July 21st, 2013
1 year ago

Gingrich debates Bobby Rush over hoodie

(CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich criticized Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Illinois, for wearing a hoodie on the House floor last year after Trayvon Martin's death, while Rush's congressional district in Chicago continues to see heavy gun violence.

"You have a congressman whose own district is bleeding, who puts on a hoodie as a symbolic act, but he doesn't do anything about the gangs in his own district," Gingrich said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

But Rush said the Republican's argument "doesn't hold water."

“I have been working relentlessly since I’ve been in Congress, even when you were the speaker of the House and didn’t want to hear these matters," the congressman said.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

1. yerkiddinright

Who in the world cares what Newt Gingrich thinks about anything?

July 21, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  2. "An American Tradegy"

Lets say: President Obama together with some Leaders from all stripes are no "Nelson Mandela" the man beloved by all races around the world for his choice after the end of South Africa's dark history to go for "Truth-truce and Reconciliation"...so must America find its own "Truth-truce and Reconciliation" and finally unite the Nation. to be worthy of "United States of America".....

July 21, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Lizard Gingrich fails again. What a dope.

July 21, 2013 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. Jules

Can someone please let Newt know that a hoodie is a piece of clothing and that white kids wear hoodies, too, as does my white husband of 69 years. Get a clue, Newt, a piece of clothing is just a piece of clothing.

July 21, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  5. Marie MD

I am a white woman and I wear a hoodie in the fall mostly. so does my husband and probably 90% of people I see in MD.
    That being said who is ths newterman? His wife should wear a hoodie to hide that helmet hair of hers.
    Do the rethugs have anyone, and I mean anyone, who's not a demented case of what is the epitome of stu pid?

July 21, 2013 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |