July 25th, 2013
9 months ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Airbornevet

This guy messed up.

~Aaron Hernandez

July 26, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. ritmocojo

Didn't she initiate the texts with Weiner?

July 26, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. NO TRESPASSING

Did this woman got paid for interview?

July 26, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. DinaeB

I'm sorry, but these women are not victims! She was not manipulated – she believed what she wanted to believe, despite what she knew about his situation.

July 26, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. tet1953

I think everyone involved is stupid and immature, but for Leathers to involve herself in something like this and then claim she feels manipulated is ridiculous.

July 26, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Ted

This girl is an idiot.

July 26, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  7. Rimo63

Agree w/ Ted and TeT1953.
    There is one thing she knew and that was this was a married man, period! ...and she feels betrayed because he's telling HER one thing and his WIFE another. What happened to the "good ol days", when a floozy got involved with another women's husband, at least she had the decentency to be a little ashamed. Parents must be so proud.

July 26, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. SueB

The guy is disgusting and so unattractive – what woman in their right mind would put up with his crap?? YUCK. The Leathers girl was just looking to get famous out of this. The one who looks the worst in all of it is his wife, the doormat. Have some self respect and get outta there, Huma!

July 26, 2013 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. lol

She felt manipulated? No, the real problem was she wanted to be physically manipulated by a powerful yet married man to get rich and famous and when that didn't happen, she decided to manipulate him so she could at least get her 15 minutes. I think all parties involved in this need thrown into a huge pillowcase and beaten with a bat.

July 26, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Greg

Playing "professional victim" who is not responsible for her actions.

July 26, 2013 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Tanker

Ms. Leathers, you are a light weight who sought out a man you KNEW had a problem with women, you engaged him in a relationship knowing he was married and then you outted him to the media to get your 15 minutes of fame.

Right now the Devil is digging a special level, just for you darling...

July 26, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. Cheri

Praise to her for bringing out the truth behind this poor excuse of a man. I'm glad she spoke out – if not her, it would be someone else. I hope more come forward.

July 26, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. chanruss

July 26, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. eire33

this guy needs help we know that! he won't get any votes, that is his punishment period. We don't need to meet the girl or any details please there are more important things to worry about.

July 26, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Concerned American

We let this classless person get a section on television and newspaper to speak about her perniciuos attempt to seduce another woman's man. Come on America! Are there no other stories to cover such as world hunger, global warming, etc.... I bet she got paid to talk about her whorish behavior. Now she's the victim. I don't care to read about her and Weiner's setting or any other politica figuresl infidelities. Let the man deal with his wife and let the want to be Monica Lewinsky climb the geriatric politicians pole, since she's so passionate. This story got to much attention time to shut it down.

July 26, 2013 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Ol' Yeller

"This man needs to be executed in public with a M-16 shoved in his mouth and 30 rounds empty into his body and aired on the national news. Yes!!!!!!"

Nice. Yes, that is what America needs.
    Weiner is what he is. He didn't force himself on anyone. He never actually met this girl, who- BTW- voluntarily participated in this activitiy with him. This Leathers lady (I use that term lightly) actually reached out to him, according to her initial statements. Now she feels manipulated? I think this is the polar bear calling the snow white.

July 26, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. Rock

Seriously?? Why did she continue emailing him??? She used "entrapment" for her 15 minutes of fame!!! I guess it never dawned on her to STOP Emailing.....How sad she thinks so little of herself...

July 26, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. Rock

What he did was wrong...but each woman that continued a dialogue with him is just as guilty...don't tell me there aren't married women out there doing the same exact thing.... he wasn't a polotician would any one care? I doubt it...

July 26, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Madeline

Ol' Yeller

____________________

Response: You're a nut! You should move to Afganistan and join the Taliban. You would be right at home. Now, Weiner is certainly not fit to govern in any capicity because his actions show that he lacks judgment. Therefore, he should not be elected to office. (Incidently, Bill Clinton was guilty of the exact same thing but the Democrats defend him while crucifying Weiner.) Nevertheless, these women were willing participants, so no crime was comitted. Weiner should be free to get a job somewhere where he doesn't have a leadership role and where he will be held accountable to follow the rules. And Hillary and Bill should be doing the same thing.

July 26, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. anuradha

She knew all that before when she was online, she knew he has a wife and his life ..... now she should expect the worst as a result .... thats normal.

July 26, 2013 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. PostagePaid

How funny that most of the comments here are lambasting her for texting a married man – he was the one with the wedding vows. Funny how the woman is held responsible for both ends of the interaction. What a shameful misogynistic society we live in where she's burdened with the backlash from his misdeeds.

July 27, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |