Roundup: Reaction to Obama's remarks on Trayvon Martin case
July 19th, 2013
9 months ago

Roundup: Reaction to Obama's remarks on Trayvon Martin case

(CNN) - After President Barack Obama delivered lengthy remarks Friday on the Trayvon Martin case, many turned to Twitter to offer reaction.

Many heralded the speech as a monumental moment in Obama's presidency:

Many others, however, voiced opposition

And more offered their own takes on what the speech meant

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Truth

No, Mr. President, it couldn't have been you. You had adults in your life who were involved, like your grandparents. Where was Travon's dad? Out having fun instead of teaching his son about what drugs were going to do to his life. Why was Travon alone?

Mr. President, as a nation we feel for this family, but if they'd done their job in raising him properly, this tragedy would not have befallen them. Perhaps its time for the community that continues to produce children like this through neglect and ignorance to come into the light and recognize that they have to live, work, and join with the rest of their American brother's and sisters, and give up on this idea that they are stronger separate and angry and together and communicative, that diversity fails where integration works, and that racism cannot be blamed for the failure to take responsibility for our own lives and our own children.

July 19, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Larry in Houston

July 19, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Larry in Houston

Hate to be a bearer of bad tidings, but for the people that don't know . . . . . They are making & Building Automobiles In the SOUTH – They have been doing this for Several Years !! The writing has been on the wall in Detroit for several years !! There is Factories that are Building & making Toyotas & ecery other type of car or truck, or SUV in states like Tennessee – Oklahoma / Missouri / Alabama / Texas / And the List Goes ON. They are much better built than anything coming out of Detroit, and last longer. Those people are making 12 bucks an hour, not 36 bucks an hour, and those automobiles have extended warranty's !! Those autos aren't getting "call backs" or where you have to take your car back into the dealer, because of "re-calls" – – LOL if people could not see the writing on the wall, about 12 years ago, they must have been living under a rock.–

July 19, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  4. if the shoe fits

Obama is one creepy azz President. And a racist to boot.

July 19, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Joe P Zyck

Great to see all of the twits confirm what Obama stated. Problem is we live in a world of twits with the attention span of a goldfish. I would bet 90% of the people commenting didn't even hear the speech.

July 19, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. CuriousGeorge

Curious with all of the people upset over the verdict, how many were as outraged when OJ Simpson walked?

July 19, 2013 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. jag2power

President Obama knows that the country still has healing to do and he was very measured in his words to those of us who seek understanding of why we behave like we do. I've basically thought these same things that he so very eloquently verbalize.

"Why can't we all get along?", as the statement goes. Because we don't take the time to understand and listen to one another.

Yes, America is great. However, not because of just those simple words, but because our Nation has a history of overcoming what we once thought was acceptable behavior and later to discover that our ignorance and treatment of those who weren’t like us was cruel and unjustified. We did better and became better as a people. The bitterness and hatred of any and all from whatever culture needs to be tempered with reasoning based on appreciation, acceptance and most of all understanding. Dialogue is the key to once again open the door to a new way of seeing things and seeing others as a free people, in the free world.

It is imperative that we get it together and acknowledge that our differences are small in comparison to the many things that we have in common as a human being. The same air that I intake is the same air that another has exhaled. -I pray that peace be with all of us.

July 19, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. freedom

What?? The first black president wants us to sympathize with him? This man should not have been the first black president – he has used his very privileged position to divide this country on everything possible – including ironically – race! He should join the governor of Florida in prayer – and keep his big mouth shut.

July 19, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. John in Brooklyn

If it weren't so tragic it would be outlandishly laughable that right-winger idiots claim that a legacy of nearly 4 centuries of dehumanizing, disenfranchising, segregating, and lynching black people in America was suddenly corrected overnight when we elected a black president. Are you REALLY claiming that there is not a single instance of racism in the US today, evidenced by having a black man in the White House? You're REALLY gonna run with that argument? Really?

July 19, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Joe

I was deeply offended... Does the President not know that whites have also been the victim racism from blacks. He is seeing this thing with blinders on... and has become part of the lynch mob.

July 19, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. David

I'm a chubby white male that doesn't dress the best and I've seen people grasp their purses, lock their car doors or hurry to the other side of the road when I walk around. Obama just fueled the entire nation with more racist hatred. Congratulations Mr. President. Ya'll miss Bush yet?

July 19, 2013 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. steve e.

Obama is such a racist that he can't hold anything in. First to see that a hoodlum like Trayvon Martin could have been his son and then to say he could have been Trayvon Martin. What blatant race-baiting which can only serve to rile up blacks more. Obama is a disgrace beyond words. The first black president should have been held to a higher standard and been color blind. Instead we got just the opposite, a race baiting black man who hates white people just like Oprah. You have to wonder how this effects future presidencies, especially since Hillary Clinton goes out of her way to favor blacks over whites as well. This country has become a discombobulated flashpoint, a powder keg.

July 19, 2013 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. tom l.

@Sniffit,
    "Why is the medical examiner's testimony just simply something to be ignored for you? Wanna explain why and defend it?

And why is it that you simply ignore the testimony of the forensic pathologist? Wanna explain why defend it? Not only did he testify that Martin was on top, but that then when asked “Is this injury consistent with Mr. Zimmerman’s head having impacted a sidewalk?” the defense pressed.

“Yes,” he said again.

Wanna explain why you decide to ignore that testimony?

You're a lawyer. Why are you ignoring the testimony of themost

July 19, 2013 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. smith

His comments on Monday were what expected from a leader. His current remarks show no leadrship

July 19, 2013 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. katarina kranz

We whites are not racists, we wouldn't have elected overwhelmingly a black president. The problem is the Media. They are provoking. Zimmerman would be dead now if he wouldn't have a gun. More blows to his head would kill him. Let's be realistic , race had nothing to do with it. He followed Trayvon since it's part of security to follow a suspect. Trayvon could have just left instead of attacking Zimmerman. Zimmerman never described Trayvon as being black. Media and the Press – STOP PROVOKING! We are all equal human beings.

July 19, 2013 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. craigorie

I'm very glad the President spoke on this topic today. It was very important for ALL Americans to hear and hopefully learn more about race in America. It's sad that he had to do it but we are not an evolved society and the lack of compassion, rage and hatred toward our fellow human beings continues. You know, the Civil War never really ended.

July 19, 2013 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. carol szemplinski

Mr.president obama should not get involved in these issues,we need you in foreign affairs,I don't think this is where you should be,interferring in trials and court issues.

July 19, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. nearboston

You probably won't recognize me or even know my name. My name was Antonio Santiago.

I was the 13-month old baby who was shot in the face at point blank range by two Black teens who were attempting to rob my mom who also got shot. A Grand Jury of my mommy and daddy's peers from Brunswick GA determined the teens who murdered me will not face the death penalty because they were too young... too bad, I was given a death sentence by them for being too young, White, innocent, defenseless and in the 'wrong' neighborhood where I lived.

My mommy and daddy made the mistake of being White and living in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder was not ruled a Hate Crime. The Justice Department never even investigated my death, or if my rights were violated. President Obama didn't take so much as a single moment to acknowledge my murder or honor me.

I am one of the youngest murder victims in our great nation's history, but the media doesn't care to cover the story of my tragic demise. Michelle wasn't heartbroken. President Obama has no children who could possibly look like me, so he doesn't care and the media didn't care because my story is not interesting enough to bring them ratings so they can sell commercial time slots.

There is not a White equivalent of Al Sharpton because if there was he would be declared racist, so there is no one rushing to Brunswick GA to demand justice for me.

There is no White Panther party to put a bounty on the lives of those Black guys who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation and unlike those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller – I no longer have my life.

So while you are seeking justice, rioting and demonstrating for Treyvon Martin, please remember to seek justice for me too. Tell your friends about me, tell your families, get tee-shirts with my face on them and make the world pay attention, just like you're doing for Treyvon Martin.

Tony

July 19, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. logicalboomer81

Everyone has a different perspective about this case and the verdict based on their own experiences. The President, rightly or wrongly, is merely giving his perspective.

Some identify with Zimmerman and his statement of self-defense and others identify with Martin and their belief that he responded to being followed and none of this would have happened if Zimmerman had remained in his truck.

I believe the verdict was correct, but some of the comments say alot about us as a nation.

July 19, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. ????

Obama is between a rock and a hard place on the Zimmerman case. He knows there is nothing the Justice Department can do about this verdict. He is hoping that as time goes by emotions will subside. His fear is that if he is seen as not doing anything about the Zimmerman case, it will only alienate his supporters who will then vent their outrage at him. Not unlike the outrage that is now being directed toward the prosecutor who brought this case to trial.

July 19, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. kmhunt

I have to admit, the things Obama said were somewhat less incendiary than what I expected. Of course, from what's been coming from Sharpton and his ilk almost anything is subdued. What really bothers me about this whole thing is that this really wasn't a case where racism was the main issue, until there was spin put on it from the media. This filtered to the public. The public outcry is what forced the prosecutor to draft the affidavit which completely contradicted the police statements from the initial reports. The Prosecutor is the one who made the claim that GZ was the one to confront TM... when all other reports indicated otherwise. This case was brought to trial under false pretenses, and I pray that this Prosecutor finds herself jobless and disbarred.

What the TM sympathizers need to focus on is not what mistakes GZ made (yeah he got out of the car, and yeah he followed TM for a while), but rather the mistakes that TM made. THIS needs to be the conversation. It is NOT OK to respond by circling around a building and jumping a guy on the street. If you punch a man in the face, bang his head against the concrete, you should expect himself to defend himself with whatever means he has.

Trayvon should have continued on home when he had the chance. Shame on us for making this into something divisive and not coming together with understanding, honesty, and forgiveness.

July 19, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  22. freedom

If there are riots in the streets – it is Obama's fault! The worst president ever! Leaders are supposed to lead – not push buttons to inflame prejudice and hatred.

July 19, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. Boo

I wasn't aware that the President of the United States, because he is an African American, was not allowed the right of "freedom of speech" like the rest of us have. And for those who accuse President Obama of being a racist and "hating white people", I'm sure his mother (who is white) would find that interesting......

July 19, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  24. Wes

This, coming from the man who said his grandmother was a 'typical white person'.

July 19, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  25. michael

I think the President brought the point home! If, conservatives and concealing gun lovers do not understand what he is saying due to their polarized view; maybe, they would understand, if every white teens are now followed by black and brown men, shot killed, then use stand your ground as a defense to getaway with the murder! This would me horrifying and shocking. But, judicial decisions like these will open the doors to more of this violence! Because no one took Travon Martins side, tried to understand his fear, or his right to protect himself! George Zimmermans sold his view, which could have been thought out, planned, just in case of eventual death in a confrontation. Many have deceived, manipulated, and fleeced the jurors into making wrong decisions. What, if O J Simpson would have said, he was threatened, cut by his wife used stand your ground as a defense. White people would have been appalled at the thought that he got away. Well, most white despite of the courts decision of not guilty think that was an unjustice decision vehemently! The O J verdict should have been received as justice, if the Travon decision is justice! Stop the hypocriscy! Just look at how repulicans will no let the president cannot associate his name to immigration or healthcare bills which the country needs and which they previously supported. His name associates him with his color, ethnicity, orgin, which the repuglicans, tea party, libertians, racist, and rednecks detest. They love it when he chastises Black fathers, mothers and the young, but when he goes and support black causes that's another story.

July 19, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |