Christie: Was I supposed to wear my Romney sweatshirt?
June 21st, 2013
1 year ago

Christie: Was I supposed to wear my Romney sweatshirt?

(CNN) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Friday continued to defend his appearance with President Barack Obama last year when the president came to survey the damage from Superstorm Sandy, just days before the presidential election

Critics decried the Republican governor for standing side-by-side with Obama, arguing Christie, who served as a top surrogate for GOP nominee Mitt Romney, helped bolster the president's image shortly before voters took to the polls.

But Christie stands by his decision.

"I said to some of my Republican friends in the aftermath of this, like well what did you expect me to do when the president showed up? Do you want me to wear my Romney sweatshirt when I was standing with him? What exactly did you expect me to do?" Christie said while keynoting a Washington conference on volunteering and service.

Since the storm plowed into his state at the end of October, Christie has become the face of New Jersey's recovery efforts. He sought federal relief aid and sharply rebuked Republicans in Congress who voted against the aid bill at the beginning of the year. (Congress later passed more than $50 billion in relief funds.)

Christie, who again embraced a visit by the president in May, reminded the audience that he did not vote for the president and has policy disagreements with Obama.

"But (whether) you voted for him or not, in this country we have one president at a time," he said, drawing applause from the audience.

Reflecting back to Obama's initial visit after the storm, Christie said it never crossed his mind "to act any other way" during the president's trip.

"I was elected to serve the people of the state of New Jersey, and the people of my state were in crisis, and anybody (who) competently came to help my people, I was going to say they've done a good job whether they were a Republican or a Democrat," he said.

"I wish the hurricane hadn't have happened when it did because it gave the president a chance to be presidential and to be out showing sympathy for folks," Romney said. "That's one of the advantages of incumbency. But, you know, you don't look back and worry about each little thing and how could that have been different."

In fact, Christie was invited to speak this month at a forum sponsored by Romney in Utah, where leading Republican donors gathered to discuss some of the issues facing the nation.

Pressed about Christie's 2016 potential, Romney said the Republican has proved he's been a "very effective" governor in dealing with the hurricane and working with a Democratic legislature in a left-leaning state.

"You have to look at Chris and say this is a guy who's been a very effective governor and has a great potential for leadership," Romney said.

– CNN's Alan Silverleib and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Chris Christie • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Guess

Rick, you are a true gop trooper, so christie was supposed to play party politics and ignore the dire state of emergency his people were experiencing? that is why your party cant win without cheating, you suck

June 21, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

Maybe Christie should have worn a white hoodie..... And carried a torch.....

June 21, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  3. Tellthetruth

But you hugged him like he was your Dad. It was like 'thank god your here I was so lost'. What kind of a leader is that?
    You blew 400 million in money because of almost a typo and now when the chips were down you looked bully who got wupped up and went begging . Not a leader at all just a bully.

June 21, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  4. Thomas Mantel

He will run with Jeb Bush in 2014 and lose .

June 21, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. kgala

Christie made Romney lose the election.

Otherwise, Romney was ahead by 7 points in polls.

June 21, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Thomas Mantel

Romney , a statement like that confirms how out of touch you are !

If the storm hit after the election it would have been ok ?

June 21, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. kgala

Some people wanted Christie to point his finger in Obama's face like the Arizona Governor Brewer did! But Christie is not the Wicked W....of the West!

June 21, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Curmudgeon John

Unfortunately Romney only sent the Gov an extra small, the size of his compassion and ideas

June 21, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Boomer in Mo

What a great many in the GOP hates about the President is the color of his skin. I know some old Republicans and that is THE problem. His race. they carry on about all kinds of things but the fact there is a -- in the White House is THE problem for them. It's time to quit beating around the bush about it. I don't like many of Mr. Obama's policies and think he is incompetent but the color of his skin matters not a whit to me. But talk to some old line, southern Republicans like my parents...

June 21, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Enoch

Let the retards believe that Romney. is the end all be all for their party. Just shows how out of touch they really are.

June 21, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. Equality for ALL

Thi is hillarious and sad.

Republicans are pathetic and sad individuals, they don't get it.

I am a democrat, support my President, no matter if his Democrat or Republican, he was elected to that office and we must respect it. Wheter you like it or not. I didn't voted for George W. Bush but I respected the office.

Why is republicans, not all always preaching hate.

Governor Christie, did the right thing, help his people any way he could and I admire him for it, I admire disaster as they don't judge you, wheter your Democrat or Republica, Rich or poor, Gay or Straight, everyone will feel it.

Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people; before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children; before you preach to me of your passion for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what ...you have to tell or sell as in how you choose to live and give.

June 21, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. Evergreen

Christie is not the reason Mitt lost. Ann's "you people" comment, his trip to the UK where he was dubbed "Mitt the Twit" and refusing to release multiple year tax returns.

June 21, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. lexgreen

Mr. Christie should consider switching parties. He would be an asset to the Democrats.

Let the GOP implode.

June 21, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. dt

"Romney told CNN's Gloria Borger earlier this month that he has no hard feelings towards Christie. Asked if he blames the Republican governor at all for the final results, Romney repeatedly said "no." "

Um, Romney should be worried Christie is mad at him, not the other way around.

June 21, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. Just a thought

Oh cares....? Anyway, this type of article gets the Tea Tards all angry at Christie, further assuring the new party of the whigs will soon fade away...so keep it up Christie, the angry base of GOP /Tea Tards don't like anybody.

June 21, 2013 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  16. Bob

kgala

Christie made Romney lose the election.

Otherwise, Romney was ahead by 7 points in polls.
    ---------------------------------

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA – you must have been looking at the same totally wrong polls Bishop Rmoney was watching while HE LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. Just a thought

GOP = party of the stupid, and proud of it (not my words, Bobby Jindal coined this phrase)

June 21, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. Name Uche Agonsi

Romney choosed to campaign to win the presidency, but Obama ignored the campaign to care for the flood victims, what a contrasting choice between two fighters for the Presidency. The American people made their choice based on the choices of the two candidates......... Now Christie has choosen to work harmoniously with a Demo dominated legislature, & the Repub Congressmen chose to antagonise the Obama Administration, while Christie is being rewarded with progress at his state & gaining in popularity, the Repubs at the Congress are at an all time low in popularity, & are loathed by Americans........ What an irony.

June 21, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Just a thought

We need a worthy opposing party to the Democrats. The GOP/Tea Tards are useless. In a battle of ideas and intellect they are coming in unarmed every single time.

June 21, 2013 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Chris Christie is my Governor. I don't agree with him on too many issues, but he really did what was needed for our state during and after Sandy. He acted like a leader and was a gentleman to The President. Other GOP governors like Scott Walker are sycophants who will never succeed in national politics. Chris Christie has a chance to be elected president, but only if he steers clear of the right wing insanity.

June 21, 2013 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. Just a thought

We have every indication the GOP / Tea Tards ideology is about as useful ....well, absolutely nothing...as they have no foreign, domestic, or military accomplishments. So why would we listen to them?

June 21, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"@Dominican,
    So now it's okay to make fun of Christie for his weight? Wow. I guess as a liberal you can make fun of someone's physical chararcteristics of whomever you want if they are a republican. It's amazing to me. It's not nice. It's insensitive to millions of people who have weight problems, it's politically incorrect and it makes you a complete hypocrit.

And you are not alone. Most of the liberals on these comments sections do exactly as you do and don't see how hypocritical it is."

Yawn. "we're the GOP, and we're the REAL victims here." What a boring stock Plan-B answer to everything you guys have.

June 21, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. NameTodd A

Go back to your country Indonesia, Mohammed Hussein Obama

June 21, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. Just a thought

tom l.

@Dominican,

----------
    So I guess you've been as offended as we were about the names the GOP/Tea Tards were calling President Obama for the last 5.5 yrs.? eh?? You weren't ? Really? I'm not surpised? Hypocrit much there tom?

June 21, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Former GOP

.......Romney was a LOSER.......and Christie saw it coming.....................

June 21, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |