June 26th, 2013
10 months ago

Supreme Court strikes down controversial DOMA provision

Washington (CNN) - The Supreme Court has struck down a key provision of the federal Defense of Marriage Act, ruling that same-sex spouses legally married in a state may receive federal benefits.

The case examines whether the federal government can deny tax, health and pension benefits to same-sex couples in states where they can legally marry. At issue is whether DOMA violates equal protection guarantees in the Fifth Amendment's due process clause as applied to same-sex couples legally married under the laws of their states.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Same-sex marriage
  1. Sniffit

LOL. Of course...anything to avoid an equal protection based ruling...anything. Bigots abound.

June 26, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. smith

Give the same rights as the rest of us and lets be done with this. This crap is getting old quick.

June 26, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. Al-NY,NY

they got this one right. I wonder who the deciding vote belonged to. It will surely get the tightie righties' all riled up. Let the bible thumping begin......

June 26, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. rs

While this is an entirely correct ruling, and one that anyone interested in legal or civil rights supports, it does not undo the idiocy of the Roberts Court with yesterday's decision giving the Republicans the green light to pass discriminatory voting laws. The Court, much like the GOP that changed its makeup under Bush is niether consistent nor logical.

June 26, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  5. Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.

June 26, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. Data Driven

Well, gee, glad we're not denying Americans their Constitutional rights today, but after yesterday's horrible ruling, don't expect me to be effusive in praise to the Court for doing the obviously right thing.

June 26, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. rs

Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.
    ___________________________
    And you are too inarticulate, and ill-informed to even say why you hold that opinion- and have it make any sense at all.

June 26, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Sniffit

June 26, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Peoples State of Illinois

rs

Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.
    ___________________________
    -----
    And from your posts, you are just a racist obama worshipper, not worth my time.

June 26, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  10. Sniffit

More surreal intellectual dishonesty from Scalia. Today he's crying about "“we have no power under the Constitution to invalidate this democratically adopted legislation," while yesterday he was gung-ho about replacing Congress's Voting Rights Act determinations with his own, despite Congress having based its 390-33 and 98-0 votes on extensive testimony and evidence and fact-finding and over 15,000 pages of congressional record. Scalia is the most activist judge in the country...and a horrible human being.

June 26, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Jacob II

How can country that say that we are one nation under God, turn against God who said a man should not mix his body parts with a man. It is abomination. (Lev. 18:22) And Jesus said God made them male and female so a man should take a woman as his wife and only a man and woman should join bodies. (Mark 10:6&7) This is God's law. Now judges are saying they are greater than God and the Lord Jesus Christ. They will find out how wrong they are.

June 26, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. Sniffit

Time to take out the Scalia translator:

"Voting rights for brown people? Are you kidding me? I don['t care that Congress voted 390-33 and 98-0 based on extensive testimony, evidence and over 15,000 pages of congressional record...my judgment should replace the judgment of Congress, and luckily I have 4 other bigots on the SCOTUS bench who agree that we know better than Congress!"

"Marriage rights for gay people? Are you kidding me? SCOTUS should insert its own judgment into the mix and overturn this proposition...groups of people I don't like should totally have their fundamental, inalienable human and civil rights put up for votes!"

The only things consistent about Scalia are his intellectual dishonesty and his bigotry.

June 26, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. Sniffit

Time to take out the Scalia translator (fixed a typo):

"Marriage rights for gay people? Are you kidding me? SCOTUS should NOT insert its own judgment into the mix and overturn this proposition...groups of people I don't like should totally have their fundamental, inalienable human and civil rights put up for votes!"

June 26, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. Bessy

This is good ! About time ! I'm glad they did the right thing today after being so blatantly wrong yesterday.
    I guess it is time for the bigots and " Bible Thumpers " to start with all of their crap.

June 26, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Congratulations to the gay community in California!!
    Dancing in the streets!!!!!

June 26, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Data Driven
    I second your sentiments.
    Leaving matters in the hands of congress is like telling us to go hell.
    We're screwed, but I am happy for my gay brothers and sisters.

June 26, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. Jacob II

If judges are greater than God and the Lord Jesus Christ, then they should be able to change Gods law. God said these are ungodly people and they go after ungodly lust. This is not a civil right. Are rapist and murderers going to be granted rights to do wrong because they want to do wrong also. God does not love them as He said I will not justify the wicked.(Exodus 23:7) God said He destroyed Sodom and Go-mor'rha as an example for those who would live ungodly. When God destroys this earth. Will these judges be able to stop Him. Don't think so.

June 26, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  18. Dr. Greg

rs, The best you can do to refute someone's opinion is personally attack them? From someone who I guarantee is more articulate and informed than you.

June 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  19. Al-NY,NY

Jacob.....re: your comments........YAWN.

June 26, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. Sniffit

"Are rapist and murderers going to be granted rights to do wrong because they want to do wrong also."

Next question.

Grow up.

June 26, 2013 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  21. rs

Peoples State of Illinois

rs

Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.
    ___________________________
    -–
    And from your posts, you are just a racist obama worshipper, not worth my time.
    _____________________
    And thanks for making my point for me.

June 26, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. rs

How can country that say that we are one nation under God,
    ____________________________
    We are not a Theocracy (like, say Iran). Our rights are found through the government, not the Church (whichever one that may be). Remember- Republicans added "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950s, it was not there before.

June 26, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. Rudy NYC

Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.
    ------------------
    Too bad the right wing does not realize that DOMA tosses states rights out the window. DOMA is everything that they claim to dislike about "big government", everything.

June 26, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. Peoples State of Illinois

rs

Peoples State of Illinois

rs

Peoples State of Illinois

The decline/destruction of America continues apace.
    ___________________________
    -–
    And from your posts, you are just a racist obama worshipper, not worth my time.
    _____________________
    And thanks for making my point for me.
    -------
    You and others on here, have no point, other than a racist one. When I want comments from you, I'll pull your chain.

June 26, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  25. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

SCOTUS made the obvious right ruling today. However, that judicial activism yesterday was a blatant smack in the face to those who died for civil rights and the right to vote. Let it be known SCOTUS & U.S. Congress that my generation, Generation X, we are not our parents nor our grandparents. We will NOT tolerate injustice, inequality or have our rights stripped away from us. So my advice to you is to fix it and fix it now! If you thought the Arab Spring was out of control, you haven't seen nothing yet.

June 26, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |