July 2nd, 2013
09:53 AM ET
1 year ago

Obama concludes Africa trip

(CNN) – President Barack Obama concluded his trip to Africa Tuesday after making a final pitch for partnership at a Tanzanian power plant.

Some 70% of Africans lack access to reliable electricity, Obama said, and the United States can help bring more power on line.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Africa • President Obama
soundoff (39 Responses)
  1. rs

    so, then, you prefer the GOP "do-nothing" approach then, right?

    July 2, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. rs

    Sheila

    we need more nuclear power plants – here in the U.S.A. – – and get the heck off that foreign oil !! With nuclear power plants + Our Own Oil – we don't have to be submissive to those other countries !!
    ______________________________
    Well, nuclear has that one tensey problem- the waste is deadly to 40,000 years, and nothing man has ever made will last that long. It isn't a deal-ender, but certainly a concern. Remember though, nuclear powers the electric grid- cars do oil- and right now we're exporting oil, not using it here.

    July 2, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. just askin

    rs
    Sheila
    we need more nuclear power plants – here in the U.S.A. – – and get the heck off that foreign oil !! With nuclear power plants + Our Own Oil – we don't have to be submissive to those other countries !!
    ______________________________
    Well, nuclear has that one tensey problem- the waste is deadly to 40,000 years, and nothing man has ever made will last that long. It isn't a deal-ender, but certainly a concern. Remember though, nuclear powers the electric grid- cars do oil- and right now we're exporting oil, not using it here.
    -–

    so your solution is what? harness the vast untapped reservoir of cow flatulence? or maybe cover the country with chinese made windmills and solar panels? like obama, your "all of the above" solution is really a "none of the above" solution.

    July 2, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Fair is Fair

    Rudy NYC

    Fair is Fair wrote:

    The fact that there's 12 million illegal aliens in this country is a reflection of the federal government's inability to address the problem with any sense of competence. Why should we believe that they will come up with a workable solution now, given their abysmal performance to this point?
    -----–
    We shouldn't believe that a rational solution is possible because the right wing prefers the status quo, cheap labor to break the backs of unions.
    ------
    Wow. You've managed to get a huge deflection, a bait-and-switch, and a strawman all in one sentence. You've outdone yourself, Rudy. Now you could have added that the left wing wants to make citizens for 12 million future votes, but I noticed you left that out. Now why is that?

    July 2, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

    just askin wrote:

    so your solution is what? harness the vast untapped reservoir of cow flatulence? or maybe cover the country with chinese made windmills and solar panels? like obama, your "all of the above" solution is really a "none of the above" solution.
    -----------------------–
    So what is the solution a century from now when the fossil fuel supplies run out? If we don't start solving that problem now, then we will suffer all the more later.

    July 2, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

    Fair is Fair wrote:

    Wow. You've managed to get a huge deflection, a bait-and-switch, and a strawman all in one sentence. You've outdone yourself, Rudy. Now you could have added that the left wing wants to make citizens for 12 million future votes, but I noticed you left that out. Now why is that?
    -------------------------–
    It's a probably a safe bet most would vote liberal. But, they could be 12 million future votes for the right wing. In fact, just a mere ten years ago, that would have been true. Bush took the Hispanic vote in 2004, if I'm not mistaken. So, what has happened since?

    July 2, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. rs

    Just askin-
    Rather than making inane statements, Google alternative energy- or burn lump of coal- you'll feel better.

    July 2, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  8. just askin

    Rudy NYC
    just askin wrote:
    so your solution is what? harness the vast untapped reservoir of cow flatulence? or maybe cover the country with chinese made windmills and solar panels? like obama, your "all of the above" solution is really a "none of the above" solution.
    -------––
    So what is the solution a century from now when the fossil fuel supplies run out? If we don't start solving that problem now, then we will suffer all the more later.
    --

    seriously??? we must start doing illogical, useless and costly things now because in a hundred years you think there will be a problem? sorry, but i have zero confidence in your ability to see things one hundred years down the road. especially when that vision is through your wacky liberal lenses.

    July 2, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    But, they could be 12 million future votes for the right wing. In fact, just a mere ten years ago, that would have been true. Bush took the Hispanic vote in 2004, if I'm not mistaken. So, what has happened since?
    -------------------------------------------------
    Their -GOP- mask has come off.
    We don't like duplicitous, barely literate, haters with an acute case of xenophobia and fear of extinction from the power base.

    July 2, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    Those 12 million future votes I can almost guarantee will NEVER trend towards the Right wing. Oh, some might, of course, but not the bulk, for the simple fact that Latinos are like elephants. We don't forget.
    Native born Americans could take a page from our book in that regards.

    July 2, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. Dean

    The photos look like any of his U.S. campaign stops.

    July 2, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

    just askin wrote:

    seriously??? we must start doing illogical, useless and costly things now because in a hundred years you think there will be a problem? sorry, but i have zero confidence in your ability to see things one hundred years down the road. especially when that vision is through your wacky liberal lenses.
    ----------------
    Seriously. We must do something that the right wing doesn't like to do, and that's come up with an exit plan. Fossil fuels are not going to be around forever. With a rapidly growing demand from emerging economies in Asia, demand for oil will become even more acute. Did you know that over the span of a decade, between 1997 and 2007, that oil imports to China actually tripled? India is growing almost as fast. Africa will not be far behind before too long.

    We cannot rely on fossil fuels forever. We must figure out an exit plan, one that uses renewable energy sources.

    July 2, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  13. just sayin

    Rudy NYC
    So, what has happened since?
    --
    obama has stopped enforcing our immigration laws, securing our borders and stopped ice from doing their job. through executive orders granted amnesty to young illegals.

    and enough with the 'he's deported more than anybody else' and the border crossings are zero bs. he released far more than he has deported and border crossing are down because our economy is still in the tank after 5 years of obama. more jobs in mexico than here sadly. once he leaves office the economy will pick up again and the illegal invasion will restart.

    July 2, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

    Now you could have added that the left wing wants to make citizens for 12 million future votes, but I noticed you left that out. Now why is that?
    ---------–

    Treat them as human beings, Fair, and who knows how those 12 million future votes might be cast. Continue to treat them as sub par, and I can guarantee that the Grand Old Party will continue to alienate future voting blocks much in the same manner as GOPerville has done for the past 5 or so years.

    The ball is in the GOP court. We'll see where the GOP tries scoring ... or not.

    July 2, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
1 2