Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too
July 24th, 2013
1 year ago

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

(CNN) - Let me just start by saying this: Redemption, political or otherwise, is a good thing. And by and large, voters are amenable to proffering forgiveness - especially when they believe the candidate is making a good-faith effort to reform, atone and emerge as a chastened and wiser person.

And so it was with Anthony Weiner, the erstwhile sexter who left Congress in disgrace two years ago to work on his problem, his life and his marriage.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Data Driven

Speak for yourself, Gloria. Myself, I keep my perversions squarely within the walls of my house.

(Maybe that wasn't her point, but the headline was so stupid that I couldn't bring myself to read the article.)

July 24, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. Larry in Houston

Oh Brother !! LOL – well, can't blame him, really, The New Yorkers will end up putting him in. They don't have anybody else. Guess that's the way it is, now days, it's either vote for the lesser of the 2 evils / or dumb or dumber / or who's more stupid / (like stupid & stupider) Is that a word ? 'ole weiner wants to become a "lifer" – Just think, it's all about the benefits & all the perks. Guess it's no different than who's in our highest office, right now. It's either you vote for somebody that wants to keep this country in a perpetual war ( or start ww3 ) or vote for somebody that has to rely on the Veep, for anything that he does, or decisions he has to make. pitiful

July 24, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  3. jenn, philadelphia

I'm tired of the "it only sex" or "it's between them" arguments. It's a character issue. If he lies to her, why wouldn't he lie to the rest of us?

July 24, 2013 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. California

This guy could so easily be bribed in office.

July 24, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. California

It shows just how his judgement is extremely impaired.

July 24, 2013 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Hector Slagg

No, Don't put Weiner's problems on us. There is a lot of mis information out there and adjustments are made but Weiner still isn't ready yet.

July 24, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. ????

No respect for him or his wife. Sadly, he has dragged her into the sewer with him. No matter what she has accomplished in her life, she just threw it all away on Tuesday afternoon.

July 24, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Edward

It makes you cringe to think about what this guy might have on his personal computer.

July 24, 2013 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  9. ST

I am very surprised why people should care about Anthony Weiner's behaviour, who will work for only the New Yorkers and not the entire nation. They do not care at all what the current congress is doing (doing nothing). This affects millions of people and you do not hear anyone coming forward and complains loudly.

July 24, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

While I agree that Anthony Weiner has many problems, and all of his own making, why is she dragging me (or in this case her use of "we" throughout this article ... which apparently includes us all) into the Anthony Weiner controversy?

July 24, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  11. Ol' Yeller

I don't know... If the guy who repairs my air conditioner did this, I wouldn't NOT let him repair my air conditioner anymore. I think there are a lot of Holier than Thou folks out there who tend to shrug this off if one of their own does it (i.e. Sanford, Craig, Foley, etc...), but then have really high standards when it comes to the Dems. Heck, Brett Farve' did this. What he did was really between he and his wife and is not reflective of his perfomance as a Representative. Case in point... his poll ratings were above 60% in his District after the initial scandal broke, but prior to his resignation. If I were he, I wouldn't drop out because 'saints' like Rupert Murdoch are tossing stones.

July 24, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

The hell if his problems are mine. He's a grown man who made some horrible decisions NOT mistakes. He'll have to live with them and pay for them, not me.

July 24, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  13. Thomas

He lied from day one about his actions stating he had been hacked .

He has no business in politics or public service .

July 24, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  14. the facts is the facts

jenn, philadelphia

He already DID lie to us, many times. And tried to initially blame it on other people. Weiner has a serious problem and should not be within 100 miles of a public office. Anybody that would vote for this seriously troubled person needs their head examined along with Weiner. Seriously people of NYC, are you looking to become the laughing stock of the country, and maybe the planet?

July 24, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

@DataDriven "Why would New Yorkers vote for Weiner?"

I have no idea. I guess that it is name recognition and a willingness to accept his claims to have rehabilitated himself. I've been consistently pointing out since the word "GO' that Weiner has done little to nothing to rehab his public image over the past two years. I doubt that most NYC voters are aware of the Time(?) magazine article that was done. I sure wasn't. I'd bet that more Republicans saw it than Democrats. I've also be pretty clear that I would not vote for him, simply because he has not paid his dues to rehab his image. Running for mayor of NYC is not how you do it. Why would people vote for him? No idea. Name recognition?

July 24, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Ron L

Once again Gloria Bolger shows why I have always felt she is incredibly incompetent and the reason CNN's ratings are usually very low. To even slightly imply that this mans obsession with showing pictures of himself is a shared problem is RIDICULOUS and frankly insulting. Mr. Weiner lacks self discipline, he's a liar, and frankly should NEVER be given the publics trust at any level. The best thing that can happen in this situation is the voters of New York realize this person IS NOT suitable for public office, the next poll show he has less than 5% support, and he drop out, disgraced as the untrustworthy person he is. MAYOR of New York.....I don't think so!!!!!

July 24, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Woman In California

His problem(s) are NOT mine. He's a grown man with some very serious issues which need to be resolved by HIM and HIM alone. Please quit trying to make this a national issue. In time, the people of NY will decide his fate.

July 24, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. Fair is Fair

I've got no dog in this race. NYC can have him as far as I'm concerned.

What I'll never understand, though, is how ANYONE could think that a person who clearly cannot make sane decisions in his personal life could make wise decisions on behalf of the millions who life in Gotham.

July 24, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Woman In California

No, they're not. NYC would have a long hard fight ahead of them trying to take that prize away from FL. Try again.

July 24, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Data Driven

Thanks, Rudy. I fear you're right about name recognition. Politics would be less dirty if citizens were more engaged. It's a paradox: by definition, politics is simply ego-driven vice, but the more we engage, the less despicable it becomes.

Anyway, I sympathize with New Yorkers: I live in San Diego!

July 24, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. ST

@ Fair is Fair
    There a lot of congressmen and women who make sane decisions to their personal life, BUT they are not making the same decision to the rest of the nation. Their Approval Rating tells all.

July 24, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Marie MD

He is not my problem! He was a good rep and did a lot from the first respondents after 9/11 but he has a problem and it needs to be fixed!
    As far as laughing stock, we already have SC, FL, IO, LA and other states WH deviants and crazies. It's not just NY.

July 24, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

Ron L

-------------
    Gee, you loved her article that was posted last week, "What the approval drop means for Obama".

July 24, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Marie MD

If Weiner was a rethug/teatyroll the party would be circling the wagons around him.
    Sort of what they have done with vitter (prost), sanford (apallachian trail), any of the rethugs who say something then apologize.

July 24, 2013 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. gotoin fowars

Ya'll have the exact same arguement on every topic. republican vs democrate, red vs blue, my guys better......and on........and on. Maybe we the people should just hold all elected officals accountable for their actions dispite party. Maybe we should get to ask real questions instead of yelling at each other about nonissues.

July 24, 2013 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |