North Carolina joins states legislating against abortion
July 3rd, 2013
10 months ago

North Carolina joins states legislating against abortion

Updated 7/3 at 2:30pm

(CNN) – Joining other Republican-controlled states like Texas and Ohio in legislative efforts to restrict abortion, the North Carolina state Senate Tuesday amended a bill originally focused on preventing foreign laws from playing any role in state legal proceedings to include a number of restrictions on abortion.

Amended and tentatively passed by the state Senate in one day in a 27-14 vote without any support from state Democrats, the bill would limit insurance coverage for abortions, require doctors to be present for the entire procedure, make gender-selective abortions illegal and require abortion clinics to meet the same licensing standards as surgical centers. The Senate gave it final approval Wednesday and sent it back to the North Carolina House for one last vote.

The licensing requirement in particular has become a popular tactic among anti-abortion advocates, which they argue ensures the safety of the procedure. Opponents argue it is an onerous requirement aimed solely at forcing abortion clinics to close.

Planned Parenthood's North Carolina branch is calling the amended bill a "sneak attack" on abortion rights and has vowed to fight the legislation, with supporters rallying in the state general assembly Wednesday morning.

The bill was first introduced in early April and was aimed solely at keeping foreign laws, which would include Islamic Sharia law, out of state legal proceedings such as divorce and child custody.

NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina said in a statement that the abortion amendment was passed without warning or public notice, arguing that it was meant to fly in under the radar. "In the final minutes of marking up an unrelated piece of legislation, the Senate Judiciary committee swiftly tacked on every anti-choice piece of legislation introduced since January," said Executive Director Suzanne Buckley.

Opponents of the North Carolina bill have expressed an awareness of larger fights over abortion, with references in particular to the filibuster and temporary disruption of a Texas abortion bill last week. In a Facebook post Wednesday morning, the Planned Parenthood Health Systems Action Fund cautions North Carolina protesters: "FYI: As opposed to Texas, anyone who is disruptive in the Senate gallery will be arrested."

Perry renews Texas abortion battle with special session

Some protesters have even said they're "wearing their Wendy Davis shoes," in reference to the Texas state senator who staged a 13-hour filibuster last week that was buoyed by disruptive protesters who crowded into the state capitol.

As the debate rages in North Carolina and Texas, Ohio has already managed to pass controversial abortion restrictions in its state budget. Signed into law Sunday by Republican Gov. John Kasich, the budget requires ultrasounds for anyone seeking an abortion and limits the ability of abortion patients to transfer to public hospitals.

Ohio joins Texas in middle of abortion spotlight

A CNN affiliate in North Carolina, WNCN, contacted a spokeswoman for Republican Gov. Pat McCrory Tuesday night, she had no comment. McCrory said in his campaign last fall that he wasn't interested in pursuing further abortion restrictions.

A separate bill currently working its way through the North Carolina legislature would require schools to teach students that abortions cause risks of premature births for subsequent pregnancies. Opponents contest that conclusion.

According to media reports, McCrory has said he would sign that bill into law, arguing that as an education bill, it is not a limit on abortion. The governor’s office didn’t respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

The bill that the Senate passed Wednesday restricting abortions was shepherded by Sen. Warren Daniel, who referred to the "house of horrors" of the Philadelphia abortion doctor convicted of murdering live babies in defending the legislation. "This bill is about safety," the Republican said during the floor debate, according to WNCN. "If we require regulations that are burdensome on orthopedic (offices) and they can compete in the marketplace, than ... abortion providers can, too."

Marjorie Dannenfelser, President of the Susan B. Anthony List, applauded the legislation, specifically referencing the Philadelphia case. “Numerous states have rightfully taken steps to increase the health and safety standards of their own abortion facilities in an effort to protect women," she said in a statement. "North Carolina legislators, like those in Texas and elsewhere across the country, are acting on the will of the pro-life grassroots in advancing this much-needed, common ground legislation.”

Filed under: Abortion • Planned Parenthood • Wendy Davis
  1. gladiatorgrl

The American Taliban mantra:
    I want everyone to abide by my personal beliefs and imaginary God so I can feel superior and judge those who don't. I want to use a secular Gov't that I hate and don't want to pay taxes – to shove my religion down other’s throats and FORCE them to make medical decisions based on my personal beliefs. Also, I won't pay a DIME or take any of my personal TIME to raise or support any of the children I insist be born due to a total feeling of superiority and neither will my TAX EXEMPT church. I will then heap scorn upon the women who are FORCED to bear these children as welfare queens and call their children leeches on society. I will also give MEN a free pass to spill their seed anytime anywhere.

July 3, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

... ... ... Abortion as a means of saving the host's life is clearly acceptable. I also cannot see forcing a woman to carry a rape or incest pregnancy to term.
    ----–
    That's not how the right wing rolls. Gov. Perry's law prohibits any procedures after "20 weeks". I think this measure in NC is the same way, just like elsewhere.
    -------
    And that's not how the left-wing rolls, Rudy. The left-wing wants abortion-on-demand, no matter the circumstances. Do you really believe that if legislation was proposed to limit abortion to those cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother that the left would supoort it? Please... you've got to be kidding.

July 3, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. Steveo

@Donkey Party

And for those of you who say "I don't want my tax dollars going to abortions", well, first of all, it doesn't, and second of all, I don't want my tax dollars going to oil or farm subsidies, nor do I want it to go to a bloated defense budget, and for that matter, I don't want it to go to the red welfare states. Too bad we can't pick and choose, right?
    ------------
    Not true. Planned Parenthood recieves federal funding. You telling me not one dollar goes towards abortion?
    I can agree with you on farm subsidies and there is room to trim the defense budget as well. 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

July 3, 2013 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. omeany

Keep up the good work GOP! You'll be out of a job before you know it! Their War On Women continues but women are organizing to fight back next re-election. NC and Texas are going to turn blue!

July 3, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. cedar rapids

'not allowing the murdering of thousands of viable human beings is the exact opposite of a totalitarian state. totalitarian states are the states that do not regulate abortions and inspect their clinics, exposing the women to dangerous conditions.
    wwelcome to the leftist world where down is up, up is down, and murder is a healthcare 'choice'.'

...welcome to the rightist world where they will lie through their teeth that its all about safety when in fact what they are trying to do is get rid of abortion through sideways legislation.
    But please do continue to lie that its all about 'safety'.

July 3, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. CC

They loves fetuses, but hate kids, especially the ones on food stamps.

July 3, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. mattk

Land of the Free...when your government allows it to be so

July 3, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Haha. This legislation in a nutshell: "Only made-in-Amurika "sharia" and misogyny is acceptable."

July 3, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. ron

murdering babies is more then just a social value.

July 3, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. organically

Just another in the very long list of reasons that I will never live south of the Mason/Dixon line

July 3, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

If the mother's life is truly "in peril", I think you'd be hard-pressed to find very many pro-life folks that would object to the procedure as a life-saving measure. I certainy wouldn't, and I'm proudly about as pro-life as you can get.

----------------------–
    Are you feeling okay today? What you wrote is the position held by most liberals. They support limiting abortion past a time limit except for cases of rape, incest, or when the mother's life is in danger. Now Republicans want to move the time limit and remove the exceptions. Weren't you listening to any of those GOP Presidential debates in 2011? Christian conservatives are against any abortions for any reason, and THAT is what the left opposes.

July 3, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  12. jboh

TEA/GOP talibanism will be the death of America. Sneaking these bills onto unrelated bills is tyranny. Flush the TEA pot tyrants.

July 3, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. yosteff

I just want all those small government republicans to crawl out of my vagina and stay out.

July 3, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  14. Barbara

The Republican party does not want any kind of business regulations, but they sure want to interfere in PRIVATE matters. They love you when you are in womb, after that, not so much.

July 3, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. cedar rapids

"This bill is about safety," the Republican said during the floor debate'

No its not. Lets call that claim what it is...a total and utter lie.
    This is nothing to do with safety, its about trying to get rid of abortion.
    To try to claim otherwise is to simply 'bear false witness' Mr Daniel.

July 3, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Data Driven

@Fair,

Brilliantly articulated. I think what makes debate on this topic so hopeless is an unwillingness to admit we'll never agree. Alot of this comes down to "when a person begins" - and that colors arguments. I suspect you say at conception; I say later. So that will be the endless disagreement. Meanwhile, I do think common ground can be found on certain aspects. More medical supervision, yes .... but not at such a cost in sheer geography, as in Texas! Abortion for mere convenience? Not acceptable ... but how often does that occur, and is it realistic to expect people's behavior to live up to an ideal of responsibility?

Personally, I think we HAD arrived at a happy medium, and conservatives are now trying to roll back things too far. I'm sure we disagree in that too, and that's cool. Cheers.

July 3, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  17. MaryM

Correction:
    It is NEVER a good idea to try to circumvent the U.S. Constituion or the Supreme Court rulings. And that is exactly what these abortions "trap law bills are attempting. If these laws are allowed to stand, It sets a dangerous precedent for other Constitution rights to become victims of these "trap laws".
    Such as the 2nd Amendment

July 3, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"exposing the women to dangerous conditions"

Ridiculous. If that were even remotely true, you'd have more than one example to blabber about. The reality is that these GOP/Teatroll legislatures are thinly veiling their religious and sexist nonsense behind medical requirements that the entire medical community thinks are obscenely excessive, medically unnecessary, are a "solution to a non-existent problem" and will actually endanger the health, welfare and lives of significant numbers of women. These laws bear no rational relation to anything and clearly violate these states' governments' obligation and duty to protect the health and welfare of their citizens.

July 3, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. Jdubba

Try this one for size....follow the bouncing logic ball and lets see where it lands. Ok, it;s a known fact that the republicans have big trouble getting votes from the poor, hispanics, and african americans...and realistically, as long as their current tone and policies continue down this path, I don't see this changing. It's also a fact that more preganacies happen in those 3 groups than ANY other segment of our society...and if that wasn't enough, more than 58% of women are pretty turned off by anyone threatening their reproductive rights. So in theory, or maybe no so much theory, but by restricting abortion choice and forcing people to have babies they don't want, aren't the republicans and right wingers ensuring that there will be even more people out there who are angry with them and will vote against them in the next generation? I'm simply doing the math.

Republicans need to wake up and realize that right wing conservative thinking, and religion as a whole, are seeing massive defections to atheism and other less religious but more spiritual ways of life....and it' s because the extremism and extremists have gotten into the mix and gotten way out of hand......The Glenn Becks, Hannity types, Akin, etc....and their own polls confirm this! ALL of this craziness is driven by religion and religion should be personal, not jammed down everyone's throat through politics and policy. How this argument is still railing on is embarassing as a nation and sad that we preach freedom but practice hypocrisy by trying to take away a woman's right to choose. Judge not, right ?

July 3, 2013 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  20. visitor

I would prefer that men address issues caused by men, like War and Murder and Assaults and Crime in general, the vast majority on this planet which is male-caused, and leave functions of Women's Bodies alone.

July 3, 2013 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Sniffit

""This bill is about safety," the Republican said during the floor debate'"

Except the entire medical community and professional medical consensus is that this BS is excessive, entirely medically unnecessary, will significantly hamper access to medically necessary and beneficial treatments and procedures and will endanger the health and lives of countless women. GFYs American Taliban.

July 3, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  22. Yakobi

Bryan Koenig–

That should be "then", not "than".

July 3, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Thatguy371

Welcome back to 1874 NC. Make sure you put up a few places to tie up your horses when you visit downtown to go to the saloon. And allow some cows to roam the streets... adds to the effect.

July 3, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. mike

Well, if you can't have an abortion, you can really just leave a gun carelessly lying around and hope for the best and not get in trouble. Or just not care for your child under the guise of faith healing, and you're OK.

July 3, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. jimmyva18

To
    gladiatorgrl

The American Liberal mantra:
    I want everyone to abide by my personal,and non-religious beliefs, so I can feel superior and judge those who don't. I want to use a liberal, George Soros funded Gov't that I love and want Big Government to control those that pay taxes – to shove my athiest beliefs down other’s throats and FORCE them to make medical decisions based on my personal beliefs. Also, I won't pay a DIME or take any of my personal TIME to raise or support MY children, which I conceived due to a total lack of morals, and birth control. I will then heap scorn upon the innocent citizens, because I am irresponsible. I will also give MEN any s*x they want, because I'm a free liberal woman, who can open her legs any time I wish, without repercussions.

Works both ways, Honey. Get off of your liberal, high horse and get some morals and be responsible.

July 3, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |