Obama's full statement on same-sex marriage ruling
June 26th, 2013
10 months ago

Obama's full statement on same-sex marriage ruling

(CNN) - Responding to Wednesday's Supreme Court ruling giving historic wins to same sex marriage supporters, President Barack Obama released the following statement:

"I applaud the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act. This was discrimination enshrined in law. It treated loving, committed gay and lesbian couples as a separate and lesser class of people. The Supreme Court has righted that wrong, and our country is better off for it. We are a people who declared that we are all created equal – and the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.

This ruling is a victory for couples who have long fought for equal treatment under the law; for children whose parents’ marriages will now be recognized, rightly, as legitimate; for families that, at long last, will get the respect and protection they deserve; and for friends and supporters who have wanted nothing more than to see their loved ones treated fairly and have worked hard to persuade their nation to change for the better.

So we welcome today’s decision, and I’ve directed the Attorney General to work with other members of my Cabinet to review all relevant federal statutes to ensure this decision, including its implications for Federal benefits and obligations, is implemented swiftly and smoothly.

On an issue as sensitive as this, knowing that Americans hold a wide range of views based on deeply held beliefs, maintaining our nation’s commitment to religious freedom is also vital. How religious institutions define and consecrate marriage has always been up to those institutions. Nothing about this decision – which applies only to civil marriages – changes that.

The laws of our land are catching up to the fundamental truth that millions of Americans hold in our hearts: when all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Name Uche Agonsi

'FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH' ?..........Like Western Democracy, I sincerely hope that this practice is not for EXPORT to Africa.

June 26, 2013 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-Me

@The Real Tom Paine
    that is no different then any other person remarrying when their spouse died!!! I am not sure where you get most of the information that you presented but it is pretty much all false!!! As I stated before I was a member for 16 years and nothing you said is true. You are probably reading opinion in your research and not true facts!!! The Mormons were DRIVEN out of nauvoo IL, they were seaching somewhere that would not persecute them, NOT trying to create a "seperate Mormon nation called " Deseret"", your ignorance of facts shows!!! Unless you were part of the religion and learned all the FACTS about them you probably shouldn't try and pass your OPINIONS off as facts!!! I do not agree with the religion, hence why I am not a member but I will not bash them with a bunch of false statements like you have!
    ************
    You lived in a culture that restricted access to Church archives to only those with temple recommends, so how can you be certain that anything you were told was the truth? I did my research by interviewing both current and former members while in grad school, and I grew up in Western NY in a little town called Palmyra, maybe you have heard of it? Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith Farm all within a quick bike ride from my parents' home. I spent years researching the Church, while you just went inactive from the sounds of it. Check out my claims if you don't believe me. As far as the " Deseret" claim, that is a fact: any decent biography of Brigham Young that was not edited by Hugh Nibley will tell you exactlty what I told you, or do you prefer to swallow the propaganda from FARMS?

June 26, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. California

Liberal hypocrisy is laughable.

Liberals hate polygamists and their bigotry is noted.

June 26, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. Jeb Bush

Dear Hate-filled Christian Bigots,

As a nation, we are moving forward into the 21st century with or without you.

June 26, 2013 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Joshua

..." ~President "I don't support gay marriage during elections" Obama.

June 26, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. Bob

All gay life functions need to cease.

June 26, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. helena Handbasket

Big ups Mr. President. Brush the haters off your shoulders like the insignificant debris they are. You continue to inspire.

June 26, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

freedom

He has flip-flopped on this issue for years. The only reason he went for it was for more democrat votes. He could care less about gay people and their rights.
    -------------------–
    LOL. And he landed right side up in the Oval Office. LOL.

I am awed by how the right wing is promoting DOMA's big government oversight, and blatant trampling of states' rights.

June 26, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. brandon

Well its ironic that that statement was in itself, totally gay

June 26, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. AMBC

How can anyone take Obama seriously on this issue? Personally, I'm all for gay marriage...whatever. But Obama did a 180 for this after a lifetime of being against it, right during the heat of the re-election season. His complete BS on this issue is really the most transparent thing about his whole tenure. Now he's grandstanding to get his pound of flesh and approval bump in the midst of these disastrous last 3 months.

June 26, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |