July 24th, 2013
9 months ago

Bush 41, security detail, shave heads to show solidarity with young cancer patient

(CNN) – Last week, former President George H. W. Bush had a full head of hair when he gave President Barack Obama a pair of socks. Today, it's gone, shaved to the scalp in solidarity with a young cancer patient.

According to a statement from a spokesman for the 41st president, Bush shaved his head after members of his Secret Service detail shaved theirs, meant to show solidarity with Patrick, the two year-old son of one of the detail who is battling leukemia.

Members of the security detail have already created a website meant to raise money to pay for Patrick's treatment. His last name is being withheld along with that of his father Jon.

At 89, Bush shaved his head this week after making a donation to Patrick's leukemia treatment. Bush and his wife Barbara lost their second child, Robin, to the disease six decades ago at the age of four.

According to the release, the security detail is also organizing a motorcycle benefit run next month that will ride through the Maine countryside and host a lunch and silent auction to raise money for Patrick's treatment.

Filed under: George H. W. Bush
  1. DJ Reality

That's a good look for him.

July 24, 2013 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  2. Marie MD

It's really hard to imagine that shrub #43 and jeb are sons of President and Barbara Bush.
    Great gesture by all for this little boy.

July 24, 2013 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  3. Marie MD

@Piscataquis Anyone want to lay odds on whether or not Obama would ever do something this awesome?
    Glad you asked and as a matter of fact Obamacare, not that you were watching. The President signed the bill and standing next to him was a little boy whose mother had cancer (just like the President's mother) and whose insurance company deserted her when it was needed the most. Now insurance companies cannot deny treatment because anyone reaching the ceiling for cost of care.
    Any other questions? You rethugs really don't get it do you? No matter what you think the President does or doesn't do your party is one hundred times worse!

July 24, 2013 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Kevin H

I always thought George H. W. Bush was a good man – but I hated his policies as President. I found him to be a man completely out of touch with the reality of the ordinary man. I think now that he's in failing health he might actually be far better than he was as President.

July 24, 2013 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Daniel

Very touching. We need more stories like this.

July 24, 2013 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Wayne Rosing

Hats off to this much caring! Advise sunblock SPF 85.

July 24, 2013 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  7. S. B. Stein

It is nice to see those that can support those in need.

July 24, 2013 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  8. George Schmidt

This former president never ceases to impress me. He and Barbara are American treasures. Thank you.

July 24, 2013 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  9. Terry

Keep fighting, Patrick! Kudos, Mr. Bush!

July 24, 2013 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. ted

GB 41 was a good president. Too bad GB43 was a schmuck. Best of health to Patrick.

July 24, 2013 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  11. reasonablebe

seriously, these guys need to raise money for medical treatment of one of their 2 yr old sons??? what about health insurance? don't they have it? this child is 2- he can't possibly have reached a cap yet.

something is wrong if this child isn't covered- or if the insurance had a deductible so large the family can't cover it.

obamacare will do away with the lifetime caps- but what about deductibles? did this family choose to roll the dice and take a really large deductible to save a few bucks?

nice of bush to show 'solidarity' and make some donation..... but something is missing from this story.

July 24, 2013 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  12. Steve

Bush lost a child to cancer when he was busy conquering the world. Glad to see him slow down and reflect.

July 24, 2013 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  13. burnz

He joined a gang.

July 24, 2013 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  14. Brian

Who is Bush 41?

July 24, 2013 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  15. NorCalMojo

It's hard to hate this Bush.

July 24, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  16. Jorge trujillo

President Bush 41 ROCKS!!!!!!!! This is what we Americans are all about!!!!!!lending that helping hand. I wish for the baby only the best of everything and for my dear President Bush as always my deepest respect.

July 24, 2013 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  17. Heidi

The little guy has a secret service agent expression! So serious and totally in control of the situation.

July 24, 2013 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  18. ColdWarVet75

Steve wait until the healthy young people are forced to pay hefty premiums to subsidize older people. And KM, there is much that insurance doesn't cover such like trips back and forth for Chemo or staying near the hospital and home care. All I can say is the Annointed one would never do this. It would interfere with his golf game.

July 24, 2013 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  19. Taggot

Hey, it's Darth Vader with his helmet off!!!!

July 24, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  20. Uthor

Good for the elder Bush. Best wishes to the young fellow fighting the disease.

July 24, 2013 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  21. Cindy

Class act!

July 24, 2013 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  22. Read my lips

"Read My Lips: no new follicles"

July 24, 2013 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  23. Vern

I was not a fan of his policies. But I've always had a lot of respect for Mr. Bush. He's a good man. And this just proves it once again. Good one, Mr. President!

July 24, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  24. Ally

This reminds me of when I was child. My mother would tell me to always finish my food because there were other starving kids in the world. After finishing my meals, I would often wonder what difference would it make whether I ate all or none. I understand the underlying reason was for me to be grateful for what God blessed us with, but how would that help starving people?

While this is also nice show of support and sympathy, I don't know how Bush shaving his head could physically help this child. His charity was more than enough. That baby needs money/meds and prayers to help him get better, not a bunch of bald men!

Just saying...

July 24, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. dee

I disagree with his politics but admire this action. Not only does it support the child and his family it raises awareness (and hopefully funding) of the disease. Bravo.

July 24, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |