July 24th, 2013
9 months ago

Obama: Rest of my presidency is for working-class America

Galesburg, Illinois (CNN) - President Barack Obama pledged Wednesday to focus his energy for the rest of his presidency on the core tenet of his election victories - equal opportunity for all Americans - starting with a campaign-style speech on the economy that also appeared to launch this year's budget battle with Republicans.

Confronting deep partisan divide over federal spending, tax reform and raising the debt ceiling later this year, Obama told a raucous crowd of hundreds at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, that reversing a growing inequality between haves and have-nots should be the top priority of Congress.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Economy • President Obama
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

tom l.
    @Dominican mama 4 Obama
    "He is everyone's President."

I'm curious if you said those exact same words about GWB. I am not saying whether you did or didn't because I don't like to make assumptions.

But I can guarantee that many, many people here (most likely including Sniffit) never said those words about GWB.
    =======================

You really ought the read your posts better before you hit the post key. You do nothing but make assumptions. Including this latest post of yours.

July 24, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  2. Independent

The Real Tom Paine

************
    I agree that you gave up when you only stated that only liberals see the world interms of extremes. The Right has been pushing the envelope of extremes far in advance of anything the left has been doing, so please don't pile all this on the left. Is the Left innocent? Nope.be honest.
    ___________________

100% agreed, the right does it too, I should have said that in my post but in this blog it is largely Liberal hence the liberal reference! Everytime I critizie or question a policy or action I am called a teabagger by you and all the other liberals on here and I am far from that! But I would not say the right did it far in advance unless you have been alive for hundreds of years to observe who did it first. I seriously doubt you could back that statement up with undisputable data that supports it.

July 24, 2013 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. Independent

***Criticize....LOL spell has never been my strong point.

July 24, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. tom l.

@Sniffit
    "because if you think anyone working a minimum wage job at WalMart is able to save for retirement, then you're so far through the looking glass you're never coming back"

I'm glad you think so highly of people that if someone worked at WalMart for 40 years they would never earn a raise or salary increase or move up into a different role within WalMart or leverage their work experience to find a better job. I think you're old enough to remember the days when minimum wage was not meant to support a family but was mainly meant for part timers and younger people just entering the workforce.

July 24, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. tom l.

@Sniffit,
    I live in Atlanta. I work in advertising and have been in several WalMarts and what you say is something clearly said by someone who has never been in a WalMart.

July 24, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. tom l.

@Lynda,
    "most likely including Sniffit"

I'd

July 24, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Independent

Mikey

____________
    Right there proves my point!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am NOT a Ron Paul supporter as I stated I did NOT vote for him but if he had a chance he was the less of 3 evils!!!! As Tom L stated and I agreed with there are a number of liberal policies I fully support and some I don't! But thank you for proving my point that liberals think everyone is extreme right if they do not agree with you!!!! I have and would vote to allow gay marraige, I think a women's choice should be her's, I could on but what is the point you have a false view of people that do not fix your exact beliefs!!!!! You are the problem with America!

July 24, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. abdul schmegmagali

Obama is not our President. He is a fake, a phony, an activist, and a completely fraudulent community organizer.

July 24, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. Independent

tom l.

@Mikey
    "@Independent – Being a Ron Paul supporter does not put you in the middle. The fact that you choose to criticize liberals almost exclusively confirms your political position – far to the right."

Ummmm, not really. We have a very liberal president, therefore, just based on the content of the discussion, it boils down to criticisms of his policies which are decidedly left. I, and I believe Independent will agree, can easily criticize the repubs for their new wave of abortion laws, their stance on gay marriage (which is evolving just like our President) and the repubs fascination with intervening in foreign affairs.
    _____________

100% Agree Tom! Of course they do not talk about or even see the posts about gay marriage, abortion, and other liberal policies that I agree with, they only see the post disagreeing with them!

July 24, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"I am saying most likely but not saying I know for sure. Hence, the words "most likely" and not "including..." Surely you can recognize the difference. Or did you hit "post" too early before you really read your post clearly? :) "

Oh ... OK.

[ You must have forgotten the part where you said (and I quote) "But I can guarantee that many, many people here ...". ]

But, hey. No problem. I know you like very much to argue the little points back and forth. So, give it your best. ; )

And, now ... yes, I will end my comment and hit the Post Key.

July 24, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. just tellin it like it is

The "growing inequality" is due to all of the high school drop outs, uneducated single mothers, social misfits, criminals, drug addicts and alcoholics dragging the numbers down. People make their own lot in life. How about we exclude all these self made losers from the equation and see what the numbers show for those of us that produce in this country?

July 24, 2013 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"And I am NOT a Ron Paul supporter as I stated I did NOT vote for him but if he had a chance he was the less of 3 evils!!!!

Rondroid is a documented racist and it's proven by the people he has chosen to surround himself with and work with post-congress.

July 24, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. smith

@The real truth- It`s really simple. Two people go out to eat one person pays 65$ of the bill the other only pays 35$. What your saying is the person paying 65 dollars is some how not paying his fair share of the bill even though he has paid more. Doesn`t matter how much he makes.

July 24, 2013 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. Steveo

America is NOT back. The unemployment rate for young blacks is hovering around 50%, Detroit is belly up, unemployment is still in the mid to high sevens, and the number of Americans on government assistance has never been higher and we're back? Back to where?

July 24, 2013 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. Steveo

@Rudy
    There they go again with the class warfare rhetoric. It seems to be the topic of the day from the neo-libertarians.. They want to turn the argument about people not paying taxes into one about liberals being jealous of wealth.
    --------------------
    "The people NOT paying taxes'? You mean the 47%ers?

July 24, 2013 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. apteacher

Do you guys that saw this speech really think there was anything new in it? It is being described by many pundits as a campaign speech with little substance. Your take?

July 24, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

Please, please, please, Mr. President, start acting like FDR! He knew when to take names and kick fannies. The Repubs have shown their true colors – and a majority of Americans are NOT behind them. You won the Presidency TWICE; the Senate has a Democratic majority and the House Democratic candidates earned more votes (by over 1 million) than the Repubs.

Do the right thing, Mr. President! DO IT NOW!

July 24, 2013 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. Marie MD

If only we could get rid of most of the rethugs/tea trolls in 2013 and 2014 the President would still have two years to do what he has not been able to accomplish thanks to the one term president bunch of self appointed quasi gods in congress.

July 24, 2013 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |