Gomez: If I lose Tuesday, 'I shall return'
June 23rd, 2013
10 months ago

Gomez: If I lose Tuesday, 'I shall return'

(CNN) – Massachusetts U.S. Senate candidate Gabriel Gomez says he's not discouraged by polls that show him trailing his rival. And the Republican businessman and former Navy SEAL said Sunday an Election Day loss wouldn’t mean an end to his political career.

“I'm confident I'm going to win. But as a famous general once said in World War II, I shall return. And I know that a lot of people are very excited about our candidacy,” Gomez said on “Fox News Sunday.” Voters in Massachusetts will select a new U.S. senator Tuesday to serve out the term started by John Kerry, who left the Senate earlier this year to become secretary of state. If Gomez loses, he could run again for the seat in 2014.

The Republican is pitted against longtime Democratic Rep. Edward Markey in the special election. The contest has been marked by negative campaigning from both sides: Markey has accused Gomez of being a pawn for national Republicans, while Gomez says Markey’s long tenure in Washington makes him a poor advocate for Bay Staters.

“Congressman Markey has probably done the most misleading, egregious campaign, trying to paint somebody that I'm not, and he's trying to scare people,” Gomez said Sunday. “I think he's scared and he doesn't want to talk about his record. And in the end, people are going to come to the polls, because they're more enthusiastic voting for me as opposed to voting against somebody else.”

Surveys in Massachusetts have consistently put Markey in the lead, though the margins have varied. On Saturday, Vice President Joe Biden campaigned for the 20-term lawmaker in South Boston, becoming the latest high-profile Democrat to hit the state. President Barack Obama and the first lady have both stumped for Markey in the past several weeks.

Republicans are hoping for a repeat of 2010’s special Senate election in Massachusetts, which saw Scott Brown pull an upset win over Democratic state Attorney General Martha Coakley, becoming the first Republican in decades to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate. Brown lost his re-election bid last year to consumer advocate and Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren

Speaking Sunday, Gomez said he was a moderate Republican who shared many of Obama’s legislative objectives, including passing comprehensive immigration reform and battling climate change.

“I look forward to working with President Obama, I look forward to working with Sen. Warren, I look forward to working with all the senators and congressmen down in D.C.,” Gomez said. “I have been bipartisan my whole life. That's the problem we have in D.C. right now. We have such a high level of cynicism, fiscal mismanagement and hyperpartisanship.”

Filed under: Massachusetts • Senate
  1. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Uhhh ... return as what? You will have lost the election. You represent a political party that is losing relevance. Frankly, if you return ... you'll return as another irrelevant GOP troll. Good luck under your bridge!

June 23, 2013 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. CB FL

He meant to say when I lose Tuesday.

June 23, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. Megan

Politicians will say anything to get elected.

June 23, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. william

I was born in Colombia n I would not vote for this man Gomez. He has the same policies that has killed the GOP. Nothing new in Colombia he would be a "Godo".

June 23, 2013 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  5. Italmn

Just what we need.....................another psychopath in there. !!!

June 23, 2013 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. just me

Moderate republican? Sorry, that animal is extinct.

June 23, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

Every time you put another GOP moron in you your voting to wast yor tax Dallas and get nothing done because of the incompetence of the GOP and their obstruction. Vote these GOP losers out in 201mid terms!!!

June 23, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. Michael Benjamin

The masses were lead to believe the general just exited his landing craft and walked on to the beach. MacArthur's return to the Philippines was a highly staged event which took the better part of a day to shoot. Gomez's confidence is not terribly reassuring. Why would anyone think someone with his credentials would be in a position to win in such a blue state. The Brown win was an aberration. Get ready for Markey, the junior senator from Mass.

June 23, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. king

folks weve wasted 3 years of nothing being done, because these repubs wants to get up in congress and waste the tax payer money, by not doing anything so that this president can look bad. our country is falling apart in front of our eye for crying out loud, and the more we send these repubs obstructionist into power, the worst the situation gets, and more money will be needed to fix it.

June 23, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. Loretta

The fighting for power to control allowed snowden to catch the super egos to allow severe damage to our national security. Distract and send them right up thd middle.

June 23, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. DJ in the orange curtain

Ed is the man. One of the smartest people we have in Congress. I hope he not only wins the election but runs for Pres in 2016. Not sure where they found this Gomez guy, sounds like another puppet stooge the GOP selected to do nothing and waste time.

June 23, 2013 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. Brian Radke

Wow, 8 posts of absolute nothing...no facts or figures, only a bunch of whiners without substance as to why Gomez is a bad choice. Name calling, jibes, and supposedly witty remarks don't lend very well to a well based argument.

June 23, 2013 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  13. Namevjones

Im glad he will lose what gets me the tea party people always blame gov and I live in a red state and trust me have of them used gov money u should see on the first of the month and when a diaster happens it gov that helps lose yr job short on food here comes the stamp got hurt on the job disability maybe congress should not get paid until they start working oh I forgot do they work for only thereselves and ted cruz my goodness does he hate. that I look at congress like a soap opera they r old and restless in another world they r crazy admit to general hosp with one life to live heading to the guiding light and let us search for a new tmr

June 23, 2013 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  14. Rick McDaniel

Let's hope the voters get some sense, and vote for him NOW!

June 23, 2013 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. Raadgast

The only republicans that work with Obama are not allowed to even run for office, the moment he said that he would share any ideology with Obama basically doomed his election from his own party alone, not to mention we all know that its not true once he would have been in office, I mean we expect politicians to lie, but a republican that works with Obama doesn't exist, and I hope the 2014s bring a change to the house as a result because this gridlock is borderline criminal.

June 23, 2013 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  16. teaparty days are numbered

just say he does come back after defeat he knows that by some miracle he gets a congressional job he is set for life a few kickbacks from lobbyist and boom he's an instant millionaire, so if at first you don't screw the American taxpayers, try try again

June 23, 2013 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  17. Jinx9to88

Gomez says he would look forward to working with Obama until he gets elected and the Tea Party Caucus gets a hold of him.

June 23, 2013 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. Lady Diane

I thought I would try to represent the adults, in this conversation. If I am reading your comments correctly if I am an independent thinker or a republican I have been written off!! The founding fathers would be a little surprized at that, last time I looked the constitution was still the law of the land so you can have the right to make comments only an imbecile would put down on paper!!! Also Lincoln freed the slaves!!, he wanted free speech for EVERYONE including republicans and independents, a one party america is ei ther tyranny or communism, pick your poison!!!

June 23, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  19. Getoverit

@Megan
    Politicians will say anything to get elected.
    -----
    See "Barack Obama".

June 24, 2013 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  20. Getoverit

@Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America. (LOL!)

-----–
    Harry Peloosi and Nancy Reid. Need I say more? Oh, by the way, Spell check is a wonderful tool for the illiterate.

June 24, 2013 01:37 am at 1:37 am |