Pelosi urges Clinton to run in 2016
June 28th, 2013
10 months ago

Pelosi urges Clinton to run in 2016

(CNN) – The top Democrat in the House is urging Hillary Clinton to run for office, and says their party is already coalescing around the potential 2016 candidate.

In an interview Thursday with USA Today, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said “there’s a great deal of excitement” about a potential Clinton candidacy, adding that she personally hopes Clinton enters the race.

Touting the former senator and secretary of state’s long list of credentials, Pelosi said she believes Clinton “would be the best prepared person to enter the White House in decades.”

Pelosi made similar comments in May, speaking at a panel discussion in Little Rock, Arkansas. In 2008, Pelosi - who was then speaker of the House - remained officially neutral in that year's Democratic primary between Clinton and then-Sen. Barack Obama.

Clinton has not announced whether she will launch another presidential bid, which has been the subject of intense speculation, since she stepped down as Secretary of State earlier this year.

Pelosi’s comments came on the same day a group of Democratic donors met with top Clinton allies in New York to discuss funding an independent political action committee that is urging Clinton to run.

The Ready for Hillary PAC was established by Clinton supporters in January – before she had officially left her State Department post – and has since worked to beef up its fundraising infrastructure, garnering the attention of high-profile Clinton allies and donors in the process.

Last week, Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill became the first member of Congress to throw her support behind the PAC and a Clinton run. But New York Senator Kristen Gillibrand followed up soon after, announcing that she was “personally urging Secretary Clinton to run.” Gillibrand filled Clinton’s Senate seat, when she became Secretary of State in 2009.

While Pelosi stopped short of formally endorsing Clinton, saying the timing was inappropriate, she nevertheless said she would be ready to do so in the future.

“I don’t know why she wouldn’t run,” Pelosi told USA Today.  “She’s prepared, she’s well known, she’s highly respected. She knows she would be able to do the job so very, very well.”

–CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Loathstheright

America needs to rid itself from Republicans in office, they are a bane on the country.

June 28, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. Ccampa

Hllary would win. I love that the GOP and thier followeres are so affraid of her and they should be. I believe a HIllary win would wipe out the chauvinistic, racist, narrow-minded republicans, to whom I apply the 80-20 rule, which becomes 80% ot them. They will die of heart attack!
    Hillary 2016!

June 28, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. what

Clinton for president, Pelosi for vice president. I would vote for that ticket.
    Clinton will win in 2016. All you conservatives know it and are in denial.

June 28, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. jwells_pt

Pelosi was elected by one district, not the whole country. Her urging will cost Hilary support not help her.

June 28, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. McLovin

Pelosi? Just the person I want to endorse me.....

June 28, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Guest

Hillary has too much baggage, especially from her inaction over the Benghazi Massacre.

June 28, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. BigdaddyUSA

Pelosi says "let's elect Clinton then we can find out what she stands for".

June 28, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. Jose

Pelosi represents everything that's wrong with the Democratic Party.
    Whichever party embraces maximum individual liberty, holds the key to the future.

For the record, this is how I voted in 2012:
    President – L – Gary Johnson.
    House – D – Zoe Lofgren
    Senate – R – Elizabeth Emken

June 28, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  9. Jose

@IvotedforObama – "nuts like Paul" ????

If Ron Paul had been the nominee, he would've had a much better chance against Obama.

June 28, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. Walter

I'll make a deal with you Nanny. I'll vote for Hillary in 2016 if you don't run in 2016.

June 28, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. JC1255

I can hear Hillary now....Nancy, please stop helping me!!!!!!!!!

June 28, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  12. gajb

Do we really need another Clinton in the White House? Bill was a womanizer when in office and Hillary wasn't honest in her responses re: Bengazi. We can do better than having her as our nation's leader.

June 28, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  13. Brian

I would vote against anybody who Pelosi endorses or wants to run

June 28, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. DC Johnny

"Best prepared" for the White House?

I don't know about you ladies out there, but I think it's pretty admirable that she stood by her husband, one affair after the next, and even with an accusation of assault sprinkled in there, purely to maintain the power stance of the family. Very admirable, indeed.

Here we are, with the GOP supposedly "at war" with women, and here is a woman that has essentially set women back decades with her "look the other way" policy.

She'd fit right in there.

June 28, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. drc

it's great to hear the looney left try to explain what is so fascinating about a woman that says "you have to pass the bill to know what's in it".... Yes...her endorsement means a lot to a woman that lied and continues to lie about Benghazi. The left doesn't care though and keep in mind I voted for Clinton....Never for Bush and certainly not for the current train wreck in office.

We call it voting independently versus voting along party lines...try it sometime

June 28, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. James

2 people this world could do with out Hilary & Nancy & no one would even notice except the extreme libs !

June 28, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Ken

As an Independent, I am saddened by the hatred of Republicans in these posts.
    Since the beginning of our Republic there have been debates
    over the role of the federal government. Too much government is totalitarian socialism,
    too little results in anarchy. A healthy debate must continue. What we need is more respect
    from both sides. Neither side is evil, this demonizing is what's hurting the country.

June 28, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Jacob Ransone

Hillary for POTUS, Sherrod Browne for VP, Tom Dean as Secretary of State, Nancy Pelosi as Commerce Secretary, Barbara Boxer as Secretary of un-Defense....bring back Tim Geitner as Fed chief to print more money.....paul Krugman as White House Spokesman....perfect team

World will be perfect for CNN, New York Times, HuffPost..and MSNBC.....please let it be so!

June 28, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. bdby

“Pelosi urges Clinton to run in 2016”

Pelosi is delusional; most Americans will never forget the Benghazi Massacre that Clinton could have prevented.

June 28, 2013 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. Ruffles

It also depends on who the GOP would put forth as a canidate, with all respect for Mrs Clinton im not sure if she the best choice. Between the Begazi incidents and the fact that this nation is not supposed to have a "Ruling Class". I was not thrilled to see the country go from Father to Son (Bush). I dont want to see what happens when if it goes from Husband to Wife. I have no doubt she has much to contribute but I am still skeptical.

June 28, 2013 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  21. David

Don't get me wrong Nancy, but have you forgotten that Obama tossed Hillary to the wolves, and some of those wolves are going to be Democrats running against her for the nomination. Lets face it, even if she gets lucky and wins the nomination by chance, she will have to deal now with the GOP wolves! Better to run someone else...

June 28, 2013 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  22. Sara

If Hilary runs, she will lose. Like Mitt Romney, she had her chance. Let It Go! And, if anyone asks, this is coming from a liberal Democrat woman. There is just not enough support for her within the Democratic Party itself. Personally, I'd rather see a wild card like Elizabeth Warren go for the nomination. She has the credentials to back up a bid and, most importantly, the youth support.

June 28, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. BlueDem1

I agree with all of Jacob Ransone's proposed appointments except for one...Nancy Pelosi would do best resuming her previous role as House Speaker.

June 28, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. Peoples State of Illinois

America needs to rid itself from democrats in office, they are a bane on the country.

June 28, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  25. RIck Springfield

Please, Nancy run yourself, I will vote for you, I promise. Run Michele Obama, run Bill Clinton, please, for the love of god and all of humanity don't run the QUEEN of MEAN. Please run Whoopi Goldberg, I absolutely promise I will vote for her. Run that girl who was on the witness stand for Martin, I will sell all my possessions and donate to her candidacy. Pick a Kennedy, any Kennedy, I promise to vote for him/her/it/garden slug/ bacteria, etc. I will vote for Blowgoatavitch, Alec Baldwin, George Clooney, or whomever the DP wants but not the Butcher of Mena. I guarantee you I can gather a million people to take up arms and storm D.C. if she is elected.

June 28, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |