McDonnell pays back loan money amid federal investigation
July 23rd, 2013
9 months ago

McDonnell pays back loan money amid federal investigation

Updated at 7:26 p.m. ET on 7/23

(CNN) – Embattled Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell announced Tuesday he was paying back more than $120,000 in loans amid federal and state investigations into gifts and financial contributions he received from a wealthy executive.

McDonnell, who has said he will not resign, added he was working toward advancing policy items in the final several months of his governorship.

He apologized for the "embarrassment certain members of my family and I brought upon my beloved Virginia and her citizens."

"I want you to know that I broke no laws and that I am committed to regaining your sacred trust and confidence," McDonnell continued. "I hope today's action is another step toward that end."

READ MORE: Virginia governor scandal: 'That's not the guy we know'

The Republican governor has been under intense scrutiny for the past several weeks over gifts and loans he received from Jonnie Williams Sr., the owner of a dietary supplement company that McDonnell and his wife have promoted in recent years.

On Tuesday, McDonnell said he had repaid Williams $52,278 for a loan made to his wife Maureen McDonnell in 2011, as well as a $71,837 for two loans made to a McDonnell family business.

Funds for repayment came from McDonnell himself, his family, and his family's business.

Cuccinelli, a Republican, owned stock in Williams' company, but sold off his shares earlier this year. He also collected more than $18,000 in gifts from the executive and stayed at his vacation house on Smith Mountain Lake.

Cuccinelli's Democratic rival Terry McAuliffe Tuesday called on the attorney general to follow McDonnell's lead on Tuesday.

"Since the Governor has begun the process of repaying Jonnie Williams, so should the Attorney General," McAuliffe spokesperson Josh Schwerin wrote. "The Attorney General should repay the $18,000 in gifts he received from the CEO of a company he was supposed to be pursuing for unpaid taxes. Instead of taking Williams and his company to court, Cuccinelli was taking gifts and vacations and buying stock in the company."

Last week an state investigation indicated the attorney general would not face charges for the failure to report the gifts, adding that there was no evidence Cuccinelli committed a crime.

"Ken Cuccinelli has been open and transparent in his race for governor, while Terry McAuliffe uses scare tactics to distract voters from his history of broken promises and unanswered questions," said Anna Nix, a spokeswoman for the Cuccinelli campaign.

CNN’s Paul Steinhauser, Peter Hamby, Kevin Liptak and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Virginia governor resignation would solve GOP problem, create another

Opinion: Will Bob McDonnell be a presidential contender?

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Virginia
  1. CB FL

If you rob a bank then after you get caught you give the money back. Then you should walk away free and clear. This guy is a piece of work.

July 23, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. Data Driven

I wonder what "policy items" McDonnell wants to "advance". I suspect a flurry of a lunatic proposals involving women's reproduction.

July 23, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Bill

Too late, Gov. Ultrasound. Any hope he had for future political office is now a pipe dream.

July 23, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Where did he get the money to repay the "loans" so quickly? His government salary isn't enough for that.

July 23, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. PaulCat

Too little-too late
    Tell him Fox News.
    I dare you!

July 23, 2013 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Isn't there a certain FEDERAL investigation that would say otherwise?
    IF you've done nothing wrong – and when I say "you" I mean your family as well,a s they have enjoyed the perks of your governorship and are an extension of you- why pay the money back?
    Let it ride. And may the chips fall where they may.
    IF you've done nothing wrong.
    I must say that if you were a regular Joe Blow and not the governor I'm not quite sure that these types of "loans" would've manifested themselves.
    You can't make these people up.

July 23, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. California Gary

If I just give back the dirty money, then everything will be ok, right? It will be like it never happened, right? NOT!

July 23, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Carlos Danger

July 23, 2013 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. don in albuquerque

Another one of those "but the law does not apply to me" GOTP'ers.

July 23, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. Sniffit

Someone's very worried about getting prosecuted.

"I see the future mayor of New York City, Anthony Weiner, has admitted to sending lewd texts to someone other than his wife even AFTER he resigned from Congress."

I see that you're lying. In his response to "The Dirty" publishing another text message, he explicitly stated that it was another photo from BEFORE he resigned...and he also reminded everyone that he admitted there were others at the time, predicted that more would come out eventually and poof, here we are rehashing something that's already old news and over simply because a tabloid decided to try to resurrect it for profit.

July 23, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Sniffit

Clearly, they need to probe deeper.

July 23, 2013 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. Carlos Danger

===>Anthony Weiner and Rachel Jeantel<===

THE NEW FACES OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY!!!

(I can't wait to see the bumper stickers)

July 23, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

July 23, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. California

Republicans/democrats both do this. Demcorats in this administration didn't pay their taxes for years. Tax cheat Timmy was the high profile one there considering his position.

Get rid of all who do this including this one.

July 23, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. lew todd

I guess the "bribe" became a "loan" after he was caught

July 23, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

Does McDonnell plan to re-imburse VA taxpayers for the use of the governor's mansion to promote Star Scientific's latest product?

July 23, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. rs

Hey Republicans-
    Forget your Benghazi-gate, NSA-gate, IRS-gate, and Lord knows what else you've cooked up- here is a REAL-LIVE scandal..... I am not hearing you.....hey? Don't you guys want Issa to hold a hearing or something? How about some PROBES?

July 23, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Malory Archer

Carlos Danger

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, so? What Weiner did IS NOT a crime. What governor v-probe did IS.

July 23, 2013 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. Gurgyl

GOP is in Doom. For a decade or two–these idiots are done. That's it.

July 23, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I guess the "bribe" became a "loan" after he was caught
    ------------------------------------------------Right.
    Shouldn't ALL thieves, then, at least those in the state of Virginia be allowed to repay money they unlawfully took and wipe their slate clean like the good Governor here hopes will happen with him?
    Leading by the example and all that malarky they demand of others other than themselves and their families and such clap...

July 23, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. lolo

Typical Republican solution to everything, just apologize and tell them that he is a christian and the GOP/TP sheep will forgive us. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23, 2013 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. SuperZee

McDonnell saying, "I broke no laws," reminds me of Nixon saying, "I am not a crook."

July 23, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Pete

McDonnell paying back a loan but funny he had to be caught and publized before he decided to pay it back and is it his money being used for the pay off or is it the company that bribed him many times before in Scientific!!Answer those questions McDonnell and see how you're treated as Democrate Martinez was publicly admonished by your ignorent party and set up by your republican thugs as well,remember buds I do!!

July 23, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |