Initial reaction on ruling from Obama: 'Historic step forward'
June 26th, 2013
10 months ago

Initial reaction on ruling from Obama: 'Historic step forward'

(CNN) - President Barack Obama's Twitter account offered an initial reaction to Wednesday's ruling deeming a key provision of the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional.

His communications director previewed further reaction later today.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Russ

Thank GOD morality finally won.

June 26, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Historic step forward for the LGBT community. Gigantic step backwards in regards to the VRA of 1965.

June 26, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Congratulations to the gay community in California!

June 26, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Jerry

Stupid panderer! "Historic step", BACKWARDS!!!

June 26, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. wild man

all the government abuse and corruption and our president is weighing in on non topics. it's not 1920 everyone already has equal rights, no one is driving around harassing gays or lynching people. but the sad truth is our government doesn't want to legallize gay mariage because once couples got married they would be taxed as a couple and the government would lose tax dollars. we need to focus our efforts and money else where there are way more important issues at hand like the systematic stripping of our rights. they are trying to give us a give us a snack and take our meal

June 26, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  6. organically

If you disapprove of same sex marriage, please explain how allowing gay and lesbians to wed will have a specific negative impact on you personally. It won't! If it makes them happy and gives them quality of life and certain rights in things like taxes and Wills, then why not allow it? A hundred years ago the battle was for womens rights, fifty years ago it was people of color, and today it is homosexual rights. In
    the end, civil rights always wins over prejudice.

June 26, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  7. Muhammad

I seek refuge in Allah in order to be saved from the accursed devil. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. Oh Allah I seek refuge in you from the mischief of the Anti-Christ (Dajjal).

There were homosexual in a former time who celebrated in these acts against God then natural reproduction: that was Sodom and Gomorrah. –Look at where that society is now

This is the end of America as we know it, and I don't feel fine. In the next election I am voting total Republican. –Democrats must be voted out of the White House, Congress, Senate in order to save America from the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah.

June 26, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  8. Peoples State of Illinois

No wonder this couintry is in such moral decline.

June 26, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Dr. Greg

Please tell me what same sex marriage has to do with "morality"?

June 26, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  10. Al-NY,NY

well put Mr President. The haters can go......

June 26, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. Marla

Good news!
    I’m so very happy for my LGBT friends!
    California has been improving since they kicked the GOTP to the curb.
    Now I hope to see a great economy build up from beautiful wedding by the ocean for the LGBT crowd, as well as the hetero crowd.
    I love California, I love the coastline there, and I’m so happy for my favorite state!

I hope that with DOMA gone, we will soon see some federal benefits for gay spouses, both in the military and in civilian life.

June 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  12. Silvia

Get ready for higher medical insurance premiums, taxes etc. and the icing on the cake "God's wrath" on USA. GOD SAVE AMERICA from leaders who lead the country astray.

June 26, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. Chris

Um, no. Taxes prevailed. Personally, I'm happy for everyone who has equal rights. But make no mistake about it. This is a tax issue. Now, incomes are combined. Yes, same sex couples get the marriage credit. But, combined incomes are used to calculate the taxes owed through obamacare. (Most people don't know that because they never bothered to read the plan).

June 26, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. Philo99

Mr. Obama, don't think we will ever forget where you stood on this issue 4 small years ago.

Just because some polls got you to change your stance on the issue, we still know where you heart is.

June 26, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. Name

We need a new president. One that listends to the people. Not what he wants.

June 26, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. megan

The US has redefined the term marriage with this decision. Organized religion needs to get over it and accept marriage as a right in this country. Organized religion, however, is fully within their rights to respond by indicating that given the change by the State in the meaning of the term "marriage" that they no longer provide or recognize marriage within their religion and that on a go forward basis that they will refer to a union between a man and a woman as holy matrimony. Same sex couple will hopefully accept their right to do so and we can move on from this whole issue.

June 26, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  17. Jack- NYC

thank you for your Tweet Obama. I mean, no thanks for always saying one thing and doing another, and never giving support until an election year once you saw the polls swing, but hey. Nice tweet.

June 26, 2013 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  18. Worship Warrior

Marriage Equality? I don't think so. This is the destruction of marriage as we've known it.

I certainly have no hatred in my heart towards anybody. And I am not a faithfully committed Republican or Democrat. I vote for what a person stands for – not for the party. But why couldn't we just extend marital privileges to civil unions without trying to redefine marriage? I don't understand how/why a 3-5% minority of the population is so bent on changing several thousands of years of family traditions and values that have already been established. Just extend the rights and give civil unions the same set of privileges that marriages have. End of story. Everyone is happy. This is not good for a society to succumb to the demands of an alternate lifestyle population. The very word "alternate" tells us this is not the established norm. Whatever happened to the laws of nature, absolutes, values, and standards? What if gravity decides someday it wants to provide an "alternate" function to our planet?

June 26, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. Alex

Let me temper my response to the supreme court ruling today. I celebrate the equality of my friends who are homosexual. I also challenge it on my simple moral standings. I would now ask my gay friends to also temper their fervor and please respect my rights as someone who has no problem with them as people or their decisions but please reign in the attempted immersion of your beliefs into mine. We must agree to disagree. Thank you my friends.

June 26, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

What a disgrace. Another mistake by the Supreme Court. This is a sad day for morality. Marriage is not marriage anymore.

June 26, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  21. Ken in MO

Regardless of how you feel about this ruling, we cannot be a country that discrimminates based on a persons god given feelings. Gay people do no harm to anyone and deserve to be treated with the same respect and dignity as everyone else. If it is wrong in the eyes of God...then they will answer to God....not to man. The bible says that many things are wrong and we do them anyway. Heck, the pope even says capital punishment is wrong but yet many catholics endorse it. God had sent us many signs that the climate is changing and we choose to ignore that too. Those who claim to be Christian, of which I am one, have to do what is right and let God pass the judgement...not them.

June 26, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  22. guest

Sad Day. Dishonoring God's word (the God of Abraham) is becoming the norm in America these days....led by this administration. Though he will deny it and claim to be a man of faith, President Obama and his progressive following will forever get the credit for declaring America's independence from God. Like it has for all past societies that reject him, Hard times will ensue. The problem is that the innocent will suffer as well.

June 26, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Rationalintn

Yippee, I guess it's a great day to be gay, but a bad day to be black, thanks to the SCOTUS.

June 26, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

In the words of Optimus Prime: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

June 26, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Peoples State of Illinois

For all the class warfare rhetoric spewed by Barack Hussein Obama and his NeoCom cadres, he and his co-conspirator, Michelle LaVaughn, live like royalty.

June 26, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |