July 25th, 2013
12 months ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Marie MD

She felt manipulated? There's so much that can be said about this chic. You knew who was and nw you are in it for the publicity. That elusive 15 minute of fame or infamy anymore.
    You are 23 yers old but you didnt have sense enough to stop what you were doing?
    Next for you is hefner calling.

July 25, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."
    -------------------------------------------------
    Yeah but would you recognize him in a nude photo lineup?!
    Shut up and sit down lil' girl. You're just out there trying to get paid.
    Your blog friend whatshisname got the jump on you this morning.
    You don't care who the real Weiner is or anything else. You're just trying to ensure they spell your name right on that check.
    Your jig is up.

July 25, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

Weiner and Leathers – Stranger than fiction... AND the moron Leathers actually thought he would tell her the truth.

July 25, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. PJ

Well, she didn't get the condo I guess. Maybe she should try her luck at "Penthouse", and take him with her.
    I'm sick of Wiener and everything he has said or done. New York City most certainly deserves better than this.
    I imagine Bloomberg looks pretty good to the people now.

July 25, 2013 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. Dave

She knew all along who he was. She is in it for money and her 15 minutes of fame. Get a real life and get off of the net with your game playing.

July 25, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. s

Good thing she is white. We hate for her to be a minority because we would say, "Oh she knew better, she just trying to get this Weiner to pay for all her illegitimate children. Or better yet, "She on welfare, and she wants the Weiner money added to her pot of lazy self worth." Hello?!?! Where are all the racist comments on this one?!? GO figure!

July 25, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  7. S

If they are white they are always the victim, no matter how you look at it. They see themselves as the victim. That's the fragile mind of a non-minority.

July 25, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Thanks babe. You are an inspiration to us all. And ditto to Wiener. I need to go take a shower.

July 25, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. mashstream

July 25, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. California

She's a parasite like the rest of the left.

July 25, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. PIchach

She and he are very small people. We're not much better for spending any time thinking about them or their failures.

July 25, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. really

isn't sh ethe smartest woman on earth? first she enjoyed with him and now she is openly accusing him. gals like her are a burden to humanity.

July 25, 2013 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Anonymous

OMG, this woman is something else, Gril, grow up. Oh wait a minute, you are growm up acting a like a stupid kid.

July 25, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Ricksta

The goldigger motive is easily recognizable, just as it was for the ones who sensed profit from Bill Clinton.

July 25, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. Mike

Wait a second. She knew he was married, knew about his former scandal...yet SHE felt manipulated???

It appears that SHE is doing the manipulating here.

July 25, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. 2Km N of GZero

She felt manipulated by somebody called Carlos Danger? How about if he called himself You R A Dimwit?

July 25, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. rjo3491

...and she loved every minute of it.

July 25, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. Az

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

What else would one expect from a cowardly abuser?

July 25, 2013 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  19. Vader

Please... just... go away.

July 25, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. Bob

This gal is phonier than a three dollar bill, she's in it and got it for nothing more than personal gain. An opportunistic bloodsucker is an apt description.

July 25, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  21. MrsFizzy

Is that her real name?? How dumb – "he tricked me!!" Disgusting thing is she is probably making money from this too.

July 25, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. Lisa

@california – yes because the millions of people who are "left" or vote democratic are exactly like these two losers. Yes, definitely!

July 25, 2013 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. Mia

Leave married men alone.

July 25, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  24. Mike

She knew he was married before the first time this was ever made public, she's a home wrecker and a liar.

July 25, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  25. Wannabe

What I don't get is why he keeps trying to play this off like he was just having indecent conversations with this girl and other women. Judging by the fact that she claims that he was going to set her up in a place in Chicago, its seems to me like he was certainly trying to set the stage to have a physical relationship with her (and probably others). Why doesn't he just call it what it is and admit that we was cheating on his wife on multiple levels. What a tool.

July 25, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |