July 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Francisco Decastro

22 years old is not THAT young. That is old enough to know. It's not like she was 18.

July 26, 2013 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  2. Vladimir Freep

Let's be perfectly honest: this woman is a tramp. She knew Weiner was married and knew exactly what she was doing. She's every bit as bad as he is.

July 26, 2013 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  3. Lird Vader

Im sure she felt manipulatex after Wiener rejected her pricey offer to keep her mouth shut.

July 26, 2013 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  4. Cathy

She has as much class as Weiner and is proof positive that Weiner is out of control. He knew exactly what kind of woman he was dealing with and that when the time was right she would be in it for her 15 minutes of fame. "He manipulated her" come on, she is 23 not thirteen. This woman is pathetic.

July 26, 2013 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  5. xanthippe6

Oh man, oh man, is this stuff for real?! Stupid, stupid girl, grubbing for money! Society these days is so shallow...yuck!

July 26, 2013 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  6. Yavin

The downfall of NYC.

July 26, 2013 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  7. Darnell

Wiener... Bill Clinton ... Ironic that the LIBERALS are the kings of womanizing.

July 26, 2013 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  8. corpsman

Weiner & Leather: Two first class losers.

July 26, 2013 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  9. I-do-not-care

Who cares...do not vote for this clown, unless you see fit...why is this news?

July 26, 2013 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  10. JOE B

The real problem is that the voters continue to elect very bad people even when they know they are bad. As an example former Governor Sanford was elected to the office of Congressman. Sanford disgraced his wife and the state of south carolina by cheating on his wife.

July 26, 2013 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  11. David Witcraft

I blame Weiner's poor judgement, for exposing ME, to these leeches getting their 15 minutes of fame! They should all join the Monica Lewinsky club!

July 26, 2013 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  12. FidyCents

I've been saying this about progressive politicians for quite sometime. Maybe these youngsters will finally learn.

July 26, 2013 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  13. lue

like anyone should care what she thinks, shes some nasty chat room girl. shes no better than weiner.

July 26, 2013 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  14. Martina

I didn't know that Monica Lewinski had a younger sister.

July 26, 2013 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. California

Nobody know who the real wiener is not even his wife.

I say vote him in office and we have yet another lame democrat to easily pick on.

Democrats are dumb enough to vote him in that's for sure.

July 26, 2013 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  16. Jeff6187

My only question about Weiner and Leathers is .... WHICH one is trashier !?!? That's a tough one. Can't they just both go away and never come back???

July 26, 2013 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  17. hotpatata

When Miss Leathers (yeah, that's right) says she felt "manipulated", what she really means is that she felt is was time to seek out a book deal.

July 26, 2013 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  18. Terrance James

I wonder Who's manipulating Who

July 26, 2013 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  19. luvlar

Great. Another simply minded female who's not responsible for her actions. How can I get people to notice me more? I got it, purple lips.

July 26, 2013 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  20. Jenn

I am interested with what this lady's need to speak to news agencies about this was? How much was she paid etc...

July 26, 2013 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  21. CherryMama

Gee, overdid it on the makeup just a little? Makeup is supposes to enhance your looks, not blind people. She looks awful.

July 26, 2013 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  22. TruthwillPrevail

Pelosi blasts Weiner....what ???a SICKO telling on another SICKO...wow!!!

July 26, 2013 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  23. Sammy Z

Did he embezzle public money? Then someone wake me when it actually matters because I don't care about his personal life.

July 26, 2013 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  24. K

Wake up..he was playing with you...this wasnt a relationship...this was an online game...now time to get back to reality..ugly girl..

July 26, 2013 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  25. DOROTHY

Hei girl this is how the game is played on social media.Most sayings are lies and you take them serious?Have a life.He never had any feeling for you and he was chatting with many others in the same way.Grow up.

July 26, 2013 01:28 am at 1:28 am |