Mitt Romney to re-enter political spotlight?
July 10th, 2013
1 year ago

Mitt Romney to re-enter political spotlight?

(CNN) – Mitt Romney's back.

The 2012 Republican presidential nominee will headline a New Hampshire Republican Party dinner and fundraiser next month. The event will take place on Tuesday August 6, in the Granite State's lakes region, near Romney's vacation home in Wolfeboro, along Lake Winnipesaukee.

This is the first time Romney's attended a political fundraiser since he lost last November's presidential election.

"The party reached out to Gov. Romney a few weeks ago when he indicated he was ready to get involved again in the political process, and asked him if he would be willing to raise money for the New Hampshire Republican Party," Ryan Williams, an adviser to the New Hampshire GOP, told CNN. "The dinner will give Romney's many local supporters in New Hampshire a chance to see him again."

Romney is very familiar in New Hampshire, the state that traditionally holds the nation's first presidential primary. He was governor last decade in neighboring Massachusetts, and most of the southern part of the state is in the Boston media market. He also spends time at his vacation home in the state.

Romney was a big supporter and fundraiser for the New Hampshire Republican Party and for GOP politicians and candidates in the state in the years leading up to his 2008 and 2012 runs for the White House. New Hampshire is also a battleground state in the general election, and Romney kicked off his 2012 presidential campaign in the Granite State. He returned numerous times to meet with voters.

Following November's election loss, Romney spent much of his time out of the public eye, but he recently re-entered the spotlight. Last month he held a multi-day conference in Park City, Utah that featured several prospective 2016 presidential candidates, as well as other national leaders with some of the GOP's major donors also in attendance.

In an interview at the conference with CNN Chief Political Analyst Gloria Borger, Romney said "we're thinking about ways that we can still make a contribution to a country we love very deeply."

Romney has also hinted at playing a role in assisting fellow Republicans in the 2014 midterm elections.

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. Michael Benjamin

Romney heads fund raisers – pretty sad if that's the best Republicans have.

July 10, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Bob

Bishop Rmoney raising cash..... at least he's not stealing it and destroying jobs this time.

July 10, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Gary

Hey Mitt, I hear Egypt is looking for a king. Why don't you go buy that country?

July 10, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Bob

And by the way – who's leadership is over the IRS scandals?
    -------------------------------–

The Bush appointee who was running the show.

You lose.

Next?

July 10, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

It's sad to see my party go down the tubes, but we deserve it for all the harm we have done. Sigh...
    --------------
    I hope you're not being spoofed. I hate to see the GOP imploding, too. I think it just shows that too many on the right are willing to be led by someone who is wiser than they are. Someone who is familiar with how things should be.

I said it before and I'll say it again. By definition conservatism means resistance to change, which leads only to rot, stagnation, and decay. And, that's exactly what you are witnessing in today's Republican party.

July 10, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

"Romney heads fund raisers – pretty sad if that's the best Republicans have."

To give Republicans credit ... they ARE attempting a GW makeover as well. I doubt even Romney's beloved Etch A Sketch can shake off enough GW dust to sell him as a creditable GOPer pundit. But, hey. It's worth a bowl of popcorn now and again for their effort.

July 10, 2013 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. Tom

Perry and Romney 2016 ! Unbeatable !

July 10, 2013 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  8. daboys777

Oh Mittens how I missed your story telling.

July 10, 2013 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. bcrunner

Perry and Romney 2016 unbeatable?? You are kidding... right???

July 10, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"I hope you're not being spoofed. I hate to see the GOP imploding, too."

Oh, she's being spoofed, Rudy. I personally think it is childish.

I also hate seeing the GOP imploding. There is no stopping it from happening, though. God knows, I've tried these past few years to show what I think are reasonable alternatives to the road they've been taking. I just don't see how the GOP can continue to function after Obama is no longer around to kick down the road. They have nothing. Nothing but burnt bridges to fall back on in 2016.

July 10, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  11. jules

Geez freedom, you must get your so called news from Fox – they didn't probably report that this was all a big hulabaloo over the IRS doing exactly what they were suppose to do all along. Notice Issa and the other politicians in leadership positions aren't talking about it anymore? That's because once again the GOP was found to be lying.

July 10, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  12. MaryM

I know, Mitt and Rick 2016. the dream team! hahahahaha

July 10, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Fair is Fair

-------------------------------------------------
    I find myself in rare agreement with you.
    @Rudy NYC
    It's too good to be true Rudy. She probably is being "spoofed". Fair would NEVER be this fair.

July 10, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Thomas

@Tom
    Perry and Romney 2016 ! Unbeatable !

=========

The best team money can buy !

The third time is the charm !

What was Mitt's horse's name ?

July 10, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I smell Queen Anne-toinette behind this.
    That woman wanted to be in the White House bad, really bad.
    Mittens knows that the Republicans just want him for his money. Anne doesn't care what they want him for, she got a taste of the spotlight and she's willing to buy her way back into it.
    I wouldn'd be surprised if she made him run for the, what, fourth, fifth time for the presidency.
    How grovelling distasteful these two are. No wonder they are their Party's forefront pariahs.

July 10, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  16. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

Well someone's been eating their Kolob's Corn Flakes. The only real contribution horse-Mitt can make to this country is to leave. Why is this moron still in the political spotlight?

July 10, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama: "How grovelling distasteful these two are."

Oh, indeed they are. Grovelling AND distasteful. I too have my thoughts on Ann wanting another go at it. On a lighter note, I tried to respond to your earlier comment to me. To make a long story short (and get past our CNN friends) you had me laughing in my cup of coffee.

July 10, 2013 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  18. Tom

Well, he flip-flopped on everything else, why should his desire to be in the political spotlight be any different? I'm looking forward to how he's going to "help" 2014 Republican candidates. Is he going to stick his foot in their mouths this time?

July 10, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

Well someone's been eating their Kolob's Corn Flakes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Bwahahahahahahaha!!!
    Thanks babe, I needed that!

July 10, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  20. The REAL Truth...

I'm actually quite happy to see the GOP imploding... they have not been my conservative party for some time. It is now full of demagogues who bow down to those who make the most noise, pay the most $$ and the unbending religious right. They have become the party of extremists with no platform, no policies (other than do nothing in Congress) and no platform – other than to repeal Roe v Wade and have the old white men take control over women's reproductive rights.
    They have become irrelevant and Mittens epitomizes that !

July 10, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota;
    -------------------------------------------------
    Lynda, unless you can pony up millions and pour them into their political coffers they don't care that people like you and me exist, much less paying attention to anything you may suggest, may be suffering or living through.
    These people are wayyyyy out in right filed.
    Reason doesn't live there anymore.
    Sorry my friend.
    It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

July 10, 2013 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. Sopie Meyer

So Mr. Irrelevant is looking for 15 more minutes? Shove off Willard...

July 10, 2013 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  23. gerry luimes

How interesting to see a pseudo christian billionnaire like M.R. stretch out his arms to aid the republican theocrats in destroying whatever freedom used to exist in the Divided States of America. Like the man said: Reason does not live here anymore.....

July 10, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Donald

I would like to see him interviewed by CNN. I am still confused where he stands on isuues.

July 10, 2013 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. hender1123

Maybe Romney learned some lessons and won't be fooled a second time.

July 10, 2013 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |