July 2nd, 2013
10 months ago

Dennis Rodman, Nobel Laureate?

(CNN) – Former Chicago Bull's basketball player Dennis Rodman thinks he should be in the running for a Nobel Peace Prize following his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this year.

In Sports Illustrated's annual "Where Are They Now" issue, the hall of famer applauds Kim Jong Un for what could be called restraint on behalf of the reclusive leader. "Fact is, he hasn't bombed anywhere he's threatened to yet. Not South Korea, not Hawaii, not … whatever," Rodman said.

Rodman has become as well-known, and perhaps as infamous, off the court as he was on it. Nicknamed "the Worm," the eccentric player known for his hair and his outlandish outfits made a highly publicized trip to North Korea in February where he and Kim Jong Un bonded over a shared love of basketball. Afterward, Rodman was quoted as calling Kim Jong Un a "friend for life."

Now, Rodman thinks that fondness for the sport is what should help bridge the gap between the United States and the enigmatic nuclear power.

"All I know is Kim told me he doesn't want to go to war with America. His whole deal is to talk basketball with Obama," Rodman is quoted as saying in Sports Illustrated. "Unfortunately, Obama doesn't want to have anything to do with him. I ask, Mr. President, what's the harm in a simple phone call? This is a new age, man. Come on, Obama, reach out to Kim and be his friend."

Rodman's trip was organized for a documentary being produced by Vice for HBO television (CNN and HBO share Time Warner as a parent company).

In befriending Kim Jong Un, Rodman sees himself as a peacemaker deserving of recognition like that bestowed upon President Obama, Nelson Mandela and Mother Theresa, the Nobel Peace Prize.

"My mission is to break the ice between hostile countries," Rodman said. "Why it's been left to me to smooth things over, I don't know. Dennis Rodman, of all people. Keeping us safe is really not my job; it's the black guy's [Obama's] job. But I'll tell you this: If I don't finish in the top three for the next Nobel Peace Prize, something's seriously wrong."

Rodman has already asked Kim Jong Un to "do me a solid" and release Kenneth Bae, a Korean-American missionary who led tours into North Korea. He was sentenced to 15 years hard labor, accused of plotting to overthrow the government.

Rodman isn't done with North Korea, planning a return trip next month. "I'm just gonna chill, play some basketball and maybe go on vacation with Kim and his family," Rodman said.

Filed under: Nobel Peace Prize • North Korea • President Obama
  1. Steve, New York City

Dennis Rodman a Nobel Laureate? That's like saying that Danny Devito is an olympic high jumper.

July 2, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. PJ

Be careful, Dennis, Kim just might decide he doesn't want you to go home............ever. You might end up on a
    permanent "vacation" in North Korea.

July 2, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Sounds like Mr. Rodman has had too much tea.

July 2, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. Fair is Fair

"Former Chicago Bull's basketball player Dennis Rodman thinks he should be in the running for a Nobel Peace Prize following his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un earlier this year."
    ------–
    Dude is an idiot... but Obama got one for absolutely nothing, so why not Rodman? Oh yeah... it was the American public that won, and Obama just picked it up for us. God, if I hear that Rudyism one more time I'm going to barf.

July 2, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. Data Driven

Funniest article in months; thanks, Ticker, for putting this up. Oh man. "Do me a solid" - LOL! I'm using that, like, forever.

Give him the Prize. Not only does he put smiles on our faces, he took one for humanity by scoring with Madonna. A great, great man.

July 2, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. ja

if you gotta ask for a nobel prize, more than likely you don't deserve it, tell kim to start feeding his peopl, then you win if response is postive

July 2, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  7. just sayin

dennis rodman would make a great democrat candidate.... qualified just like obama, even has more foreign relation experience.

July 2, 2013 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Partha Mohanram

Dennis Rodman, nobel peace laureate, is not as ridiculous a thought as it sounds. After all, Kissinger and Le Duc Tho got it. Arafat and Begin got it. Obama got it for doing nothing (and being a massive disappointment as a president – wonder what the European have to say about this after news that Obama's been bugging them!). And before Obama supporters start bashing me, let me add that I voted for Obama and am a registered Democrat.

July 2, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Liberalism is a brain disease

He deserves a Nobel Prize more than Obama does. At least he DID something, unlike Obama.

July 2, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  10. Thomas

Dennis Rodman a Nobel Laureate?

What about Donald Trump ?

Both of these men should share the Nobel jointly , not only in economics , physics , humanitarian , peace , cooking , hair style , literature .

Only in America

July 2, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Rick McDaniel

Please. There is NOTHING serious about Rodman.

July 2, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. scarf

=====================================================================
    That fact alone makes Kim Jung Un more deserving of the Peace Prize than Rodman......

July 2, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. California

IRS chief: No evidence liberals scrutinized like tea party
    by TOM COHEN, CNN
    ----–
    Like we all didn't know this to begin with.

July 2, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. JonathanL

Peace prize for a publicity stunt with a greedy tyrant known for terror and oppression! Maybe his head as a tennis ball was not just a act.

July 2, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Steveo

The Nobel really needs to go to the guy who made sure the game between the Globetrotters and the NK team ended in a tie! THAT is the guy who should get it!

July 2, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

--------------------------
    ROTFLMAO. I hope the above quote doesn't make you ill. But, it's true though. Obama's Excellent Adventure, 2008.

July 2, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

Partha Mohanram

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At least President Obama didn't get it for committing mass-genocide like the other four lovelies on your list. The U.S. has been "bugging" other nations forever, so get over your feigned indignation. Oh, and the only people who believe your lie about voting for him are other liars and the haters who have been screaming for his impeachment since before he even set foot in the White House.

July 2, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |