National park on moon proposed
July 9th, 2013
1 year ago

National park on moon proposed

(CNN) – Yorktown. Independence Hall. The moon?

The site of man's first lunar landing could join battlefields, presidential birthplaces and other major American historical sites on a roster of protected places if two Democrats have their way.

U.S. Reps. Donna Edwards of Maryland and Eddie Bernice Johnson of Texas have proposed legislation that would designate artifacts at the site of American moon landings as comprising a National Historical Park, citing potential commercial traffic on the moon that could damage the areas.

Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first to walk on the Lunar surface in July 1969.

Subsequent moon flights landed in other areas and equipment from all of the space missions, which ended in 1973, remain on the moon's surface. These include the spidery bottom halves of lunar landers, flags and even a moon car.

"As commercial enterprises and foreign nations acquire the ability to land on the moon it is necessary to protect the Apollo landing sites for posterity; and establishing the Historical Park under this Act will expand and enhance the protection and preservation of the Apollo lunar landing sites and provide for greater recognition and public understanding of this singular achievement in American history," the legislation reads.

The bill specifies that only the artifacts left behind by NASA missions would be included in the park – not the lunar surface itself, which doesn't belong to the United States or any nation.

It also opens the door for corporate donations and contributions from foreign governments to maintain the proposed park.

Both Edwards and Johnson are members of the House Committee on Science and Technology.

Filed under: Democrats • NASA
  1. Dario Antepara

Pipe dream unless you can get there... Can we get there anymore?

July 9, 2013 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  2. JTR22

Noble, but stupid. Sure, we should protect them for historical sake, but where we gonna get the money for that, Democrats? And can a country establish an item its "historical property" without ever having the territory it's on? I don't think so. And honestly, who's going to protect it if we, the country who put them there, aren't willing? Other countries? Other countries don't give a @#$% about our achievements, I feel.

I'm glad to know our politicians' heads are in the stars while this country suffers.

July 9, 2013 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. jkex

I propose BHO go to the moon himself for the ribbon cutting ceremony. This would likely improve his chances when he runs for "The United Federation of Planets" presidency in 2016.

July 9, 2013 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. moon raker

"not the lunar surface itself, which doesn't belong to the United States or any nation." not YET!

July 9, 2013 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  5. MIke Connell

This is a very bad idea. We (the US) do not own the moon. It is not our territory. That flag does not mean we laid a claim to it. We cannot call it a national park when it does not belong to anyone or any nation. If anything, the moon belongs to the entire planet Earth. Call it an Earth park if anything, but it is best to just forget this lame idea.

July 9, 2013 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  6. motorfirebox

I hereby volunteer to join the Moon Rangers that protect this historic preserve.

July 9, 2013 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. MIke Connell

Do not approve my comment. I did not read the entire article, which if I DID I would not have made my STUPID comment. I should have known better than to post a comment before reading the entire article. I was an idiot. My apologies.

July 9, 2013 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  8. maximusvad

Another place for the 1% to go.....to one-up the rest of us who work for a living...

July 9, 2013 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  9. Adam

I can hear these two now, sitting around in their ivory towers thinking up the latest ways to exploit people for their liberal agenda. Taking a break, they pause, look at one another and exclaim....

"We landed on the moon!!"

July 9, 2013 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  10. Kim

While they are at it, why not put one in downtown Cairo, the US does not own that, either.

July 9, 2013 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  11. bobloblaw2.0

In order to be a National Park, the site must first be located within the borders of OUR NATION. Since it isn't even part of our planet it can't even be a World Heritage Site. It's asinine that tax payers' money is wasted on such moronic projects when we have much more pressing issues within the borders of the country.

July 9, 2013 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. USA

To the Moon Alice :-)

July 9, 2013 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  13. Jim37015

Oh yea, I'll just jump in my shuttle and buckle up the kids and go there and get my NPS book stamped.

July 9, 2013 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  14. rs

I am old enough to remember watching the b & w broadcast of the Apollo moon landing- it was very heady stuff. Sure, these adventures were expensive- but in the light of the $trillions flushed away in Iraq and Afghanistan- had that money been been spent- say on NASA (and science) how much greater the returns would have been for America and Americans.
    I'll never get to the moon, but the National Park Service really is one of the "good guys" in government, so I can support this.
    -Make it so!

July 9, 2013 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  15. InfoWars

Be cool, except we didn't land on the moon.

July 9, 2013 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  16. Reggie

Wouldn't be nice if Virgin Air sold tickets to the Moon so people can sit in the Lunar Rover? Sell lots of land for people to buy and develop or camp on the Moon. The Moon would be the perfect Mother in Law Quarters. It would be a lot better if we had a machine that would turn the Moon atmosphere into Earth atmosphere so those going there could breath.

July 9, 2013 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. nolan22erickson

Just as long as I don't have to pay to get in.

July 9, 2013 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. nolan22erickson

Seems great, just as long as I don't have to pay to get in.

July 9, 2013 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  19. Julien

Wow stupid what a waste of time and money.

July 9, 2013 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  20. Jimmyjones

1. Anyone with the money to take a leisure trip to the moon isn't worried about what laws politicians pass.
    2. Other nations will clearly be capable of heading there leisurely as well. i look forward to seeing how we enforce our laws to people who live in other nations.
    3. It's the moon. We don't own it. It belongs to no one and everyone. Acting like we own it is stupid.
    4. Isn't there more important things that need to be discussed? Really? F- Congress. You failed.

July 9, 2013 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  21. Kinard

Lets concentrate on cleaning up the mess here on the planet we live on, before planning a cesspool on the moon. Wouldn't it be better to make sure all are fed, clothed, and in homes before taking on such a monumental undertaking. If we can build a playground on the moon for the wealthy, we can help those in need here.

July 9, 2013 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  22. Damb S

Geez Whats next? National park on Mars? Classic example of why we don't need congressmen. They are a waste of money.

July 9, 2013 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  23. ROFL

How is that a national park? I don't recall the name, but I believe all (most) countries in the world signed a treaty saying that no one can own land/space outside of the earth.

July 9, 2013 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  24. Chris

Cool idea. Count me on board.

July 9, 2013 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  25. Dionysus

Yep ... your tax dollars at work. You should be proud that idiots like this work for you and strive to protect land that nobody will ever get to see. What a total waste of taxpayer money!

July 9, 2013 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |