June 28th, 2013
10 months ago

Carter: Paula Deen should be forgiven

(CNN) – Former President Jimmy Carter said embattled celebrity chef Paula Deen should be forgiven, arguing that while there's no condoning the racial slurs she uttered, the well-known personality has been candid and apologetic.

"She was maybe excessively honest in saying that she had in the past, 30 years ago, used this terrible word," Carter told CNN's Suzanne Malveaux in an interview Friday. "I think she has been punished, perhaps overly severely, for her honesty in admitting it and for the use of the word in the distant past. She's apologized profusely."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Rudy NYC

Reaction has been quick and severe. The reaction isn't due to decades old remarks. The reaction is due to more recent actions associated with the lawsuit that her brother is facing.....that and the unusual wedding fantasy she had.

June 28, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. jsmoulder

Dang, Cater is yet going to prove he was a better president than the one we have now.

June 28, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Dan

Paula Deen is just the latest scapegoat of a bunch of Racist people for using the "N" word. By pointing fingers at someone else, they think it draws attention away from them. God will have his way in the end, people. No matter who YOU think YOU are.

June 28, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. Peace

I beg those who were offended, please, please forgive this woman. We are all human beings and we all make mistakes. Watching her in different news outlets, the woman has cried, has begged for forgiveness. She has shown sincerity and please consider her cry and let what had happened be forgotten.

June 28, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. sonny chapman

He is truly a Man of the South. He also tries to lead the life Jesus set forth in the Lord's Payer to the Father: "Forgive our sins AS we forgive those who sin against us".

June 28, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Steveo

I agree with President Carter. If we don't fire rappers, comedians and actors............................!

June 28, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Al-NY,NY

Maybe if she recanted her lame excuses for the use of the word and the other instances of racial behavior. Just because she was raised that way doesn't mean she has to stay that way.

June 28, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Sure, I can forgive her. She's your typical oblivious southern imbecile who doesn't even seem to possess the self-awareness and awareness of what's going on around her to realize that what she's doing or saying is disgustingly racist. But that doesn't mean I won't change the channel if her show comes on or that I would buy any of her cookbooks or her idiotic memoire.

June 28, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  9. Huh?

Any American who says that they have never used the "N" word is probably lying.

June 28, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  10. Zerubbabel

God forgives me everyday, who am I not to forgive my neighbor, and this is coming from a black man. Words can hurt only if one connotes a hurtful definition to them. Notwithstanding her use of the word in the context that she used it was just plain ignorant as well as her wedding vision. I feel more sad for her ignorance than anger for her racial slur.

June 28, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Sandy

Why forgive her? I would if it was only about her saying the N word 30 years ago, but it's not. Some media are purposefully not telling the whole story. Ms. Deen was fantasizing about a "plantation" style wedding with black men dressed up as slaves serving the food. That imo is more damaging than her using the N word. Shows what she thinks of black men.

June 28, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Steveo

@Sniffit

------------–
    Glad you feel that way, now go tell 'lil Wayne, Lil Jon and all the othert 'Lils"

June 28, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. Woman In California

Let me be completely honest here: in the past, whenever I decided to watch the Food Network and saw PD, I immediately switched channels because there was always something about her, I never liked. When I heard what she said, I was not surprised. Having said that – I am also distrubed by black people, who insult each other (on a daily basis) by using the n-word or discriminating on their fellow brother or sister by using terms such as "too dark" or "too black". I have some members in my family who have been truly hurt by this language. Was she wrong? Yes, and there is no excuse for her poor behavior but before some blacks condemn her, please ask yourselves this question: are you guilty of the same thing? If you are, forgive her and move on. I speak as a black woman.

June 28, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. Fair is Fair

sonny chapman

-------
    Glad you capitalized the word AS... it can have 2 distinct meanings. The first AS meaning at "the same time", the second meaning "in the same manner". The second, of course, is more difficult, but probably what Jesus was trying to convey.

June 28, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Huh?

The word "racist" is the new catchall slur that the left has invented in order to suppress white people. It is very loosely defined and can be molded to attack any person who they perceive as part of the old white establishment. It does not apply to African-Americans as they are regarded by the liberals of being incapable of practicing bigotry.

June 28, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Paula Deen's biggest problem is that one cannot help but notice that if not for one notable exception, she's never had a minority guest on her show. The lone exception, Albert Pujols.

June 28, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

Paula Deen is not someone I have ever watched to begin with, so I'll let her decide whether she personally feels she needs my forgiveness, or not.

June 28, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Has she asked to be forgiven? Did she mean her apology? Then forgive her.
    She is as clueless as the day is long.
    Let your heart breathe freely and unencumbered with this one.
    Forgive her, and pity her.

June 28, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. Steveo

@cedar rapids

'Steveo – Somehow I believe most abortions after 20 weeks are for convenience.'

Well unless you can provide stats that just sits in the realm of opinion, and carries little weight on the matter.
    -----------------------
    Seriously? NO ONE, to include me, you, Rudy or Mallory Archer provided any stats! But you only ask me for stats. Nice!

June 28, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. Steveo

@Rudy NYC

------------
    Where do you get you MISinformation? The Neely family, amongst others were on her show.
    How do I know? Bing and Google!

June 28, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Mary Ann

Sandy is right there is a lot more to this story then what happen 30 years ago.She is like many people here in the south coming from a poor white family and being a racist all of her life.I would like not seeing her all over the media with that phony accent trying to sell all her crap.I think the public has got to see what the real Paula Deen is like.

June 28, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |