyone at CNN take English in junior high? It's 'Christie is a fan of whom?'

June 19, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. just sayin

he should have said he was a patriots fan. what unpatriotic person could not support a team named the patriots?

June 19, 2013 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. huh?

You cannot just switch from the Cowboys to the Redskins! Historic rivalry... Bandwagon much? You sir have discredited yourself on anything football related.

Go Panthers!!!!!

June 19, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. mike duffy

He should reconsider. The Seattle Seahawks will be America's team for Elementary school boys.

June 19, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. MIchael

And I thought he was going to say he was a fan for Dunkin Donuts and a 128oz coke ;-)

June 19, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  20. anonymous

Hey, at least our governor can throw a football unlike our president! Way to win that stuffed toy for him Gov!

June 19, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. Liberal Sense (Or lack thereof)

Liberal hatred. Alive and well here at CNN.

June 19, 2013 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Donnie the Lion

He might as well have said "I snack on orphans." NJ voters will NOT like that at all.

June 19, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  23. Sally

I am liking this guy more and more !! I am a life long resident of the State and have been a Cowboy fan since the 1970's through the good times and the bad.

June 19, 2013 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. John

A Republican can't win without Texas.

June 19, 2013 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. Rino 1

I think that was the last thing anyone heard Jimmy Hoffa say!

June 19, 2013 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |