Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker supports path to citizenship
July 3rd, 2013
1 year ago

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker supports path to citizenship

(CNN) – Republican Gov. Scott Walker said Tuesday he supported the immigration bill passed by the U.S. Senate last week, although he indicated it doesn't go far enough.

In an interview with the Wisconsin Daily Herald media editorial board, Walker acknowledged the dependency of Wisconsin farms on migrant workers, many of them undocumented. He argued against currently onerous challenges for workers to come to the United States legally.

"If people want to come here and work hard and benefit, I don't care whether they come from Mexico or Ireland or Germany or Canada or South Africa or anywhere else," Walker told the editorial board. "I want them here."

While the U.S. Senate overwhelmingly passed immigration reform last week 68-32, the bill, which would create a 13-year path to citizenship and double border security, faces a much harder fight in the House of Representatives. A number of conservative GOP leaders have criticized the path to citizenship as amnesty that rewards lawbreakers.

Immigration reform in the House looks uncertain as lawmakers quarrel

The GOP has said the bill would need "triggers" where the government could move to begin granting legal status to the undocumented only when there were guarantees that the border was secure.

Walker, who has been named as a possible 2016 presidential contender, has changed his stance on immigration over the years. According to the Daily Herald, during his 2010 gubernatorial bid he said he would support legislation allowing police to stop those they suspected were illegal immigrants. Two years later, he no longer supported such a bill.

Today, Walker believes the path to citizenship should be easier, not harder. "Not only do they need to fix things for people already here, or find some way to do it, there's got to be a larger way to fix the system in the first place," he said. "Because if it wasn't so cumbersome, if there wasn't such a long wait, if it wasn't so difficult to get in, we wouldn't have the other problems that we have (with people living here illegally)."

Filed under: GOP • Immigration • Scott Walker
  1. California

What a joke CNN is,. They take the best pictures of democrats while taking the worst of everyone else.

July 3, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Steveo wrote:

Actually you are correct. I stand corrected. The articles addressed perceived D and C Strategy not the literal words.

Must be nice to be perfect Rudy. What's your secret? P.S. Feel free to read my "I stand corrected" post to The Real Tom Paine. I am not perfect so I sometimes stand corrected.
    ------------------–
    Can't you tell time? I posted what I did long before you non-apology. You still accuse Pres. Obama of having divide and conquer strategies all in the same breathe. Your back hand "apology" is summarily rejected.

July 3, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Steveo

@Rudy NYC

The Real Tom Paine

-tom l.

Why is it okay for our President to make statements that are so divisive like "punish your enemies and reward your friends" and you don't call HIM on it? Perspective is lacking with all of the lefties here.
    *********
    In what context did he say it?
    ============================================
    If he ever said anything like that, then he was probably describing the Republicans or Wall Street.
    ------------–
    "If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, 'We're gonna punish our enemies, and we're gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us' - if they don't see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election - then I think it's going to be harder. And that's why I think it's so important that people focus on voting on November 2nd."

He said these exact words on Univision addressing Hispanic voters and why they should vote.

So now does this make you a fibberlib? GOP not Wall Street had nothing do with it.

July 3, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

-Steveo

@The Real Tom Paine

-Steveo

@Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

You're on the right side of the issue Walker, however, it won't help you in 2016 if that's what you're thinking. I still have your "divide & destroy" comments still fresh in my memory and the protests to have you recalled.
    -–
    Obama made similar "divide and conquer" statements. That bothered you as well?
    ************
    Walker literally said it, you interpreted Obama as having said it. Big difference.
    ----–
    Actually you are correct. I stand corrected. The articles addressed percieved D and C Strategy not the literal words.
    *****************
    Thank you. I'm glad you did not take that the wrong way. Perception, as we've been finding out today, is everything. My problem with Walker lies more with his dissembling even more than his policies: there are plenty of Democrats guilty of that as well. Selective truth is just as bad as lying, and Walker is a textbook case of compartmentalization if I've ever seen one.

July 3, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Steveo

@Rudy NYC

Steveo wrote:

------–
    ---------
    What makes you think I was apologizing TO YOU? I apologized to Tom. All I did was ask you to read it. Don't get too ahead of yourself!

July 3, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. The Real Tom Paine

-California

***********************
    That's just your perception, which is as utterly one-sided as you believe CNN is.

July 3, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

California wrote.

Why do democrats HATE E-verify? It would make employers obey the law.
    -----------------
    You've got that completely backwards. Republicans have always opposed E-Verify because they claim it doesn't work and puts an undue burden on businesses, both large and small. Some on the right have even called it "big government", whatever that means.

July 3, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  8. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Wow. Another Guns Over People tea potty"rising star" bites the dust.

July 3, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Tea potty wingnuts screaming RINO in 5,4,3,2,1.

July 3, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  10. S.B. Stein

He doesn't mind them becoming citizens as long as they don't make much money.

July 3, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

"Walker, who has been named as a possible 2016 presidential contender, has changed his stance on immigration over the years."

Named as a possible 2016 presidential contender by whom?
    Scott Walker is so not ready for prime time.
    Changing his stance back and forth won't make him more palatable beyond Wisconsin.

July 3, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. California

Rudy NYC

California wrote.

Why do democrats HATE E-verify? It would make employers obey the law.
    -----–
    ----
    In California it's demcorats that have blocked cities from making it mandatory for businesses to use E-Verify so in at least california your statement is false.

July 3, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. California

E-verify is easy to use (unless your a democrat apparently)

Democrats hate it because in their opinion it's racist to use it.

July 3, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |