Santorum to jump into Texas abortion ban battle
July 9th, 2013
1 year ago

Santorum to jump into Texas abortion ban battle

(CNN) – Rick Santorum's heading to Texas to put his support behind a controversial bill that would ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

According to a press release obtained by CNN that will be sent later Tuesday, Santorum will hold a news conference Thursday morning at the Texas state capitol in Austin.

Abortion has long been an important issue for the former senator from Pennsylvania and 2012 Republican presidential candidate. While in the Senate, Santorum was a leader in the efforts to pass anti-abortion legislation, including the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act.

"Rick is going to Austin this week to join those in giving a voice to the unborn," Republican strategist and senior Santorum adviser John Branbender told CNN.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry called state lawmakers into a special session to try to once again pass a controversial bill that would ban most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The measure was sidetracked by a filibuster two weeks ago by Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis that grabbed national headlines.

The push in Texas comes after other states have passed such bans in recent years, including Nebraska, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Indiana and Alabama. Arkansas has a ban in place for pregnancies beyond 18 weeks, and North Dakota has the tightest restriction in the country at six weeks, when a fetal heartbeat can be detected.

The press release regarding Santorum's event comes from Patriot Voices, his grassroots conservative non-profit organization. According to Patriot Voices, the group recently launched a petition "that has garnered thousands of signatures asking Americans to stand with life."

The press release also states that Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, as well as state anti-abortion leaders, will join Santorum at his event in Austin.

Santorum, who battled eventual GOP 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney deep into last year's Republican primary season, is considering a 2016 bid for the White House.

Politico was first to report Santorum's event in Texas.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Abortion • Rick Santorum • Texas
  1. Sniffit

"Snifit, it's was on CNN about 4am this morning."

4am indicates to me that CNN doesn't really want to talk about it and make it part of the conversation.

July 9, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

"How do you feel about pro-life women standing up for the rights of the unborn, Lynda?"

Santorum is not to my knowledge a pro-life woman, Fair.
    -------------------------------------------------
    And that ladies and gentlemen is my girl Lynda!!
    Good answer babe.

July 9, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Bill from GA

Around 1 MILLION abortions are performed per year. The high was around 1.3 million; recent lows in the 800 Thousands.

For dems to say that lawmakers should not interfere with the rights of women is not enough.
    For repubs to use this issue to make the way they do, strictly for political gain, is itself immoral.
    Both sides should look for common ground to reduce the numbers.

Really, the abortion issue is a cultural issue. Why can't Americans (male and female) take more responsibility for their actions? I'm not a religious person, but I find the number of abortions performed in this country to be offensive to my morals, and if people continue this way, we have to expect politicians to game the issue for their political gain. Rightfully so.

July 9, 2013 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  4. ja

these #$% pretend to be so prolife, yet they are still trying to repeal the affordable care act, figure the means to fund it, every war is signed off on and funded by both parties, hypocrisy

July 9, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Sniffit

"Snifit, it's was on CNN about 4am this morning."

-------------------------------------------------
    That's what it indicates to all of us Sniffit.
    4 a.m.: the new primetime.

July 9, 2013 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Chris

All you liberals must like Satan like the liberals in Texas Shouting Hail Satan. You support killing of the innocent. Guess do not care about the body inside the womb. Guess most of you do not believe in the 5th commandment.
    -----------------------–
    What does Satan have to do with it? Save it for your congregation. I guess you do not believe in the 1st Amendment, which defines that The People shall have freedom OF religion and the government shall have freedom FROM religion.

July 9, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

"Fine – using your logic, pro-choice men should have no voice in the debate either, right?"

From what I understand of Rick Santorum, he is not interested in debate. He is interested in forcing his beliefs upon others. If you are comfortable with his logic ... so be it. I am not.

July 9, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  8. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

@Rick McDaniel

Santorum's position, is why I would never support him for President. Never.

He wants to dictate to women........and I cannot support any form of dictatorship. That is why I oppose Obama......he is a dictator.
    -------------–
    WTH? Obama is for women's right to choose. Please stop drinking hater-aid.

July 9, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Sniffit

"WTH? Obama is for women's right to choose. Please stop drinking hater-aid."

He was just comparing Obama to the Ayatollah Santorum and calling Obama a dictator for other, more Teatrolly tinfoil-hat reasons that boil down to "how dare this uppity ______ tell us what to do...I'm only willing to listen to white POTUSes."

July 9, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

Lynda/Minnesota

-----------------–
    Exactly right. Santorum is on record stating that the reason he was running for POTUS was to bring his religious beliefs to the government. He flatly stated that the 1st Amendment, the idea of separation of church and state, is wrong.

July 9, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. Fair is Fair

Lynda/Minnesota

-------

July 9, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. rs

Peoples State of Illinois

Abortion continues to be used as "birth control." When we were teenagers, my grandmother told my sister that the best birth control in the world was a quarter. My sister asked how a quarter could be birth control. Grandmother's response???.....Hold the quarter between your knees.
    ____________________________
    And so with this sage advice, women of America lose their rights, and access to 85% of the Women's Health clinics in Texas (and other states). This is what is wrong with the GOP today- They want to be like Iran's ruling party, or perhaps establish their mis-guided fundamentalist mentality in American government.

July 9, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  13. rs

_________________________
    Idiotic lunacy. It's about seeing grown women as full citizens with their attendent legal rights INTACT. It is about NOT legislating women's reproductive rights with religious blather about when life begins, or doesn't. It isn't about the hypocracy of the "rights" of zygotes over full-grown citizens and voters.

July 9, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  14. Leftcoastrocky

Santorum is essentially a single-issue politician - anti-choice - which is why his political career has not been very successful.

July 9, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  15. it must be said

Lynda/Minnesota
    ---

Murder is not a "belief". No human being has the right to murder another one, especially an innocent, helpless baby.
    If the baby is far enough along to survive outside of the womb, then it is murder. Women need to start accepting responsibility for their actions and stop murdering their babies under the false pretense of "healthcare".

July 9, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. rs

________________________________
    I would agree Bill that abortion should not be used simply as birth control. However, the Right needs to aknowledge that abortion is a right of women as a result of Roe. V. Wade, and as such their "back door" methods of ending abortion through these cowardly means (closing women's health clinics where abortion is a small part of all the services provided) to support their lunatic base is simply immoral. The GOP needs to step up to the plate and make a reasoned case for ending abortion in Americ- including supporting birth control, support for single mothers and pre-natal and post-natal health care. Until they do so, they are just old, white male zealots trying to impose their rather narrow beliefs upon half the population of our nation.

July 9, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  17. rs

________________________
    You need to grasp just how breathtakingly radical the notion is that grown women need to be have their rights held hostage by their uterus- and your somewhat sick desire to legislate what happens there.

July 9, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

"And there is where we differ. You feel that he's forcing his beliefs upon others. I see it as him trying to give a voice to the voiceless."

Indeed. I'll go the next step and state on record that it is my belief he is giving voice not to the voiceless but to his political campaign coffers. Please don't take my statement as trying to force my belief on others, though. I am not running for political office.

July 9, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. Evergreen

These restrictive laws will mostly effect low income and poor women who already have very few options. I hope these states have a plan in place to help these children so that they will not get caught up in endless poverty.

July 9, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  20. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

Fair is Fair
    ------------------------------------------------

July 9, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  21. just askin

Rudy NYC

well rudy appears to have gone off the deep end.... just where in the constitution does it say the government shall have freedom from religion? it doesn't say it so please stop lying.

July 9, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. ghostwriter

it must be said....

I think the capital punishment folks might disagree with you. As well as the warmongerers. But nice way to selectively support a belief.

July 9, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  23. Fair is Fair

"Let's hypothetically say I'm a believer in scientology. You're accusation of calling abortion murder or whatever would be absurd to me due to the fact that abortion is a medical procedure which falls under science. You do realize medicine is a science right? So how are you not pushing your religious view on me? Please answer that."
    ------–
    Ridiculous straw man arguement. Abortion is a medical procedure which terminates life, which is COMPLETELY contrary to what the science of medicine is intended to do – that is, to preserve and sustain life. Yes, there are rare instances where the procedure is necessary to save the life of the mother, and I doubt you'll find very many of us on the pro-life side that would object to the procedure in such instances.

July 9, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

"Women need to start accepting responsibility for their actions and stop murdering their babies under the false pretense of "healthcare"."

Humanity needs to first accept responsibility for the unwanted children already born BEFORE humanity can accept responsibility for those in the womb. It would also be an appropriate first step for humanity to keep its collective nose out of their neighbors "business". Whether I agree or not with abortion as murdering little babies is not the issue. The issue is whether I have the right to point fingers and tell my neighbor what I think is "right" for them based on my religious morals. It is not for me to save the world. From my perspective, one who has a great deal more Authority and Power than I will ever have, has already taken care of the salvation of mankind.

That "one" is NOT Rick Santorum.

July 9, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. Faithful Catholic

Wonderful that this profetus freak will be delivering his homily at the Capitol building. Meanwhile he'd abort any program to help the actual living and breathing.

July 9, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |