Palin fires back in war of words with Begich
July 11th, 2013
9 months ago

Palin fires back in war of words with Begich

Washington (CNN) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin hit back Thursday against Sen. Mark Begich after the Democratic senator, also from Alaska, argued Palin had lost touch with the values of their state.

"Really, Mark? Really?" she wrote on her Facebook page.

"Margaret Thatcher used to say, 'I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.' So, thank you, Mark Begich, for making me and others exceptionally cheery today," she added.

Speaking to CNN and Politico on Wednesday, the day after Palin said she had contemplated a challenge against Begich for his Senate seat next year, Begich questioned whether the former governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee still has enough of a connection to Alaska and its residents.

"I know she doesn't spend a lot of time in Alaska," Begich told CNN congressional producer Alan Silverleib. "I go back to Alaska a lot. I spend a lot of time in Alaska and I don't see her. She'll have to figure that out."

Also a problem, Begich said, was Palin's 2009 decision to step down as governor before her term was complete, a choice she said at the time was made due to the time and money spent on a litany of ethics complaints against her. She said then the complaints were without merit and took away from the job she wanted to do for Alaskans.

Is Sarah Palin teasing us again?

But Begich argued Wednesday the decision to depart the governorship midway cut against his state's values.

"One thing Alaskans pride themselves on is that no matter how tough it gets, not matter how tough the issues are, we stick with it through the end," Begich said. "And I think Alaskans know that she quit midway through her term. And that's the thing that sticks in people's minds."

"I think Alaskans understand that quitting midstream is not the Alaska way," he continued.

For her part, Palin took aim at Begich's voting record, faulting him for siding with Obamacare and linking the conservative Democrat with more liberal lawmakers in his party like Senate Harry Reid and Sen. Chuck Schumer.

She argued Begich was going on the attack in order to distract from "yet another bad vote for Alaska in the U.S. Senate."

It "gives us good opportunity to remind Alaskans just how loyal to the Obama agenda you have been," she wrote.

Begich, a former mayor of Anchorage, was first elected to the U.S. Senate in 2008. He defeated longtime GOP Sen. Ted Stevens, who died in a 2010 plane crash.

The 2014 race is labeled "lean Democratic" on the Cook Political Report, and the Rothenberg Political Report rates the race as toss up/tilt Democrat. Both are non-partisan political handicappers. Alaska Lt. Gov. Mead Treadwell and Joe Miller, a Republican who lost a U.S. Senate bid in Alaska in 2010, have both said they'll run against Begich next year.

Speaking to conservative radio host Sean Hannity Tuesday, Palin blasted Begich as a pawn of national Democrats who wasn't listening to voters in Alaska.

But the Democrat pushed back on that allegation, pointing to the heat he's taking from some in his party for votes on gun control and energy production.

"I represent Alaska. And when Alaskans walk into the voting booth, they pick who they think they'll represent them best," he said.

But when it comes to potentially facing Palin next year, Begich said he's not discounting any rival.

"Something I've learned in my life, running for different offices, I ran for mayor and ran for Senate, I take everyone seriously," he said. "It doesn't matter who they are, where they come from, and how much money that have in the bank, their campaign. The unique thing about Alaska politics is that everyone is a contender."

CNN's Kevin Liptak and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2014 • Alaska • Mark Begich • Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

She's such a childish little high school girl. Just shut up already.

July 11, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. MaryM

Hahahahaha! The GOP clown, failin Palin, are always good for a laugh

July 11, 2013 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. Boo

CNN – please stop reporting on this dingbat!!!

July 11, 2013 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  4. Bill

The infantile Palin continues to spout her nonsense. Pathetic.

July 11, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. Al-NY,NY

Once again, Simple Sarah needs to have her pathetic presence in the spotlight. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run Simple Sarah...it will guarentee Begich's reelection.

July 11, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

I have no interest in Sarah Palin. I have no interest in Sarah Palin "teasers". And, yes. I did need to "click" on this story to opine my non-interest. Media fascination with her is pathetic and absurd.

She is not entertaining... nor enlightening... nor intelligent... nor worthwhile...

Quite frankly, she never was.

July 11, 2013 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

The half term governor is irrelevant. The U.S. Senate is a 6 year gig. This ignoramus could even complete a full term as governor.

July 11, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

---------------------–
    Did she really just say that? Personal attacks do indicate that someone has lost the debate, but she makes personal attacks all of the time. Wow. But, why should I be surprised to hear her say that? It's Palin.

July 11, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Data Driven

Sounds like someone's feelings got hurt yesterday.

July 11, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. anonoymous

Why wont this woman go away and stay away?

July 11, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. ThinkAgain

She's angling for more money from her supporters, nothing more, nothing less. The same kind of folks who send money to televangelical preachers give to this woman – and get the same result: ZIP!

Palin = Quiiter, Liar, Mooch

July 11, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. ThinkAgain

Palin should take a cue from the CNN Ticker auto-spellcheck of her name and accept she is meaningless.

July 11, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Tom

Oh, please. Enough with the daily coverage of this publicity-addicted clown.

July 11, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

Lynda/Minnesota

-------------------

July 11, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. ThinkAgain

Flapping her lips is all Palin is good for. She'll never run, because she knows that if she did, she'd go down in flames and all her "maverick-y" cred would go up in a puff of smoke.

July 11, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. Jon in Pittsburgh

Just go away....go away now. The TWIT has nothing new to offer. Face it, you have been replaced

July 11, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. 1twinsfan

Palin's head is as vast as the Alaskan tundra.

July 11, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  18. S.B. Stein

When Palin can't answer simple questions as to what she reads (this is assuming that she does read), then that has to make people worry or at least concerned. Since she is on so many shows, you have to wonder where that is being done from.

July 11, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. Lynda/Minnesota

Rudy NYC: Actually, I would think media attention on Palin is a bad thing for Republicans. I have no problem with Republicans cheering for Palin to lead them, especially with a political record like hers. It shows their true colors.
    --------------–

I understand where you are coming from, Rudy. It does show GOPervilles true colors that they are clamoring for her to once again become a laughingstock spokesperson for the Grand Old Party.

However, it is a no win for me. I am sick of her. I am sick of her screeching voice. I am sick of her intolerance. I am sick of the media insulting me (and I suspect many millions of others) by treating her as if she actually does carry political relevance.

July 11, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. ja

palin should stick her head back in the iceberg

July 11, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. A True Conservative

Wow – so many people see her as simple and stupid. They ask that CNN stop reporting on her, yet they take the time to open the article and comment. Seems a bit foolish of them to me....but about what I expect from the left.....

July 11, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  22. Rudy NYC

Lynda wrote:

--------------------
    You have cited what I have suspected is the reason Fox pulled her off the air as the 2012 campaigns peaked. She brings out too many negative feelings, in too many people, and all that negativity gets associated with Republicans.

July 11, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  23. Guess

She quite amid numerous "scandals"? and just like that, im back! i hope she does run, and when she gets her as handed to her, what excuse will she use. why cant the gop accept the fact that most americans simply dont want them, they offer nothing for the working class, nothing, either let them control, or they wont do any work. get them out!

July 11, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  24. Hooper

Even single cell organisms have a mission, or purpose. What is the mission or purpose of this unintelligent, upright walking, yet knuckle dragging harpy? And why do people that are apparently conscience pay attention to it?

July 11, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. Data Driven

@Lynda,

I think Rudy is onto something: let the Screecher be the voice and face of the GOP. Unless she proclaims herself an Independent, she's theirs. Let them own her ... and continue to suffer image problems as a result. The headaches we'll suffer in the meantime might be worth it. :(

July 11, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |